What's new

David Locke

Et tu Brute

This guy grates..

He gets cut when anyone challenges him over the player development at the Jazz. He literally spits venom. Based on his last podcast he obviously thinks Dante's minutes are going to be limited come mid season, refuses to acknowledge that Burks is a basketball player and thinks the sun shines out of DM's butt based on summer league. He can not be trusted to fairly evaluate coach Q (or surprise surprise - the FO).

Tremendous work ethic and so much of his stuff adds value - but his overt 'hate' and biases are BS and unprofessional.

Burks sucks dude. Get over it.

Maybe... But injuries and all that jazz eh.

But I get really confused by the different hats Locke wears.

Are his personal views suppose to be the FO's way of communicating with fans? Why does he get so defensive?

Btw, I'd much prefer to see some Burks, DM, Exum up-tempo action than the 41-41 nothing season that is about to transpire.

Locke is the entire reason I understand how the modern game is played, from analytics to qualitatively understanding the pick and roll. I also enjoy is explanations of the salary cap. I agree with you, though, that he has a hard time giving criticism to Jazz management and operations. One thing you have to keep in mind is he isn't an independent reporter. He is paid by and works for the Jazz.

I enjoy listening to Locke's podcasts; but you have to be aware of one thing -

Locke walks a fine line between stat geek and company shill. Quite often those two things don't go hand and hand. You have to know when he's being one or the other.

Based on his last podcast he obviously thinks Dante's minutes are going to be limited come mid season, refuses to acknowledge that Burks is a basketball player and thinks the sun shines out of DM's butt based on summer league.

Yes Locke cremes on himself over DM when it can easily be said that Exum played more dominant.Remember Dante is only 15 months older than DM and has 2 full seasons of NBA playing time already.Locke disregards this.
Burks isn't a bad player and never was ,he was a injured player and they do get healthy and back to where they were.Locke has him at the end of the bench wondering if he can adapt to the Jazz system. Hell the Jazz might be opening up their system to accommodate Rubio's push the ball upcourt style of play.So Jazz snail pace might not even be the style they play this year.
Smallball play would fit Exum and Burks play better than Snyders slow down pace that favored Diaw ,JJ and Hayward and Mack.

Locke's takes are better than most. He does sell the company line. That's part of who he is. You can tell he's really passionate about the team though.

I think it was inappropriate to talk about Hood's agent like he did in his last podcast, or to suggest that Hood should sign for $50M... Considering Ingles just signed for $52M.

He's one of the hardest working dudes covering any NBA team. There are things about him that bug me, but at least he genuinely cares.

Yes Locke cremes on himself over DM when it can easily be said that Exum played more dominant.Remember Dante is only 15 months older than DM and has 2 full seasons of NBA playing time already.Locke disregards this.
Burks isn't a bad player and never was ,he was a injured player and they do get healthy and back to where they were.Locke has him at the end of the bench wondering if he can adapt to the Jazz system. Hell the Jazz might be opening up their system to accommodate Rubio's push the ball upcourt style of play.So Jazz snail pace might not even be the style they play this year.
Smallball play would fit Exum and Burks play better than Snyders slow down pace that favored Diaw ,JJ and Hayward and Mack.

I to would like to see the Jazz push the tempo. Look for the easy basket if not there then pull up and go into their switching game

ks play better than Snyders slow down pace that favored Diaw ,JJ and Hayward and Mack.
I to would like to see the Jazz push the tempo. Look for the easy basket if not there then pull up and go into their switching game

Loved the defense last year ,but it was a run back (never mind offensive rebounds)and set up the defense and funnel the opposing players towards Gobert.
With Rubio's quick active hands ,the complete health of Exum,the drafting of a ballhawk like Mitchell,the return of health to Burks ,the defensive wizardry of Ingles ,I want to see a extremely aggressive defense ,ballhawking all over the court knowing Gobert and Favors and Udoh await behind them .The Jazz need to attack offenses with their defense in the same way smallball lineups would attack them offensively.I think the Jazz would be the surprise team of the early season.

Burks is a bad player and always has been.

Locke's takes are better than most. He does sell the company line. That's part of who he is. You can tell he's really passionate about the team though.

I think it was inappropriate to talk about Hood's agent like he did in his last podcast, or to suggest that Hood should sign for $50M... Considering Ingles just signed for $52M.

I could argue that Ingles was quite a bit better than Hood last season.

Burks is a bad player and always has been.
I disagree about that. Burks was allowed to be "Houdini" because Corbin was an awful coach who had absolutely no idea how to run plays...unless they were ones leftover from Sloan. When Quin came in, Alec worked on his 3PT shooting. He was >40% before his injury. His % around the rim suffered because he was playing with a wounded shoulder, just as Favs played on one leg.

Is Burks a great defender? No. Neither is Hood. But if healthy, I think we'll see a decent rotational player. Jazz definitely have a logjam, though. And, IMO, a lot of good, but not great wings. I could see Jazz putting anyone except Mitchell on the trading block in order to upgrade at the 2/3.

I could argue that Ingles was quite a bit better than Hood last season.

If you consider age, talent level and market value, Hood should get a richer deal than Joe. Hood is in a different class from Ingles in terms of offensive ability. Even last year, Hood averaged 13 ppg and Ingles in his best year averaged 7 ppg. Scoring still matters.

If you consider age, talent level and market value, Hood should get a richer deal than Joe. Hood is in a different class from Ingles in terms of offensive ability. Even last year, Hood averaged 13 ppg and Ingles in his best year averaged 7 ppg. Scoring still matters.

Agree. Ingles was an overpay to keep Hayward. Bartlestein had Lindsey by the short hairs and he played the Jazz perfectly.
An extension essentially puts most of the risk on the team. There's a chance Hood never shoots >40% on his 3's and just can't step up as one of the Jazz' top options. If that happens, a deal will hamstring Utah. That;s why I'm in favor of Utah waiting. If Hood explodes, fine...Utah can still match. And they'd be matching for a great starter. If he doesn't, he only counts $7M as a cap hold. You negotiate with him to be a backup and can clear cap space to find a starter.

Agree. Ingles was an overpay to keep Hayward. Bartlestein had Lindsey by the short hairs and he played the Jazz perfectly.
An extension essentially puts most of the risk on the team. There's a chance Hood never shoots >40% on his 3's and just can't step up as one of the Jazz' top options. If that happens, a deal will hamstring Utah. That;s why I'm in favor of Utah waiting. If Hood explodes, fine...Utah can still match. And they'd be matching for a great starter. If he doesn't, he only counts $7M as a cap hold. You negotiate with him to be a backup and can clear cap space to find a starter.

A deal at $15M won't hamstring the Jazz unless Hood is perpetually injured. He has trade value at that price point. Shooting 37% from 3-pt with the range he's shown is fine. Any playoff team could pick him up and play him in a JR Smith role, at a minimum, and his ball handling in the pick-and-roll is a plus.