What's new

Can we talk about how Quin is ride-or-die for Bogdanovic?

Cmon. What about this particular instance with 17.9 seconds against the Cavs?
I can see an argument for it. But I trust Bojan more in the situation. He isn't athletic but he blocks out more than others and tries to stay in front of his guy and has been extremely clutch his whole career and not just at shooting. He makes less dumb mistakes than a lot of people. Avoids bad gambles and bad fouls in this situations.

Maybe if Gay was playing good defense all around this year, but he isn't yet. I do think Gay also doesn't make as many dumb mistakes in these situations and rebounds better overall. I would trust both. You also don't always want to call a timeout right away to swap guys depending what happens.

I trust Gay and Bojan on both ends of the floor more than Royce. Royce is a great hustle guy and energy guy. He does a lot of small things. But he gambles and isn't great at staying in front of his guy 1v1, he makes mistakes more than them. I don't think he handles the pressure as well.

We literally lost a game in Sacramento a couple years ago that Bogey missed a box out on Harrison Barnes. I was in attendance and very sad.
I've seen every player on the Jazz miss out on box outs, a lot. Gobert had missed some bad ones, but I would still always want him in. I would guess in that game he also made some big plays to help us make a comeback.

In the clutch this year Bojan has the 2nd best defensive rating and 2nd best bet rating only behind Conley this year. 2 years ago he was 3rd best defensive rating behind Gobert and Conley. Last year was his worst at 4th best defensive rating behind Gobert, Clarkson, and Ingles.

In the game overall this year Bojan is getting more contested rebounds than Royce. Last year Royce got more, the year before it was even.

Another thing I hate is when someone starts to heat up and hits back to back three's or something and then immediately comes out of the game because Quin can't deviate at all from his rigid substitution pattern.

I guess my point is the hate for Bojan is strange to me. So many bigger problem areas then him. When he's healthy and maybe besides when he was coming back from injury he has been really good for us.
Agreed. Im a big fan of his play this season.

This is something that does not keep me up at nights. Quin is a system coach and having Bojan in fits his system.

I've seen every player on the Jazz miss out on box outs, a lot. Gobert had missed some bad ones, but I would still always want him in. I would guess in that game he also made some big plays to help us make a comeback.
He did... the box out was bad though and it was a last second tip. I don't bench Bogey though... I don't get the anti Bogey sentiment that seems to be brewing. I think Gay and Bogey are a good blend and I think those that want Gay to up his minutes are asking too much. If you have a chance to go offense for defense in a situation like yesterday then you should do it. There was like 15 seconds left and Cavs had the ball... so defense is the only thing that matters. Gay has been a god send on the glass.

He did... the box out was bad though and it was a last second tip. I don't bench Bogey though... I don't get the anti Bogey sentiment that seems to be brewing. I think Gay and Bogey are a good blend and I think those that want Gay to up his minutes are asking too much. If you have a chance to go offense for defense in a situation like yesterday then you should do it. There was like 15 seconds left and Cavs had the ball... so defense is the only thing that matters. Gay has been a god send on the glass.
I’m pro-Bogie, fwiw. I’m not advocating for any trades, for example.

There’s no question that he gets hunted by opposing offenses. And that Gay would have been better during those 17.9 seconds is just a super-specific example of me saying that he’s limited in some ways.

I guess my point is the hate for Bojan is strange to me. So many bigger problem areas then him. When he's healthy and maybe besides when he was coming back from injury he has been really good for us.
I agree... he's been very good and he seems to be trying to do the other things at times. His passing has been solid lately. Last night was a pinch hitter defense situation and that is when he should be subbed out.... just the last 15 seconds.

If we want to move anyone it would be JC to me. I love him and there are times when I see how important he is... but damn he is rough at times. Last night it seemed like every time bad things were happening on offense he was involved. His defense was solid at beginning of the year but last couple games he's had some times when he lost focus and gave up layups or wide open threes. He needs to focus and try harder... physical limitations are one thing... effort and attention are another.

I’m pro-Bogie, fwiw. I’m not advocating for any trades, for example.

There’s no question that he gets hunted by opposing offenses. And that Gay would have been better during those 17.9 seconds is just a super-specific example.
Correct. I get what you were saying but then other posters don't see the nuance and just think he sucks.

I don't know how we flip JC for the defensive minded wing we need but adding in that guy to Royce, Joe, Bogey, Gay at the 2-4 positions would put us in a pretty good spot.

Here's another question: Should Donovan Mitchell be in the game during a single possession where all we need is a defensive stop?

My biggest beef with Quin and Bojan is that it's another one of those situations where Quin locks in to a certain role and doesn't deviate from it. That manifests on both ends of not hiding his weaknesses and also not playing to his advantages. Why does Quin continue to let him put the ball on the floor? We don't actually run any plays for him and the only time he creates is if he gets the ball up top in a set offense and he tries to drive into the lane. I'm curious why 1) Quin is comfortable with this and 2) why Quin can't run some actual plays for him. It'd be so much more efficient if we entirely cut out #1 and completely replaced it with #2. We could maintain the same usage while drastically improving efficiency. I know they're not exactly the same player, but go dust off the old Korver playbook. Have more catch and shoot opportunities where it's designed to get him open. He's averaging only 7.4 3PA per 36 minutes. Clarkson is averaging 12.9 3PA per 36. Hell, even look at some old Harpring plays. Every time Bojan puts the ball on the floor with a defender in front of him, he should owe Quin 20 pushups. Make up for it by giving him more catch and shoot opportunities. These are there. They'd be easy to create.

Here's another question: Should Donovan Mitchell be in the game during a single possession where all we need is a defensive stop?

I think Don's defensive issues are mostly related to desire and effort. If he's locked in, which he should be for one possession, I think he can be one of the better defenders on the team. He's always had that ability, but his effort and interest in playing defense has waned.

I think Don's defensive issues are mostly related to desire and effort. If he's locked in, which he should be for one possession, I think he can be one of the better defenders on the team. He's always had that ability, but his effort and interest in playing defense has waned.
He also can go get out of area rebounds. Rebounding was my key concern last night on that last possession.