What's new

Chad Ford's latest Mock, June 9th

I too don't understand that concerns over Cousins. On the court, all the "attitude" problems I've seen have been competitive issues. He's overly emotional and competitive in the way that Karl Malone or Rasheed Wallace were. I don't see much Derick Coleman in him, as Derrick just didn't give a damn. So I'm w/ya TICC. If he falls to 6 we gotta get him. Not too often will you find a big aggressive athletic player like Cousins.

If only attitude were the only issue with Cousins. You also have the fat potential (and it's kind to use the term "potential" since his body fat already is at a ridiculous 16%) and the fact that he doesn't defend.

That said, if he can keep from getting too fat, he could be dominant enough on the boards and offensively in the post that the lack of defense and the attitude may not matter.

At the 9 spot, I`d take Monroe or Patterson - which ever one is left. Monroe i guess if they are both there.

How does Babbitt improve our team? Don't we need more post players, more defenders, shot blockers, length, somebody who can create, and athleticism? I haven't seen much of Babbitt, but all the scouting reports seem to indicate that he's a lot like Mike Miller, Linas Kleiza, or a bigger Kyle Korver.

Would drafting him indicate an upcoming trade of CJ, AK, or Matthews?
If Babbitt were the only move, then I'd be disappointed. But I can see the following scenario arise:

1. I'm 99.9% convinced Utah won't re-sign Boozer. Too expensive, performance vs. LA, recent comments from Greg, comments last season when Millsap offer was matched, etc. Just my opinion, of course.

2. Chances of re-signing Korver are 50/50, IMO. I think he pi$$ed off Deron and the coaching staff by playing for the record and passing up open jumpers down the stretch. CJ's emergence as a 3-pt threat and the "go-to guy" on FT's also makes Korver expendable.

3. I know there are fans hoping AK would accept half of his current salary to return, but I don't want that to happen. His game is predicated on quickness/reaction and he's already shown signs of losing 1/2 a step and being chronically injured.

Draft Babbitt and the Jazz would eventually have a decent 3-man rotation at the wings: Babbitt, Matthews and CJ can all get 32 mins each. By February, I'd like to see Babbitt start with Chucker taking over the 6th-man role. I think that's a perfect situation for CJ. He comes in at mid-1st/3rd at SF, then slides over to SG in the 2nd/4th when Matthews goes out.

Babbitt would be worked in slowly, allowing AK to play SF and backup Millsap at PF until the trade deadline. Then you trade AK's expiring for the best offer available, hopefully a decent big and a 1st round pick for 2011.

Jazz will never match up with Gasol, Bynum and Odom. But the Celtics have shown the Lakers are vulnerable to a team that has shooters. Allen and Rondo lit them up in Game 2. Unfortunately for the Celts, those old legs just didn't recover fast enough in 2 days.

Last edited:
If only attitude were the only issue with Cousins. You also have the fat potential (and it's kind to use the term "potential" since his body fat already is at a ridiculous 16%) and the fact that he doesn't defend.

That said, if he can keep from getting too fat, he could be dominant enough on the boards and offensively in the post that the lack of defense and the attitude may not matter.

The flip side to this argument is he was the most dominating big man in college basketball last year with the body fat, and the attitude. I can see Cousins being one of those guys who frustrates because you never think he's reaching his full potential, but I think he's going to be plenty good while he's doing that. That's a big boy with real skills.

Not to urinate on everyone's lunch today, but watching Luke Babbitt on this video... With the hair... and everything... Reminds me of one player.

ADAM MORRISON.

All he needs is a pedophile mustache and I wouldn't be able to tell you the difference between the two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0_PCqoB0aI

I truly just don't understand why we'd be interested in Babbitt. What does he give us that AK and CJ don't? His cons only make our own liabilities (length, athleticism, ability to create, defense, etc) worse.

Did you seriously just post this video and then make the claim that he doesn't have the ability to create. This guy is clearly very imaginative and has good court vision for his age. His ability to create his own shot is already as good as CJ's. Also, in case you weren't paying attention, AK is soon to be on his way out or on the DL.

As for this whole "not trusting white wings" thing... well, it has got to go. If AK and Joe Johnson were coming into the league as prospects right now nobody in their right mind with draft Johnson over AK. (maybe you should read this twice before, or if, you decide to retort).

Cousins in my opinion is a slightly more talent Eddie Curry.

