What's new

Game Thread Dec 20, 2023 05:00PM MT: Jazz at Cavaliers

Added to Calendar: 12-20-23

What severe misdeed did Tay Henny commit to get Hardy's ire? It seems like his length might have helped on Merrill. Och was awful tonight.

Our team is one of the worst ball handling teams in the NBA. Pretty sure I've made this observation on here before.
And one of the worst in decision-making as well. Tonight’s game was winnable, but we started to overdribble in the 4th quarter with no ball movement. It showed the main weakness of our team and what type of guards we have. Their decision-making went out the window when we were behind and our guards tried to catch up by forcing iso plays.

Another rough outing for Kessler. He looks like a completely different player this year. Also, very disappointing to see Hendricks glued to the bench. What's the point of playing Collins and Olynyk ahead of him if we're going to lose anyway?

If someone needs to be called out its Kessler, Ochai and Dunn. Inconsistency is one thing but I dont really know what those three contributed this game, as it sure wasnt scoring, rebounding or defense. Its amazing how 3 guys who combined to be 75% from the field also combined to score just 21 points in 60 combined minutes. I also swear to god Sexton did not pass the ball to anyone but Walker all night. His vision was so glued to the rim that it sort of makes sense that he didnt see anyone except the guy who was there.

I say the biggest reason we lost this was losing the offensive rebound battle 6 to 14. Shouldnt happen when they were without Mobley and Allen got just 8 total boards.... but it did. I mean the one thing we have done well this year was the thing that failed us. They beat us in 2nd chance points 23 to 9 which is more than the difference in the scoreboard, when we should have beaten them on that stat quite clearly.

Refs also sucked and they were super weird about completely ignoring moving screens and calling fouls on players going around them. Did it to both teams though. I swear Tristan Thompson didnt set his feet for even a second on few of his screens but our guards got the foul calls trying to go around those.

I'm as checked out as I have ever been.
When I look at the box scores this season I'm actually glad I didn't watch.
If Ainge, JZ, and Ryan Smith don't make changes by the deadline this will be the first time I've been able to rely on "highlights" for an entire season.

Cavs shot incredible. Some of that is defense but most of it was just really hot shooting. Lauri had a cold 4th but at least we got him the ball I'm okay losing when our star player has a rare cold game but gets his shots. I like how the team is playing now. Things are improving.

Every other night some dude has a career and/or record-breaking night. Absolutely no chance anything can be done about it. Solid effort, yeah. Or maybe it might a lazy, disinterested effort on defense from pretty much everyone - and it's only December still.

Just amazing to allow a wide-open 3 from a made basket @ 3 seconds left.

Why am I catching strays when the guy I cap for was our best player tonight?
I will do my best to apologize by recognizing that you may have been on to something with Kessler before anyone else really was.

I'm starting to see it though. The finesse game you have mentioned, but I have also noticed that if he doesnt get the angles and timing right on his contests and rebounds, he isnt getting them. He doesnt body up even stationary guys but sort of floats around them and anticipates the shots, which makes him extremely vulnerable to pump fakes. He should just play closer and stand tall between the guy and the basket instead of always trying to block with that much air between him and the shooter. He also loses way too many physical battles even when they are just about him holding on to the basketball (Cavs stole like 2-3 boards which looked like they were 100% Kessler's).

I dont know if he is just overly concerned about fouling or if he is soft.... The goofy nice guy routine paired with the finesse game kinda worries me that he may have KATs mindset paired with Rudy's skillset.

I will do my best to apologize by recognizing that you may have been on to something with Kessler before anyone else really was.

I'm starting to see it though. The finesse game you have mentioned, but I have also noticed that if he doesnt get the angles and timing right on his contests and rebounds, he isnt getting them. He doesnt body up even stationary guys but sort of floats around them and anticipates the shots, which makes him extremely vulnerable to pump fakes. He should just play closer and stand tall between the guy and the basket instead of always trying to block with that much air between him and the shooter. He also loses way too many physical battles even when they are just about him holding on to the basketball (Cavs stole like 2-3 boards which looked like they were 100% Kessler's).

I dont know if he is just overly concerned about fouling or if he is soft.... The goofy nice guy routine paired with the finesse game kinda worries me that he may have KATs mindset paired with Rudy's skillset.
Hopefully it's just some nagging injury.

I don't think he has a KAT mindset. He just has no confidence in his ability to go through defenders. He's too aware of his limitations to a detrimental extent.