What's new

(Deseret News) Utah Jazz might surprise and pick Butler star Gordon Hayward

I don't think he would be a terrible pick in this draft. With that being said, I don't want him. But you can't deny this kid has heart, ability, and is a winner. He's a high school state champion (made the game winning shot) and took a hopeless Butler team all the way to the big one and barely lost. Yeah, he's not fast, but to say he's not athletic is a little harsh. He may not be able to jump high, but youtube him. How can you say that someone who isn't athletic can do what he can? I don't think you can.

The NBA is a collection of the best athletes on the entire planet. Rich Kidward can only get in on his skill because outside of his height, he has no physical attribute that is NBA caliber. And that's not hyperbole.

The NCAA is nowhere near the NBA.

The NBA is a collection of the best athletes on the entire planet. Rich Kidward can only get in on his skill because outside of his height, he has no physical attribute that is NBA caliber. And that's not hyperbole.

The NCAA is nowhere near the NBA.

So tell me why guys like Richard Hamilton, Steve Nash, John Stockton, Memo Okur, and Andre Miller have had success in the NBA?

Why not just buy a late 1st and draft Luke Babbitt? Better Body, better basketball skills, better athleticism...

So tell me why guys like Richard Hamilton, Steve Nash, John Stockton, Memo Okur, and Andre Miller have had success in the NBA?
Rip Hamilton, Steve Nash and John Stockton were (and/or are) all great athletes (although, not great leapers). Hayward is not in their class in athleticism, and especially not in basketball skill and IQ.

Last edited:
I sniped these athletic measurements from realgm-

Gordon Hayward
No Step Vert 30.5
Max Vert 34.5
Bench press (185 lbs) 10
Lane agility 11.73
3/4 court sprint 3.22

Those are good numbers for everything but the Lane Agility.

I sniped these athletic measurements from realgm-

Gordon Hayward
No Step Vert 30.5
Max Vert 34.5
Bench press (185 lbs) 10
Lane agility 11.73
3/4 court sprint 3.22

Those are good numbers for everything but the Lane Agility.
Those are average measurements for SF's according to DX.

In their database, the average measurements for SF's are:
No Step Vert: 29.7''
Max Vert: 34.5''
Bench Press: 10.8
Lane Agility: 11.38
3/4 court sprint: 3.26

You can't miss on Hayward. You are getting a solid player for years to come. He won't be a superstar, but he will be the kind of player that everyone wants to have on their team.

I'd rather have them darft Xavier Henry, but I do like Gordon. Just not at #9. Then again, I liked Adam Morrison, too.

I'd rather have them darft Xavier Henry, but I do like Gordon. Just not at #9. Then again, I liked Adam Morrison, too.

I'm glad that was brought up, because I'm trying to figure out why I shouldn't be comparing Gordon to Morrison and how their (IMO) similar games translate to the NBA. Someone help?

I'm glad that was brought up, because I'm trying to figure out why I shouldn't be comparing Gordon to Morrison and how their (IMO) similar games translate to the NBA. Someone help?

Maybe because Morrison had an alright rookie year other than shooting percentage, he sat out the next year with a knee injury, in which he's never recovered, then was traded to the best team in the NBA that is way deep at his position.

Maybe because Morrison had an alright rookie year other than shooting percentage, he sat out the next year with a knee injury, in which he's never recovered, then was traded to the best team in the NBA that is way deep at his position.

12/3/2 in 30 minutes is "all right?"

Haha, you kinda made my point for me. "alright rookie year other than shooting percentage"= 2.9 RPG, 2.1 APG, 0.4 SPG in 29.8 MPG........ all on the aforementioned 37% shooting from the field. This is how I think Haywards game would translate into the NBA.

Haha, you kinda made my point for me. "alright rookie year other than shooting percentage"= 2.9 RPG, 2.1 APG, 0.4 SPG in 29.8 MPG........ all on the aforementioned 37% shooting from the field. This is how I think Haywards game would translate into the NBA.

But what's your comparison between the two beside the fact that they are both goofy looking white dudes?

How does being slow and white help a player run a structured system that depends on picks, screens and off the ball movement?

....if you can't "create" your own shot because your too slow or can't jump....then you need picks and screens to get an open shot. Sound reasonable?

But what's your comparison between the two beside the fact that they are both goofy looking white dudes?

This has to be a rhetorical question.......right? Umm k: Both came out of college at 6'8" 200lbs (Morrison 205lbs...got me), both put up pretty gaudy numbers in small conferences, both are streaky shooters and questionable from the 3 point line, similar measurements at the pre-draft camp as far as reach and wingspan indicating very similar body types combined with almost identical height and weight..... then there is their actual game. Morrison's, Hayward's . If you can't see similarities there......well, not sure what to say.

But I'm sure it's just me convincing myself of that because they are both white.......

Last edited: