What's new

Destruction of a Nation 101

The same thing happened with the rise of Japan's auto industry as a competitor, which was heavily subsidized. I'm sure their quick rise in steel production was subsidized as well. Also, one of the main reasons of the US decline that nobody mentions is the slack in demand that post-industrial nations exhibit. Higher income economies use less steel. They also have largely built out their infrastructure. Our industry and the European companies were basically in a boxing match with each other seeing who could outlast the competition in a declining demand environment.

Dumping didn't help. The notion that US should keep taking it on the chin in unfair trade is silly, but it's not something that can really be discussed on a forum with many never trump members who want any excuse to claim this is the end of the world. The expected immediate increase in auto production is $175/vehicle. Oh my! Who's not going to buy that $50,000 Chevy pickup truck because now it costs $50,175? Or, maybe in a few years it lowers the cost as more steel is made at home and doesn't incur the heavy transportation costs. As Dutch would say, the overreaction to this is a nothing burger.

I agree there is a lot of reaction. If we really wanted to shake things up, a tariff on electronics or textiles would be the way to go (not that I advocate for that). A steel tariff is more bark than bite.

Bitch please. You contrdict yourself with #3. Do you know how much raw iron ore we produce compared to Australia? Fortesque alone, a recent startup, already mines 4 times in the Pilbara the amount we do.

We don't have enough supply to meet our demands. Nucor is our largest manufacturer at about 20 mil metric tons and their electric arc furnaces rely on scrap. We produce about 50 and import 20 more.

So if you are going with the concept that importing cheap and exporting value added products then you would support this bill.

You can't bull **** someone who actually knows what they're talking about, bull *****er hack.

You're a dolt

When that iron ore gets imported back into this country in the shape of a Nissan yeah that adds to the trade deficit d******. It now has a lot of added value. That isn't to say that we shouldn't mine iron ore cuz if you got it, cool beans, but all the jobs in manufacturing design etcetera are way f****** more important than a few thousand mining or in this case steelworkers jobs.

If we really wanted to do something we would treat our massive coal reserves the way OPEC treats its oil. A tax or limit on exported coal would be paid by foreigners(china). Bonus probable greenhouse gas reduction

You're a dolt

When that iron ore gets imported back into this country in the shape of a Nissan yeah that adds to the trade deficit d******. It now has a lot of added value. That isn't to say that we shouldn't mine iron ore cuz if you got it, cool beans, but all the jobs in manufacturing design etcetera are way f****** more important than a few thousand mining or in this case steelworkers jobs.

If we really wanted to do something we would treat our massive coal reserves the way OPEC treats its oil. A tax or limit on exported coal would be paid by foreigners(china). Bonus probable greenhouse gas reduction

Doubling down on the "I don't know **** about the steel industry" bit? The US is not going to become a steel exporter to Japan. Japan started gobbling up US market share long ago and have enough production capacity. They're also a helluva lot closer to Australia and Japan so their import costs are lower than ours.

One final tidbit for the chicken littles: the US has had steel tariffs over the years. Voluntary restraint agreements and a trigger price mechanism. These didn't destroy the world economy.

Best POTUS in a long time.
In the real world where most people live, he's accomplished a ton in his first year.
In the land of "I still cant handle that he won", I'm sure it has been rough.
That nuclear war with North Korea he was sure to start by not kissing their ***...yeah, not so much..
The economy sure to dive with his election...yeah....best in a long time..
Anyway, just wanted to fan the flames a bit for you all with some reality.
Now back to the unhinged hate-fest.., lol, best year of my life almost watching all the meltdowns...continue

Doubling down on the "I don't know **** about the steel industry" bit? The US is not going to become a steel exporter to Japan. Japan started gobbling up US market share long ago and have enough production capacity. They're also a helluva lot closer to Australia and Japan so their import costs are lower than ours.

One final tidbit for the chicken littles: the US has had steel tariffs over the years. Voluntary restraint agreements and a trigger price mechanism. These didn't destroy the world economy.

No one thinks we are going to become an exporter of steel, nor did I ever say that. You are the only person who hlseems to think that this will improve our trade deficit(which is an asinine position). We do export iron ore but that's getting out in the weeds.

