What's new

David Locke

Is company shill David Locke's enthusiasm for the jazz tied to his paycheck or to being a Jazz fan? He sang a different tune when he worked for Portland. Kind of disingenuous that his role of cheerleader is a paid position.

Is company shill David Locke's enthusiasm for the jazz tied to his paycheck or to being a Jazz fan? He sang a different tune when he worked for Portland. Kind of disingenuous that his role of cheerleader is a paid position.

Seattle?

I just find it a joke that he is super professional 95% of the time but he wants the world to know Mack had to play over Dante last year and won't hear any view outside of that. I HATE the travesty of this argument as it is based on a LIE. MACK SUCKED MORE THAN DANTE... (ok I'm lying now - they were a statistical tie according to RPM - but what a short sited joke to not play the guy with more upside and a future at the franchise).

He seems incapable of seeing Dante as anything more than an athletic bust. He is pushing for DM to be the back up pg (maybe he has got the word from Quin?) His response to a couple of FB live questions was near on disgraceful!

AND - Burks has lost near on two years cause of injury!!! Why is everyone so super revisionist with him. He was worth a hefty contract a couple of years back.

He is also now pretending that the FO didn't give up on Lyles LMFAO...

Last edited:
If you consider age, talent level and market value, Hood should get a richer deal than Joe. Hood is in a different class from Ingles in terms of offensive ability. Even last year, Hood averaged 13 ppg and Ingles in his best year averaged 7 ppg. Scoring still matters.

Surprised about this comment. Hood lacks playmaking, chucks, not as versatile a defender and is not very efficient (at rim or beyond the arc). But he does have some significant upside..... including a potentially gun mid range game.

Last edited:
I just find it a joke that he is super professional 95% of the time but he wants the world to know Mack had to play over Dante last year and won't hear any view outside of that. I HATE the travesty of this argument as it is based on a LIE. MACK SUCKED MORE THAN DANTE... (ok I'm lying now - they were a statistical tie according to RPM - but what a short sited joke to not play the guy with more upside and a future at the franchise).

He seems incapable of seeing Dante as anything more than an athletic bust. He is pushing for DM to be the back up pg (maybe he has got the word from Quin?) His response to a couple of FB live questions was near on disgraceful!

AND - Burks has lost near on two years cause of injury!!! Why is everyone so super revisionist with him. He was worth a hefty contract a couple of years back.

His podcasts post all star break were quite complimentary of Dante. **** the off season sucks, can't wait for the basketball to start again.

So that was your question on his podcast? He couldn't figure out who you were talking about and said so. And he was right if you meant Exum. Exum coming off the ACL was not good enough to be playing. He was pretty bad for much of last year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think Jazz fans are lucky to have Locke. He provides some insight and analysis that we didn't have before and that many teams still don't have. He has always been a little full of himself (most successful people are), but it seems to have gotten worse over the last few years.

What most bothers me about him is how in one podcast he preaches against group think, and then in the next he says if anyone disagrees with his way (often the front office's way) of thinking then it is "asinine" or short sighted or unfair. I think it would be a richer program if he allowed regular fans that disagree with him a voice (not media members with their own agenda or biases).

How long have you been on planet earth?

At least the Jazz leave you free to make your own assumptions and conclusions.

How long have you been on planet earth?

What does the poster's age have to do with anything?

Jazz Fusion was making a valid point (being paid by Jazz calls into question Locke's independence). What was your point? How was it supported?

What does the poster's age have to do with anything?

Jazz Fusion was making a valid point (being paid by Jazz calls into question Locke's independence). What was your point? How was it supported?

My point is that what he says is nothing groundbreaking unless you are an incredibly naive individual with no idea how businesses work.

If he trashes the Jazz organization too much he'll get canned. Just like any teams commentator or smth.

Not to mention his post is very demeaning to Mr. Locke and cheerleading.

I have lived in 6 NBA cities and been exposed to the radio and color commentators in each of those cities. I also travel a lot for work and watch and listen to local commentators. In my book Locke is not only above average he is very good at what he does. Works very hard and provides insights from his analytics that few others do. With regard to his homerism, he is far far less that way than most I have listened to. He doesn't trash the Jazz but he is very comfortable questioning things they do. So I don't think he is a homer or a sell out at all. Not the greatest play by play guy but I like him for what I learn from his research and analytics. Compared to others, I have never understood why folks like to trash him.

I have lived in 6 NBA cities and been exposed to the radio and color commentators in each of those cities. I also travel a lot for work and watch and listen to local commentators. In my book Locke is not only above average he is very good at what he does. Works very hard and provides insights from his analytics that few others do. With regard to his homerism, he is far far less that way than most I have listened to. He doesn't trash the Jazz but he is very comfortable questioning things they do. So I don't think he is a homer or a sell out at all. Not the greatest play by play guy but I like him for what I learn from his research and analytics. Compared to others, I have never understood why folks like to trash him.

I pretty much agree.

Furthermore, it's not as if he's only being a homer to appease the man, but it's in his best interest for himself to keep and gain as many Jazz fans as possible - to enhance his own relevance and job security. Turning people away from the Jazz is turning people away from his work and reducing his viewership/ratings.

So w/e, call him a company shill, but he's a part of the company, so until he's no longer a part of it he will perform his job as it is supposed to be done. I don't think anyone here is delusional enough to think that he is wholly objective on matters - then again, no one is.

Agree overall. We are lucky to have a local guy that puts out so much free content. If you know what to ignore/take with a grain of salt from him, he's excellent part of the Jazz media presence. In addition to being paid by the team, something else that people underestimate is that he's developing relationships with those players. It's so easy for us to go out and be like "this player is a scrub, this draft pick is a total bust, that coach screwed up and cost us games, that executive should go", it's not easy when you are embedded in the team and have to interact with those people every day.

I do apologize. You're right, I haven't been here very long, just passing through. I haven't been here long enough to develop an alt identity. I haven't been here long enough to appreciate the subtle business nuances of paying someone to give you affection and affirmation. Please just chalk this up to a lack of talking points during this dead space between summer league and preseason.

I think Jazz fans are lucky to have Locke. He provides some insight and analysis that we didn't have before and that many teams still don't have. He has always been a little full of himself (most successful people are), but it seems to have gotten worse over the last few years.

What most bothers me about him is how in one podcast he preaches against group think, and then in the next he says if anyone disagrees with his way (often the front office's way) of thinking then it is "asinine" or short sighted or unfair. I think it would be a richer program if he allowed regular fans that disagree with him a voice (not media members with their own agenda or biases).

He's been condescending to fans for a couple years now. For instance last show answered someone...."Brandon, you're usually pretty good with questions.....I have no idea what your talking about."
So clearly he should have just passed on this question why waste the air time?

Besides this he can't finish a sentence without 3 "uhhhs". He loses his train of thought constantly and will digress into something else, getting back to his original point 2 minutes later. Just annoying to listen to.

I do apologize. You're right, I haven't been here very long, just passing through. I haven't been here long enough to develop an alt identity. I haven't been here long enough to appreciate the subtle business nuances of paying someone to give you affection and affirmation. Please just chalk this up to a lack of talking points during this dead space between summer league and preseason.

You're forgiven. Keep trying, you'll get there eventually.