What's new

Collin Sexton SZN

For the life of me I don’t know why it took so long for Hardy to see the light and start Sexton, but he’s still not getting starter minutes. He’s been pulling in 20-22 minutes lately it seems.
He's a super high-pace player, though. Could be you get higher quality minutes if he plays fewer of them.

What I really enjoy about Collin's game is that he doesn't settle for jump shots anymore. He can be Sonic the Hedgehog and fly by his defenders or he can take it slow and bully "smaller" defenders such as 6'6'' Taurean Prince, but he really utilizes all that space our five-out line up offers.

I am enjoying Sexton's game more than I did Mitchell's game. Mitchell is better. But, Sexton seems to be bringing a more team oriented game to the floor.

Sexton’s stats during this current 6-game Jazz win streak:

23.3 PPG, 5.3 APG, 2.3 RPG

61/56/93 shooting splits

140 points in 138 minutes on 81 total shots

74.3 TS% and +66
Give a per 36 bro. He isn't playing enough minutes (his minutes this season are actually down from last year. A year when we had Mike Conley for a large chunk too)

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

The Pistons are desperate and they offer you their 2025 and 2027 unprotected for Sexton.

Do you say yes?

What kind of sell high deal for Sexton would you consider? A KOC Ringer article seemed to suggest Sexton might still be on the trading block with how high the Jazz are on Keyonte.

The Pistons are desperate and they offer you their 2025 and 2027 unprotected for Sexton.

Do you say yes?

What kind of sell high deal for Sexton would you consider? A KOC Ringer article seemed to suggest Sexton might still be on the trading block with how high the Jazz are on Keyonte.
Yes. This is the infection theorem of wanting to trade guys when their value's low and then watching their value rise and, in turn, not being willing to sell. This isn't a slight to Sexton.

The funniest thing ever. Donovan Mitchell BEST shooting season ever (last year) was 48/39/87.

Sexton this year: 49/37/90 (last year 51/39/82)
Lauri this year: 50/40/88 (Lauri also had that same line last year)

We traded one volume scorer for two more efficient volume scorers, and Ochai + a bunch of picks and swaps.

It’s interesting, Hardy told Locke in an interview that he let his pre-conceived notions of Sexton affect the way he thought about him at first. Things he heard around the league talking to people. What Sexton has done has made Hardy change his mind and props to him for admitting this. He said it’s like calling your girlfriend’s ex to get the scoop on how she is as a partner and that he shouldn’t do that.

As far as your original proposal, I think a team would have to be extremely desperate for me to consider it. That is a pretty desperate proposal you outlined. They do owe their 2025 1st to the Knicks but it’s top-13 protected so technically the language on it could be if it’s in the top-13 it conveys to the Jazz and if not it conveys to the Knicks, etc. I think that pick is pretty much guaranteed to be in the top-10 next year and probably even worse like top-6 or so.
I don't think they can, because if it falls in 1-13 they suddenly owe their '26 pick to Knicks, which they then can't trade. The only picks they can trade are '29 and '30, and they can't trade both. They can of course add swaps, but that's not the same value.

I don't think they can, because if it falls in 1-13 they suddenly owe their '26 pick to Knicks, which they then can't trade. The only picks they can trade are '29 and '30, and they can't trade both. They can of course add swaps, but that's not the same value.
I think you’re right but I think it’s just purely a hypothetical at the moment to gauge what it would take to get him.

Yes. This is the infection theorem of wanting to trade guys when their value's low and then watching their value rise and, in turn, not being willing to sell. This isn't a slight to Sexton.
The pistons can’t trade two unprotected picks. They owe a pick that likely falls out of the protections in 2026 maybe. So earliest is 2028.

But yes this rule is undefeated. We had folks saying Collins couldn’t be moved for Ben Simmons a few games ago and now he’s had a few games and people don’t want to offload him for expiring money.

Jordan Clarkson also got this rule 3-4 weeks ago and people would have loved to be off his money.

I wouldn’t sell high on Sexton as I don’t think anyone would go high enough. Both JCs however have to still be considered…

The pistons can’t trade two unprotected picks. They owe a pick that likely falls out of the protections in 2026 maybe. So earliest is 2028.

But yes this rule is undefeated. We had folks saying Collins couldn’t be moved for Ben Simmons a few games ago and now he’s had a few games and people don’t want to offload him for expiring money.

Jordan Clarkson also got this rule 3-4 weeks ago and people would have loved to be off his money.

I wouldn’t sell high on Sexton as I don’t think anyone would go high enough. Both JCs however have to still be considered…
What's high enough tho? Doesn't have to be realistic or possible.

Do you say yes?

Listening to the Mismatch today though KOC seems to be more on the side that the Jazz are keeping Sexton.

Still saying he thinks the Jazz look for deals on Clarkson.

2 unprotected picks from a team like Detroit or Charlotte or Washington would obviously be a trade you make for Collin. Those teams can't, won't offer it so I'm not going to discuss hypotheticals with Collin instead of just celebrating how insane this run is.

The real discussion point is how much of this is real and lasting? I think a lot of it is. I've seen real defensive improvement and his drives are so much more under control. His shot is so confident and he's a more willing passer. His percentages in the paint likely tail off... he's not Shaq lol. I still see him as very good there though and he's learned the drive and pivot until you can power through or find an open guy. Dunn and JC are both good at this. I've seen enough over a long enough period to think this is going to be a habit and not a flash in the pan.

If he is an efficient 20/5 guy who is not the worst defender on the floor at all times... well add that to Lauri and Walker and you are on to something. Still need Key, Taylor, to develop and still need to add someone on Lauri's level or Collin's new level... but there is enough upside with that team to forego the 2025 tank job I think we needed. Its still long odds to find another star in the draft and that team may top out lower than we want... but there is enough there to push forward thinking something could "pop".