What's new

Deron Williams still loves Utah

I like Deron a lot and would love to see the fans get over what happened. That being said I am still on the side that Deron was in the wrong and let his immaturity and ego get in the way. If Deron would have stayed healthy people would still be comparing he and Chris Paul in terms of their hoops ability.
Sigh him as a backup to Rubio?

Sigh him as a backup to Rubio?
I truly don't know if Deron is interested in a return. If he did, I would enjoy that being it. I actually do think Deron could still be a decent backup point guard. He's 33, so there's not much time left for that return. By the same token, I think Deron is still a prickly guy. In this interview it even said he had to warm Deron up to the idea of talking the Jazz and basketball again. I'm not sure Derons persona would fit in well or that he's really someone you want back in the locker room. Maybe he'd be fine with it, but something tells me he is not into the commitment of practicing, etc. anymore and he would much rather just ride away into the sunset. We may lose Neto though....what could you sign Deron at? One thing Deron can do is control the floor and run an offense, which is really what is lacking when Rubio is off the floor at times. For sentimental reasons I love the idea, for realistic reasons I don't.

I truly don't know if Deron is interested in a return. If he did, I would enjoy that being it. I actually do think Deron could still be a decent backup point guard. He's 33, so there's not much time left for that return. By the same token, I think Deron is still a prickly guy. In this interview it even said he had to warm Deron up to the idea of talking the Jazz and basketball again. I'm not sure Derons persona would fit in well or that he's really someone you want back in the locker room. Maybe he'd be fine with it, but something tells me he is not into the commitment of practicing, etc. anymore and he would much rather just ride away into the sunset. We may lose Neto though....what could you sign Deron at? One thing Deron can do is control the floor and run an offense, which is really what is lacking when Rubio is off the floor at times. For sentimental reasons I love the idea, for realistic reasons I don't.

I think you are remembering the All-star DW, he is not the same player. I don't think basketball is his passion now. It may never been his passion in his prime either. His body broke down. He was horrible in Cleveland and has said on several occasions he doesn't miss basketball.

I think you are remembering the All-star DW, he is not the same player. I don't think basketball is his passion now. It may never been his passion in his prime either. His body broke down. He was horrible in Cleveland and has said on several occasions he doesn't miss basketball.
He definitely had a passion. Without question. Boozer, on the other hand. But, with Deron having 4 kids and now time to spend with them and financial security, there are other (more important) priorities. I have passion for a lot of things, but I just passed us a really good opportunity because I enjoy spending a day off with my family during the week, which isn’t close to the level of sacrifice he’d have to make.

Is Kanter forgiven?
Not going to lie.

I still love Kanter.

Good Turkish villains are hard to find.

Jazz probably shouldn’t have drafted him in the first place, and then probably should’ve traded him much sooner than they did. . . but. . . he did (indirectly) give us our Prettyboy Spaniard.

A guy who truly appreciates parts of our state, played for the Jazz, and really only had one rotten month during his career here. Deron needs to be at a Jazz game some time, to watch....for something. Jazz fans and Deron need a coming back together again....

PS this pic is beUTAHful

Where is that pic at?

Stepping into this thread was like walking into the Hostess Cupcake factory on Valentines day during the employees lunch break. Soft. Does anyone remember history?
I see a lot of people stating how well D-Will played for us, which is true. But are we forgetting that he played well under Coach Sloan's system. He complained about the system Sloan ran, eventually caused our legendary Coach to quit, we traded him to a new team and he never was the same. Because the system that he played under and complained about was the exact same system that made him successful.
I remember him giving up during the Western conference Semi-finals and not even showing up for the 4 games that we got swept by the Lakers. He shot 38% from the field and less than 30% from three. His overall playoff stats for the Jazz don't look bad, but if you watched these games you would remember the things that the stat sheet doesn't show. He made bad offensive decisions when the game was on the line in the post season, year after year. Passing when he should have shot and shooting when he should have passed. During crunch time, his defense was often non existent. He only exploited poor defense of bad players. He could never hold his own when facing even a mediocre defender.
Plus he burnt us as hard as any player has in Jazz history. He burnt us so bad that when he was traded to the Nets, their fans didn't even want or respect him. Why are we all of the sudden catching amnesia?

I have forgiven you Jazz fans for acting like Hayward was that great. I'm glad he is gone and Mitchell is the star I've always wanted since DWill left.

Dwill is the man, he just let it go to his head. We should all have him as one of the greats that played here.

Sent from my SM-N950U using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited:
I believe he told them he would not sign and that is why he was ultimately traded. Have to appreciate the heads up, especially given our recent experience.

This is an excellent point. Due to the heads up he provided, the Jazz ended up with 7 good - very good years from Favors and maybe more, 1 1/2 years from Devin Harris and 1 1/2 years for Marvin Williams, 3 years of Kanter whose trade led to Rubio coming our way and Georgi Dieng's rights which were traded for 1/2 of Trey Burke's lottery draft slot. That's just about as good as we could have hoped for in the trade.

I've always liked Deron, I think he was a lot better person than people would believe, he just happened to be involved with something that was very unfortunate. I think Raja Bell is partly to blame, that guy is bad news...Anyways I think it said a lot when Deron still held the Dodge Ball charity after everything happened, even though he new there would be some fan backlash. i got a chance to meet him there and he was really nice. we should look back on his career for the good things. he was a helluva player, arguably the best point guard in the league at one point.

Deron
Korver
AK
Boozer
Okur

A good team. Could have been better. Had Sloan really let Korver be Korver, had Boozer had a brain, and had AK had a heart.

Oh, and if we would have played our rim protector who liked to eat pancakes and smoke ciggies.

I've always liked Deron, I think he was a lot better person than people would believe, he just happened to be involved with something that was very unfortunate. I think Raja Bell is partly to blame, that guy is bad news...Anyways I think it said a lot when Deron still held the Dodge Ball charity after everything happened, even though he new there would be some fan backlash. i got a chance to meet him there and he was really nice. we should look back on his career for the good things. he was a helluva player, arguably the best point guard in the league at one point.
He mentioned on his podcast a few months ago he would like to do it again here in the future. I think he wonders how successful it would be seeing as he doesn’t have any other players to really bring along. I’d like to see him do it again, and I’m sure just him being there would make it a big success.

Deseret News story on him
https://www.deseretnews.com/article...ar-park-city-and-playing-tournament-golf.html

“Williams has acknowledged he’s been hurt by the boos he’s received in recent years on return visits to play at Vivint Arena although, in his last visit in 2017, he good-naturedly said the boos have finally receded a bit. But he still has fond memories of his time playing in Utah.“

“When asked about any regrets he might have over the way things ended seven years ago, Williams becomes reflective.

“That overshadows everything — it is what it is,” he says. “It’s something you can’t change.”

Williams hasn’t been back to Vivint Arena as a non-player, and he points out that it’s only been a year since he last played. However he follows the Jazz and is positive about their future.

Deron's prime >>> Hayward's prime

Deron's record here >>> Hayward's record here

Deron's development curve >>> Hayward's development curve

Deron's prickly realness >>> Hayward's milquetoast, gosh/golly/jeepers, snake-in-the-grass, fake-*** ********

and maybe Deron was onto something when he got mad at Hayward his rookie year.