What's new

Dame Time

I’m against trading for Dame. I think it’s fool’s gold. Our team isn’t ready yet. We’re too young and don’t have solid defense pieces. We would give valuable assets and good players away, and after 3 years with Dame (who turns 33 this month with his numbers bound to decline, increased risk of injuries, his huge contract a burden) come out empty-handed and those assets and players gone. Ainge hasn’t made a mistake yet. Hope he can keep it that way.

Why do people want Maxey and not Herro?

For the record I want neither.
Maxey is better, younger, and has developed and thrived in an environment that is not ripe for that kind of thing. Herro is solid but how will he be outside of Heat culture? I think Maxey can also be more of a point guard than Herro can.

That was Windy doing a bit very clearly mocking the narrative that Morey is selling. I think he might be closer to the Mitchell/Garland than those others guys. He's very efficient and had to survive as a third banana. I think he'd be worth a couple firsts from us and I wouldn't be shocked if he blew up in a different situation. No one thinks he's untouchable... its dumb posturing. If he wasn't available they would extend him (even though this cute narrative they have about having two max spots open).

It's definitely not this simple, but if you look at what Maxey produced compared to what Sexton produced....it's really not that different...at least from a very surface level view. I wouldn't disagree with you if you said he's the best of the Poole/Herro/Simons tier....but the idea that he's significantly better and closer to Mitchell/Garland is crazy to me.

I would do the Dame deal. It his personality and putting the team ahead and wanting the team to be good. He would be okay with trades and team building that Ainge and Zanek will be still doing. Are we going to get that I a another star? Maybe not.

Dame is still at the top of his game, and likely has at least 2-3 more years at this level. Look at the contracts just given out… he is worth that money.

The Jazz with Dame are contenders next season. If not him, you have to either hope a rookie hits it big or another disgruntled super star becomes available.

You go for it.
I’m not necessarily on the “Dame or bust” train, but I do find it funny people are downplaying just how good Dame still is and will be for the next 3-4 seasons or flat out spreading misinformation just because they don’t want the Jazz to make the trade.

If Dame’s contract is too rich for your blood, or you don’t want Utah spending the assets it will take to get him, I get it, but don’t come in here with some weak-*** “He’s injury prone” take. Dame was in the league for 8 seasons before he appeared in less than at least 72 games in a season. He did have the major abdominal injury a couple years back, but over the last few seasons, a lot of the games Dame has missed while dinged up have been an agreed upon strategy between the team and player in an attempt to tank while still having him on the roster in hopes that they’d get lucky in the lottery- especially this past season.

Dame is still a legit superstar. One of the best pure scorers/shooters in the game. He can go and get you 55 when you need him too and he’s averaged nearly 8 assists the last 4 seasons. He’s a great teammate, great person, and a dominant basketball player. If Will Hardy can get a team on the threshold of the play-in with the likes of THT, you’re kidding yourself if you don’t think Hardy couldn’t take a team built around Dame/Lauri/Collins/Kessler deep into the playoffs.

Again, I’m not necessarily advocating for the trade without knowing exactly what the cost would be, but if Dame did end up landing in Utah, this team would be ready to go right now.

It's definitely not this simple, but if you look at what Maxey produced compared to what Sexton produced....it's really not that different...at least from a very surface level view. I wouldn't disagree with you if you said he's the best of the Poole/Herro/Simons tier....but the idea that he's significantly better and closer to Mitchell/Garland is crazy to me.
I mean sure but Sexton is a couple years older (in a key time when a couple years could make a huge difference) and Maxey did it over a bigger sample this year... on a team trying to win a title. His role is also very much an afterthought in Philly last year. So in two years we can see if the Sexton Maxey is still a good comparison, but Maxey's numbers as a starter were pretty phenomenal... and he was on a very good team. Its not like Embiid is Jokic where he sets everyone up or even Rudy where he sets devastating screens... he attracts attention but for a guard that wants to get to the rim having a guy hang in the mid post isn't super helpful. I would not put him in the group Garland or Donovan but he's a strong worker and I think he has another jump or two in his development.

With Maxey vs. Poole and Herro there is also a very good argument that the locker room presence is another huge separator. Not that Poole and Herro are huge problems... if you have followed Tyrese at all you know he is a very strong presence there... the stuff matters. He'd fit in perfectly with our group.

Also worth noting that Morey is at least posturing how untouchable Maxey is while Riley immediately tossed Herro to the lions.

Says something.

Maxey a three level scorer... he's absolute lightening. Put him with Hardy in Utah and watch him blow up.

If we did acquire him we'd have some roster maneuvering to do. I just think he's one of a few guys I could see blowing up and the hindsight people thinking it was obvious and they saw it the whole time.

With Maxey vs. Poole and Herro there is also a very good argument that the locker room presence is another huge separator. Not that Poole and Herro are huge problems... if you have followed Tyrese at all you know he is a very strong presence there... the stuff matters. He'd fit in perfectly with our group.

If Maxey is all of this, why the Hell wouldn't Portland just take him instead of allowing the Jazz to skim the best asset off of the top? I have never understood these type of trade proposals. . .

If Maxey is all of this, why the Hell wouldn't Portland just take him instead of allowing the Jazz to skim the best asset off of the top? I have never understood these type of trade proposals. . .
Because they have Scoot, Simons, and Sharpe at the 1 and 2 and would likely prefer picks at this stage of their rebuild.

Simons and Maxey are fairly comparable. I think Maxey is a better bet imo since Ant is a looter in a riot (a little) and Maxey did it on a very good team. You could make the case for either guy having a little glow up.

Brooklyn… they have three Phoenix firsts in 25/27/29 plus a 2027 Philadelphia 1st top-8 protected, plus a 2029 Dallas 1st.

Their 2025/2027 own firsts can be swapped by Houston. They own their 2028/2029/2030 firsts as well as a 2028 Phoenix pick swap.

They have a lot of ammo for sure.

Not sure if the Nets have any interest in Dame, there has been a lot of smoke about them getting involved as a third team and taking Herro.

It makes me chuckle that Dame wanting to be traded to Miami is the lead talking point with the national media and fans. I’m old enough to remember when Donovan Mitchell privately asked to be traded and wanted to land in New York.

And I think what made that 2004 Piston team so good is they had the most top 50 players on their roster that year
They were very good if you look at their roster
What made them good was they could all shoot and defend at a high level and had a generational defensive talent in the middle

I’m against trading for Dame. I think it’s fool’s gold. Our team isn’t ready yet. We’re too young and don’t have solid defense pieces. We would give valuable assets and good players away, and after 3 years with Dame (who turns 33 this month with his numbers bound to decline, increased risk of injuries, his huge contract a burden) come out empty-handed and those assets and players gone. Ainge hasn’t made a mistake yet. Hope he can keep it that way.
This 1000 times

All I know is that next year would be a lot more fun with Dame than without Dame. I think if we want him, we can definitely get him. I trust the front office to make the decision, but privately, I'd rather have my cupcake now than, possibly, in 2029.

All I know is that next year would be a lot more fun with Dame than without Dame. I think if we want him, we can definitely get him. I trust the front office to make the decision, but privately, I'd rather have my cupcake now than, possibly, in 2029.

The Jazz havent had someone as good as Lillard since Malone. He'd be the 2nd most talented Jazz player ever.