What's new

(Deseret News) Utah Jazz might surprise and pick Butler star Gordon Hayward

I like Hayward. He's a gym rat, he's got baskeball IQ, he's scrappy, and he has a hot sister.

But not at #9.

Please don't tell me that the Jazz are thinking about drafting him unless they think about trading out of the 9th spot and picking up some other picks to also grab a big like Jerome Jordan or Solomon Alabi or Artsiom Parahouski.

Unless Hayward is the next Bird, he's the next Korver, and I'd rather have Korver at this moment in time. Would depend upon Korver's price, though.

I would love to move back to 15ish and grab him there. I loved watching him play and think he will be much better than Korver (and i love Korver). I say we give Minnesota our #9 and Okur for Al Jefferson and the 16th pick. We then steal Hayward at 16. I just don't think any of the options at 9 are that much better. Hayward is more of a sure thing IMO.

Our roster if this happened. (Around 61 Million) We could look to move AK and have better length to help w the Lakers.

DWill, Price
Matthews, Hayward
AK, Miles
Millsap, AK, Koufos
Al Jefferson, Fesenko

Actually, I would like the Jazz to re-sign Korver. His shooting ability is just too good to pass up. He also shouldn't command that big of a contract. I also think that C.J. is our small forward of the future and the present. He is becoming an above average scorer and he is improving/maturing as a defender. If you noticed, he began driving to the hoop instead of settling for outside shots during the second half of the season. He was actually one of the Jazz's better players in the playoffs. We wouldn't have beaten Denver without C.J. Gordon Hayward is almost a true small forward, not a shooting guard. He actually is a very good defender and rebounder. He is also more athletic than he looks. I would bring AK off the bench at PF to relieve Millsap. This would be my depth chart:

PG: Deron Williams, Ronnie Price
SG: Wesley Matthews, Kyle Korver
SF: C.J. Miles, Gordon Hayward
PF: Paul Millsap, Andrei Kirilenko, Kosta Koufos
C: Al Jefferson, Kyrylo Fesenko, Kosta Koufos

This team would be built for the present and the future. Deron Williams, who is currently 25 and turns 26 in June, would be the oldest Jazz starter. I would be very happy with the make up of our team. It would be a new era in Utah Jazz basketball that would coincide with our new logo, colors, court, and uniforms. We also would be a very athletic team that would play some excellent defense.

Last edited:
Agreed on all accounts. You just tell me where to sign. Season tix are on me. (or maybe a beer)

We do need a change and I think this helps a ton and keeps the $ down. Do it. Do it.

Jazz were one of the best offensive teams in the league, even when Memo was injured. Why would you trade him for someone who plays even less defense than Okur? Jefferson really doesn't make this team better. And then when Hayward is taken at pick 15, we're left with Ryan Humphrey or something.

Actually, I would like the Jazz to re-sign Korver. His shooting ability is just too good to pass up. He also shouldn't command that big of a contract. I also think that C.J. is our small forward of the future and the present. He is becoming an above average scorer and he is improving/maturing as a defender. If you noticed, he began driving to the hoop instead of settling for outside shots during the second half of the season. He was actually one of the Jazz's better players in the playoffs. We wouldn't have beaten Denver without C.J. Gordon Hayward is almost a true small forward, not a shooting guard. He actually is a very good defender and rebounder. He is also more athletic than he looks. I would bring AK off the bench at PF to relieve Millsap. This would be my depth chart:

PG: Deron Williams, Ronnie Price
SG: Wesley Matthews, Kyle Korver
SF: C.J. Miles, Gordon Hayward
PF: Paul Millsap, Andrei Kirilenko, Kosta Koufos
C: Al Jefferson, Kyrylo Fesenko, Kosta Koufos

This team would be built for the present and the future. Deron Williams, who is currently 25 and turns 26 in June, would be the oldest Jazz starter. I would be very happy with the make up of our team. It would be a new era in Utah Jazz basketball that would coincide with our new logo, colors, court, and uniforms. We also would be a very athletic team that would play some excellent defense.
I see a pretty weak 2 and 3 spot with that lineup actually.

If we get Jefferson for Okur and the 9th pick, Carlos Boozer is indeed a pedophile.
But i'll join the dream boat with you all. Pass me that kush!

If the Jazz don't draft a big with the #9, I don't care who it is, IF they don't... I'm opening a couple of veins in a warm bath tub.

In a trade down I'd consider it, but I think his outside shot precludes him from being a lotto selection.

We hyped up this NYK 1st & its going to net us Hayward (not a good outside shooter)!?! I too wouldn’t mind Hayward but only in the mid 1st (ie, our original pick sent to Minn). Hayward is destined to play in Indy, so why don’t we trade #9 & Koufos for #10 & Hibbert (or #9 & Memo for #10 & Dunleavy)? Of course, this depends how bad they want Hayward but I think this kid will help get their fan-base back.

If Korver wants over 5M, then I say no & think about giving Morrison look (2-3M). Reddick would be nicer than Korver but his play this year has put him in that 6M range.