What's new

Destruction of a Nation 101

♪alt13

BTW Utah is one of the few states that does not have a foreign trade deficit. We export more than we import. A trade war will have an even worse effect on this state than most.

Just spent a week in DC talking about this.

It's gonna get really bad. Even republicans are trying to reign him in here, but I guess that's what happens when you elect a liberal.

Just spent a week in DC talking about this.

It's gonna get really bad. Even republicans are trying to reign him in here, but I guess that's what happens when conservatives elect a liberal.

Considering trade wars, ignoring due process with guns, and wanting to spend trillions on infrastructure are almost always democratic views, I figured you would've loved all this.

No, it’s Trump. Can’t like/agree with anything he does or says.

Considering trade wars, ignoring due process with guns, and wanting to spend trillions on infrastructure are almost always democratic views, I figured you would've loved all this.
None of those are Democratic ideals. Ignoring due process... you think ANY serious political ideologues want to do away with due process?

And tariffs? I think the consensus on tariffs, especially retaliatory ones that start trade wars, has been that they are a horrible idea on both sides.

Trump hasn't come over to the liberal side. He's the same authoritarian jackass he's always been. And as I've said, I wouldn't care at all if Trump supported all the same things I support, I still wouldn't like him. He does not have the temperament or personality to be a good President, regardless of what he wants to do in that role.

No, it’s Trump. Can’t like/agree with anything he does or says.

No it wouldn't matter who the president was. This is a bad idea. Ask an economist conservative or liberal and they will tell you the same thing. This is a crazy dumb thing to do.

No it wouldn't matter who the president was. This is a bad idea. Ask an economist conservative or liberal and they will tell you the same thing. This is a crazy dumb thing to do.

So it doesn't matter that Trump is the President? I'm pretty sure it was his crazy dumb thing to do, and he did it. Or so he says....

Please reread my post and the post I quoted.

Well, I thought I did. Sure it would be a bad idea if put forth by any President at this time. But it's not as if the decision, if it comes to pass, exists in a vacumn apart from the man who is putting it out there. And that man is Trump. Anyway, at this point, I agree with the poster you were quoting.

Trump has had a bad couple of weeks. And he ran on a protectionist message. His base liked that message at the time. They cheered that message at his rallies. He usually turns to his base when he's having a particularly bad streak....

http://thehill.com/opinion/finance/...in-his-economic-advisors-protectionist-bubble

"Donald Trump’s tariffs on steel and aluminum, and his threat to slap tariffs on European cars if Europe retaliates, reveal the dangers of his policy approach. House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) just joined the long list of opponents to the tariff idea.
Will Trump listen to them? Not likely. He chooses policies, including his anti-trade mantra, based on the applause they get at his rallies. He relies on those who support them, and ignores experts who have contrary views. As a result, our country is subjected to unnecessary, serious risks."

Well, I thought I did. Sure it would be a bad idea if put forth by any President at this time. But it's not as if the decision, if it comes to pass, exists in a vacumn apart from the man who is putting it out there. And that man is Trump. Anyway, at this point, I agree with the poster you were quoting.

Trump has had a bad couple of weeks. And he ran on a protectionist message. His base liked that message at the time. They cheered that message at his rallies. He usually turns to his base when he's having a particularly bad streak....

http://thehill.com/opinion/finance/...in-his-economic-advisors-protectionist-bubble

"Donald Trump’s tariffs on steel and aluminum, and his threat to slap tariffs on European cars if Europe retaliates, reveal the dangers of his policy approach. House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) just joined the long list of opponents to the tariff idea.
Will Trump listen to them? Not likely. He chooses policies, including his anti-trade mantra, based on the applause they get at his rallies. He relies on those who support them, and ignores experts who have contrary views. As a result, our country is subjected to unnecessary, serious risks."

Let me break this down for you.

RJF You just don't like this idea because Trump came up with it.

me No it doesn't matter that it was Trump's idea it's a dumb idea. I would hate it if it was my personal Hero's idea.

Red why do you love Trump you stupid stupid face?

Srsly bro

His son in law lost his top security clearance, and he's pissed at Gen Kelly for rescinding it. His son in law has also been cast in a light that makes it transparently clear he has used his position in the administration to benefit financially where loans are concerned, and Trump has expressed concern that his son in law may be in some amount of trouble as a result. He lost the one person described as his longest and closest confidant: Hope Hicks. His reaction to the Florida shootings has seen leaders of the gun law reform student survivors speaking bluntly to him in a manner few others have, in a manner that some consider disrespectful, while others are glad they speak to him in a "put him in his place" fashion.

It's not been a good couple of weeks overall. He still has not got a wall, but maybe he can rally his base with a trade war. I have friends cheering him on since he announced his plans for tariffs. I assume, sadly I might add, it's because they are devotees of the cult of personality that is Trump and his reality TV Presidency. Every day of his reality TV Presidency sees an effort to maintain ratings. Initiating a trade war will do that I guess. I just shake my head at my friends. I resigned some time ago to the fact that I cannot penetrate their devotion to their cult leader. From day one, through the campaign, and through his administration to date, he has spoken only to his base. His governing style consists of insulting tweets and campaign style rallies. Reality TV. He has transformed the institution of the Presidency into a reality TV series. The emperor has no clothes, but he has a stranglehold on his base, his cult.

It's a rather amazing feat that he has pulled off, this unshakably loyal cult. And all the news outlets lap it up daily, oblivious to the fact that it is nothing but a reality TV Presidency, overseen by an idiot.

Don't look now, America. The host of your top rated television show, "Donald Trump, the Presidential Edition" is an unhinged idiot. Best of luck to ya'll! The world turns its slack jawed gaze to you.....

Just quietly i don't Trump has had too many good weeks...

It might not be a catastrophic move, im not sure what the numbers are at present, probably much lower than when i studied this stuff 15 odd years ago but the US economy for such a large economy had an awful lot of internal trade, which was its great strength. I would imagine tho, with your budget problems, endless wars and balance of trade issues the position would have weakened. Still it might not be the end of the world, we have the coming war in Korea to look to for that.