On your second "point" yes we had steel tariffs and they were rescinded for a good reason, they were bad for the economy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hief-of-staff-warns-trump-not-to-do-the-same/

No one thinks we are going to become an exporter of steel, nor did I ever say that. You are the only person who hlseems to think that this will improve our trade deficit(which is an asinine position). We do export iron ore but that's getting out in the weeds.

On your second "point" yes we had steel tariffs and they were rescinded for a good reason, they were bad for the economy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hief-of-staff-warns-trump-not-to-do-the-same/

I'm not reading that link since I'm pretty sure it mainly regurgitates M. Moore's NBER publucation, which I've already read several times.

You are a free trade advocate. I'm a free and fair trade advocate. Uncontested trade deficits cannot continue indefinitely and situational sanctions have a proper role in economic policy. America has been pretty damn good with them over the years.

Best POTUS in a long time.
In the real world where most people live, he's accomplished a ton in his first year.
In the land of "I still cant handle that he won", I'm sure it has been rough.
That nuclear war with North Korea he was sure to start by not kissing their ***...yeah, not so much..
The economy sure to dive with his election...yeah....best in a long time..
Anyway, just wanted to fan the flames a bit for you all with some reality.
Now back to the unhinged hate-fest.., lol, best year of my life almost watching all the meltdowns...continue
Best year of your life because people are unhappy. I feel sorry for you.

Best year of your life because people are unhappy. I feel sorry for you.
He does point out quite a bizarre paradox. The Trump presidency has been one of the strangest experiences of my lifetime. He goes about things in ways that seem so wrong, and he stirs up such constant chaos and anger, yet somehow he continues to be incredibly effective in getting things done.

He does point out quite a bizarre paradox. The Trump presidency has been one of the strangest experiences of my lifetime. He goes about things in ways that seem so wrong, and he stirs up such constant chaos and anger, yet somehow he continues to be incredibly effective in getting things done.
no doubt.
the happiness he derives from other peoples misery is a strange thing to me though.

His exact words: "best year of my life almost watching all the meltdowns."
So almost the best year of his life i took to mean as he had a good year. Not sure how you comprehend that part but that is what that part meant to me.
Now why was it almost the best year of his life according to him? Due to "watching all the meltdowns". What does meltdown mean in this context? Here is what the google has to say: Frustration, anxiety, stress, upset, and depression: Together they can lead to an emotional eruption, or what some people call a “meltdown.” Sometimes you feel so emotionally overwhelmed by unpleasant feelings that you can no longer control them or hide them from others.

So when i used my reading comprehension to comprehend what was meant by "best year of my life almost watching all the meltdowns" I took it to mean that he had one of the best years of his life due to watching people feel frustration, anxiety, stress, depression, and emotionally overwhelmed with unpleasant feelings.

How did i comprehend that wrong? How did you comprehend that?

Wow. I'm amazed you actually looked all that up! And on a Saturday too. You're too easy.

Anyways...you still missed it.

1) The obvious hyperbole in his statement is well...obvious. Or so I thought.

2) What's consistently the most popular thread on the Jazz board? Why...it's the opponent reaction thread! Why? Because we enjoy reading their comments and seeing them "meltdown" throughout the course of the game. We must all be a bunch of sad, miserable people that you feel sorry for. Weird that you haven't commented that there though.

Wow. I'm amazed you actually looked all that up! And on a Saturday too. You're too easy.

2) What's consistently the most popular thread on the Jazz board? Why...it's the opponent reaction thread! Why? Because we enjoy reading their comments and seeing them "meltdown" throughout the course of the game. We must all be a bunch of sad, miserable people that you feel sorry for. Weird that you haven't commented that there though.

Lol

Last edited:

We're way past meltdown mode and into full hysteria. It's funny as hell and I enjoy it every bit as much as I did the Obama hysteria.

Like my boss says, politics is WWE.

Lol. Can't believe Fish blocked me over that.

I didn’t block you for that. I have had you ignored for a long long time because I never ever have a positive interaction with you. I had just chose to read your ignored posts in this thread and then respond. I quickly realized that was a mistake.

I didn’t block you for that. I have had you ignored for a long long time because I never ever have a positive interaction with you. I had just chose to read your ignored posts in this thread and then respond. I quickly realized that was a mistake.
I like reading both of your posts, so if you need to pass a message across the void just let me know.

Pretty sure I gave money for a gift for your kid.

Glad to see you didn't view that as a positive interaction. Thanks fish!