Babbit reminds me of Mike Dunleavy but a better athlete and finisher but not as good passer.

The flip side to this argument is he was the most dominating big man in college basketball last year with the body fat, and the attitude. I can see Cousins being one of those guys who frustrates because you never think he's reaching his full potential, but I think he's going to be plenty good while he's doing that. That's a big boy with real skills.

Which is why I said he might be good enough in the post and on the boards that you can live with the other issues. But remember, he was only 18-19 last year - he was most likely as thin as he'll ever be - in other words, that might be the best we've seen him if the fat becomes a problem. Doesn't mean he's the next Eddy Curry for sure, but the potential is there - I can see why some teams would be scared off.

If Cousins is really going to slip out of the top 4, the Jazz NEED to move up to get him (if at all possible). Sure, he's not the defender or athlete we want, has a bit of an attitude (although he seems to have loads of competitive fire, contrary to what some idiots are saying), but both his size and skill level are phenomenal. He has the size and talent to become the best two way big man to enter the NBA since Tim Duncan.

Plus he has a mean streak on defense. I would love to see him in a Jazz uni.
I want a Jazz team that is nasty, and tough. Adding Cousins would be a nice step in that direction.

Regardless of how the draft goes - unless by some chance Cousins or Johnson slips to 9 - I'd love to see the Jazz use the #9 to get Memphis 12 and 25.

I see a lot of Chase Budinger in Babbit and didn't Chase go 44 to Detroit?

If Babbitt were the only move, then I'd be disappointed. But I can see the following scenario arise:

1. I'm 99.9% convinced Utah won't re-sign Boozer. Too expensive, performance vs. LA, recent comments from Greg, comments last season when Millsap offer was matched, etc. Just my opinion, of course.

2. Chances of re-signing Korver are 50/50, IMO. I think he pi$$ed off Deron and the coaching staff by playing for the record and passing up open jumpers down the stretch. CJ's emergence as a 3-pt threat and the "go-to guy" on FT's also makes Korver expendable.

3. I know there are fans hoping AK would accept half of his current salary to return, but I don't want that to happen. His game is predicated on quickness/reaction and he's already shown signs of losing 1/2 a step and being chronically injured.

Draft Babbitt and the Jazz would eventually have a decent 3-man rotation at the wings: Babbitt, Matthews and CJ can all get 32 mins each. By February, I'd like to see Babbitt start with Chucker taking over the 6th-man role. I think that's a perfect situation for CJ. He comes in at mid-1st/3rd at SF, then slides over to SG in the 2nd/4th when Matthews goes out.

Babbitt would be worked in slowly, allowing AK to play SF and backup Millsap at PF until the trade deadline. Then you trade AK's expiring for the best offer available, hopefully a decent big and a 1st round pick for 2011.

Jazz will never match up with Gasol, Bynum and Odom. But the Celtics have shown the Lakers are vulnerable to a team that has shooters. Allen and Rondo lit them up in Game 2. Unfortunately for the Celts, those old legs just didn't recover fast enough in 2 days.

Ditto.
Plus, Babbitt WILL become a decent defender. Reasons: 1) He is extremely athletic. 2) He has a big strong frame--we aren't talking about Kevin Durant--this guy is built like a 4, but moves like a 3. 3) He works hard. 4) He handles himself professionally and responsibly. 5) When has Jerry Sloan not turned anyone who wants to learn into a great defender?

Where is Patterson I wouldn't think he'd fall that low, also just speaking on the players left on the board in that mock I'd rather have Henry, Patterson and maybe even Aldrich or Davis over Babbit.
But if the Jazz really believe he could Mike Miller type player then I guess I couldn't be all that pissed.

I think Babbit's upside is all about how well he can shoot off the dribble and drive hard to the rack with some inside moves.

I think Babbit merits some comparison to Keith VanHorn, but I'm hoping Babbit is a bit quicker and a bit less mechanical. I think Paul George ought to be considered as well at the 9 spot.

Babbit looks like a skilled, well-rounded and pretty tough player though.

Last edited:
Ditto.
Plus, Babbitt WILL become a decent defender. Reasons: 1) He is extremely athletic. 2) He has a big strong frame--we aren't talking about Kevin Durant--this guy is built like a 4, but moves like a 3. 3) He works hard. 4) He handles himself professionally and responsibly. 5) When has Jerry Sloan not turned anyone who wants to learn into a great defender?

Did he used to play Football too?