What's new

Game Thread Dec 10, 2022 07:00PM MT: Jazz at Nuggets

Added to Calendar: 12-10-22

Apparently Hardy barely even talks to Dok. Honestly if it weren't for his guaranteed salary I doubt he would even be on the team this season.
Hardy's system relies on having ballhandlers/shooters at every position which might be a reason that Kessler's minutes are limited sometimes.
Then it's time to waive him. Go sign Orlando Robinson a 7 foot player with the Heat GLeague team with a bit of a three point shot. Last night he had 29 points 21 boards in a GLeague game.

I liked quite a lot of what I saw from Bolmaro this game. He's some ways away from being able to finish in the NBA, but he appears to run the game well, and he defends well. NAW also had a lot of good perimeter D, while Malik, KO (and I'm sure others) had a bunch of real head-scratchers.

I rarely saw him play before last night. I didnt watch him prior to the jazz so dont know if he got lots of opportunities then but since he has been with the jazz he hasnt played much.
He played in 15 games for the jazz prior to this year. Averaged under 10 minutes per game. Probably all garbage time minutes.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Last season before the Jazz traded for him, I watched him play a lot with the Pelicans. He averaged 27 minutes a game and even started some games, and he was honestly one of the most inefficient offensive players in the entire league. He wasn't great on defense either.

Last edited:
Last season before the Jazz traded for him, I watched him play a lot with the Pelicans. He averaged 27 minutes a game and even started some games, and he was honestly one of the most inefficient offensive players in the entire league. He wasn't great on defense either.
I have a friend who's a Pelicans fan, and he used to call NAW the league's most frustrating player. Could show any kinds of promise, then be horrible for games.

Before everyone goes gooleyeyes over our pine riders remember the game against Toronto where Hughes, Paschal, Forrest and Butler filled out the stat sheet in a competitive game. Those guys are out of the league now.

I have a friend who's a Pelicans fan, and he used to call NAW the league's most frustrating player. Could show any kinds of promise, then be horrible for games.
NAW is the worst kind of "shooting guard". The kind that can't shoot.

I wont be fooled by occasional games where he makes a few shots. The guy has a sub .500 career TS%.

That's terrible.

NAW is the worst kind of "shooting guard". The kind that can't shoot.

I wont be fooled by occasional games where he makes a few shots. The guy has a sub .500 career TS%.

That's terrible.

From all accounts NAW has been working extremely hard to improve, and it looks like it's finally coming together. Part of his struggles in the past is shot selection and he's made a lot of progress with his decision making. This isn't just one game but like 4 or 5 in a row now.

It might all be just fools gold. He might not be able to keep it up. I'm not expecting much, but for now I'm fairly encouraged.

Especially last night. Short handed playing against a huge ************* and KO and Vando in foul trouble and Walker playing well. I just cant understand how Hardy doesnt see what most of us see.

Maybe the sloan comment was comparing their rigidity or something. Though i dont see hardy as being very rigid with most players. Just Kessler.

I don’t think that Hardy is rigid at all, he’s very even handed in my book. Concerning Kessler, his tutelage and handling is a big reason why this non-lottery rookie is playing with so much confidence and composure right now. The reaction is kinda funny to me as a lot of this pro Kessler fervor is coming from guys that projected his ceiling in the Brad Miller, Jacob Poeltl category and described him as unathletic mere weeks ago in the Kessler ceiling thread. I’m glad that folks are starting to recognize his talents and vast potential now at any rate.

I’m not convinced that riding Kessler through the final quarter would have been a difference maker for us. I’m not convinced that his conditioning is good enough yet for one thing. He did have his breakout game though along with NAW and THT as I predicted they would and KO and Vando were in foul trouble, so I can certainly see a valid argument there for his closing this one particular game.

