What's new

Destruction of a Nation 101

Yeah, sure. Whatever. What do you think about this @babe

who owns Fox and runs these stations. Somebody with the news they want to publish, I bet.

A hundred and fifty years ago, a progressive shill newspaper man who worked on a Comstock newspaper that routinely published paid-for "news" hawking mining stocks, totally fraudulent news generally, decided to become a humorist, and told the truth.

"Let sleeping dogs lie, but if there is much at stake, you'd better get the Press to do it."

My ggfather helped him get the news out.

forty plus years ago, I had a friend working on KSL TV.... well more than one friend, plus a relative who worked for the station. My friend quit in disgust because of the editorial policies which amounted, in his opinion, to bald-faced lying to the public, for the sake of public relations on behalf of liberal biases. Yes, I said "liberal" and KSL. The manager was a honcho attending the CFR (Rockefeller "progressive") local committee shindigs. My relative stated well enough the factual bias of the station's honcho, and his son was also my friend, and a positively confirmed product of the political line. I also worked for a man who was inducted into the honorable association, who was influential in the LDS church as well, holding a recognizable position in the Church. He thought Nixon was a fine man and didn't deserve the Press he got either, though he was very certain that the EPA was a great institution. He was a mining consultant, and I'm glad because Kennecott did clean up their emissions a bit ahead of the curve of regulators, and we got unleaded gasoline too.

Whatever I read, I consider the source as having a point of view. If I see a determined effort to present it objectively, I will consider it a rare and fine thing, possible only because the writer has no dog in the fight.

I stopped listening to KSL radio after Bob Lee was moved on down the road.... I think he quit actually, in disgust about being told to moderate his political views to fit the program. The man who replaced him grew up next door to me, I knew his mom and younger brother fairly well, and met him when he was a rock jock on KCPX. Doug Wright has never been very credible to me as a news or talk show product, but he is a pretty nice guy. He just puts his finger in the breeze and says what is wanted. I guess there will always be news and opinions like that.

Pretty sure nothing has changed much since then. yep, I meant since "Mark Twain".

I'm sure Trump will give as much as he gets, with whatever resources available.

Last edited:
LOL. Read his comment again. You've misunderstood.
tenor.gif

Except that I have an entire thread showing that CNN frequently spews beliefs contrary to liberalism or the DNC. They may lean left, but they DO NOT exclude information that contradicts the left.

I disagree that CNN leans left. CNN has an establishment bias, similar to the New York Times or the Washington Post. It has a bias toward alarmism. It has a bias toward the Golden Mean.

By contrast, MSNBC does have a liberal bias.

None of those are Democratic ideals.

And tariffs? I think the consensus on tariffs, especially retaliatory ones that start trade wars, has been that they are a horrible idea on both sides.

Depends on who has bought the particular politician, the unions or big biz. Dems tend to be more union-aligned and protectionist. Repubs will be pro-tariff if it helps their corporate sponsors.

Depends on who has bought the particular politician, the unions or big biz. Dems tend to be more union-aligned and protectionist. Repubs will be pro-tariff if it helps their corporate sponsors.
I could be ignorant on this issue, but I don't remember any President in my lifetime advocating for significant unilateral tariffs. I don't see tariffs as a fundamental part of either party's platform.

I could be ignorant on this issue, but I don't remember any President in my lifetime advocating for significant unilateral tariffs. I don't see tariffs as a fundamental part of either party's platform.

I assume you mean any president before trump, since he has been nativist/ isolationist/ protectionist from campaign through presidency

I assume you mean any president before trump, since he has been nativist/ isolationist/ protectionist from campaign through presidency
Well, yeah. But the point I was addressing was someone saying essentially Democrats were all for tariffs until Trump announced tariffs.

There are many thousands of tariffs on everything from food to chemicals to apparel to footwear to .... you name it, most imported products are taxed. So if politicians are opposed to tariffs they are not doing much to get rid of them. Exceptions are free trade agreements, but even those are under attack (eg. nafta).