What's new

(Deseret News) Utah Jazz might surprise and pick Butler star Gordon Hayward

here is the article in sporting news that says "Thorpe agrees with me, though, that Hayward is being generally undervalued. Thorpe calls Hayward a "likely" lottery pick and suggests the Utah Jazz, selecting ninth, might be the team smart enough to pick him".

https://www.sportingnews.com/nba/article/2010-05-25/hayward-undervalued-on-nba-mock-drafts.
Such a prediction is typical "This draftee is white, Utah is mostly white, and the Jazz have more white players than most NBA teams, so this draftee is a good match for the Jazz" thinking by the media. But it completely ignores the need for a legit player at the 4/5.

Last edited:
here is the article in sporting news that says "Thorpe agrees with me, though, that Hayward is being generally undervalued. Thorpe calls Hayward a "likely" lottery pick and suggests the Utah Jazz, selecting ninth, might be the team smart enough to pick him".

https://www.sportingnews.com/nba/article/2010-05-25/hayward-undervalued-on-nba-mock-drafts.

....well, if he's all that athletic and his basketball IQ is off the charts....he'll make it in the dumb down league known as the NBA! Whether he is the proper choice at #9 remains to be seen. I'd prefer the Jazz maybe trade the pick, get another serviceable player AND a later 1st round pick and then take Hayward! Kind of like the 2 for 1 with the clock at 35 seconds? Of course, I hate that concept, since what your actually saying is this: "Let's hurry up and force a bad shot, so that in the likelihood that we miss....we can get the ball back after our opponent scores on us....and force ANOTHER bad shot with even less time left!" Better to just work for a good high percentage shot to start out with, play defense after you score and not worry about this pathetic idea of "2 for 1"!

You can't miss on Hayward. You are getting a solid player for years to come. He won't be a superstar, but he will be the kind of player that everyone wants to have on their team.

Well, Hayward is the kind of kid I'd let my daughter date (if she were old enough).

And with a little makeup Hayward's sister is someone I'd put in my rotation.

Last edited:
I actually think that post is one of the more true Hayward posts of that era that I made. He has Wes Matthews athleticism (not that athletic, his dunks in traffic have everything to do with will) at 6' 8", and his arms are not longer than his height. My point is and remains that his body is not what's making him good, it's that he knows how to play basketball.

I actually think that post is one of the more true Hayward posts of that era that I made. He has Wes Matthews athleticism (not that athletic, his dunks in traffic have everything to do with will) at 6' 8", and his arms are not longer than his height. My point is and remains that his body is not what's making him good, it's that he knows how to play basketball.

Wow. Admit you're a moron and call it a day. Please.

All hail Honz!

This.

Forgive me. What I meant to say is that Gordon Hayward is a particularly physically gifted NBA player. Probably the most physically gifted player that is in the league. Probably even ever. Definitely. Clearly.

Forgive me. What I meant to say is that Gordon Hayward is a particularly physically gifted NBA player. Probably the most physically gifted player that is in the league. Probably even ever. Definitely. Clearly.
InfinityAnimation.png

Not gonna name names but man, by reading through this post, I just lost a lot of respect for the collective basketball IQ's of many of our fellow JazzFanz!

I must say it was an interesting read, looking back on things now. The knock on his shooting is still justified, though I think most of that is mental, but the knock on his athleticism is just absurd. He's a damn good athlete.