Part of what makes our team so tough is the divergent style of center play between KO and WK. WK among 2 pt fg % leaders and KO among 3 pt fg % leaders. Truthfully, I’d like to see more minutes with both on the floor together. That KO feed to Kessler for the backhanded flush was damn sweet!

Its crazy that Hardy still wont use Kessler more. He has been very good for so many ganes now. Our defense is ridiculously bad. We were playing freaking jokic who is a giant. We were short handed. Vando and KO were in foul trouble. Kessler had another really good night: 4-6 for 10 points, 8 rebounds, 3 blocks, only 2 fouls and highest plus/minus on the team. Looking at all that data i would think kessler probably played a season high in minutes. Maybe 35 or something.
Only gets 22 minutes.

It's tank mode now.

This might be a good thing. There might be some desperate teams out there and we might be able to unload some vets for a king's ransom. Then we play the youngsters.

Apparently Hardy barely even talks to Dok. Honestly if it weren't for his guaranteed salary I doubt he would even be on the team this season.
Hardy's system relies on having ballhandlers/shooters at every position which might be a reason that even Kessler's minutes are limited sometimes.

I'm fairly certain that had we known what we had in Kessler, we probably would have kept Johnson instead of Doke.

I'm fairly certain that had we known what we had in Kessler, we probably would have kept Johnson instead of Doke.
Nope.

The Jazz didnt pick up Dok's option. They just didnt want Johnson. They dont want Dok either, but they picked him up for big man depth and the fact that his contract is better for salary matching.

I don’t think that Hardy is rigid at all, he’s very even handed in my book. Concerning Kessler, his tutelage and handling is a big reason why this non-lottery rookie is playing with so much confidence and composure right now. The reaction is kinda funny to me as a lot of this pro Kessler fervor is coming from guys that projected his ceiling in the Brad Miller, Jacob Poeltl category and described him as unathletic mere weeks ago in the Kessler ceiling thread. I’m glad that folks are starting to recognize his talents and vast potential now at any rate.

I’m not convinced that riding Kessler through the final quarter would have been a difference maker for us. I’m not convinced that his conditioning is good enough yet for one thing. He did have his breakout game though along with NAW and THT as I predicted they would and KO and Vando were in foul trouble, so I can certainly see a valid argument there for his closing this one particular game.

Part of what makes our team so tough is the divergent style of center play between KO and WK. WK among 2 pt fg % leaders and KO among 3 pt fg % leaders. Truthfully, I’d like to see more minutes with both on the floor together. That KO feed to Kessler for the backhanded flush was damn sweet!

You must remember that even when i was knocking his athleticism i was advocating for him to play more minutes and talking about how awesome he has been for us.

Its a travesty that in a game when we are short handed and playing against a huge center and KO and vando are in foul trouble and kessler is playing great and the team was playing great while he was in (highest plus/minus on the team) that he only gets 22 minutes. Very bad decision by hardy if we were trying to win that game.

You must remember that even when i was knocking his athleticism i was advocating for him to play more minutes and talking about how awesome he has been for us.

Its a travesty that in a game when we are short handed and playing against a huge center and KO and vando are in foul trouble and kessler is playing great and the team was playing great while he was in (highest plus/minus on the team) that he only gets 22 minutes. Very bad decision by hardy if we were trying to win that game.

You make a valid assertion. I can’t get inside Hardy’s head to see what his reasoning was but I’m certain that they were also valid. All indications for me are that he is definitely doing what he does to attain the best chance of success as he sees it though.

You make a valid assertion. I can’t get inside Hardy’s head to see what his reasoning was but I’m certain that they were also valid. All indications for me are that he is definitely doing what he does to attain the best chance of success as he sees it though.

Ya i dont think he was trying to lose. I think he is just harder on kessler than pretty much anyone else on the team. I think that kessler has played good enough for long enough that he should get rewarded. Especially last night. (Due to the game situations i brought up)
I think hardy not playing him more last night was a bad coaching decision but i dont think it was intentionally bad.