What's new

do NOT bring back George Hill

Honestly I have said all along. There is no way in hell I give him 20 mil + per year. I like him but he has been injury prone. And I strongly believe in exum. Exum still has a ton of upside, I envision him to be the starter next year

I love Exum. Like favorite player love. And I believe he can figure this thing out. But.....

If Exum is the starter next year, it means the Jazz are most likely regressing - at least in the short term.

Hopefully Utah is resting up both Hill and Favors for playoff time to methodically beat the Clippers with a fresher team. If we get a 80% Hill and a 75% Favors for the playoffs we will be in really good hands.

I have a feeling Hill will feel like he had short changed us this year with all the injuries, etc,.

He is a good man, and because of that I think he will give us a discount on his new contract.

He will re-sign with us for lower than market value.
He should but won't

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Hopefully Utah is resting up both Hill and Favors for playoff time to methodically beat the Clippers with a fresher team. If we get a 80% Hill and a 75% Favors for the playoffs we will be in really good hands.

Hayward and Hill sure. But Favors could do with some more burn.

I like Hill. Injuries suck. I wouldn't want to spend 20 mil for four years on him at this point, especially with the injury problem tho.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

It would be good to keep Hill for a few more years but given the cap and the expected salaries, I'd rather ensure to retain Ingles.

4 years @ 20 million for hill? He's about to turn 31 in may... that would make him 35 at the end of the contract. he cant even stay healthy now, let alone when he's past the age that many NBA players have retired by.

its crazy how quickly he regressed back to his averages too. He was so fire to start the season, now looking at his stats he's basically the same guy he's been for the last few years (injuries included). He's a good player for sure, wouldn't put all my chips in on him though.

I won't be mad about last night if Hill can give us some good games in the playoffs. Win one in LA, and homecourt swings back to Utah.

That said, I will be mildly surprised if Hill is back next season. Our 2017-18 starter at PG is probably not on the roster right now. Dante is not ready.

Hill is 31 I wouldn't blame him for searching for that money. I just hope he comes back strong to make a nice playoff push.

Did I not call this **** almost verbatim ahead of time? THe word of the day is prescient. Cy knows, he was trying to hold my feet to the fire about it months after the fact, someone made a thread to mention that I called the move "Heinous" or something like that.. That thread did pages but this comment will get like 1 MAYBE 2 responses LOL.

Was faulted for saying sensible things like 'lets give it time'

I talked about the risk/reward of the move being way too high and how they're conceeding way too much leverage in future negotiations with hill.

There are in fact parallels with the Carmelo trade, and there was good players to be had on the board. Ones that'd cost like $2MM a peice for the next 3 seasons and then would be RFA's...

I talked about the risk of injury trading for a vet on a one year unrestricted deal.. They got a rental that plays sparingly at a whopping upfront cost. ATL is the true winner of that trade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thG4NRPDBjE

Last edited:
the real elephant in the room as far as I'm concerned is why didn't they just let him expire and then try to bid on him in the offseason? THATS WHAT MOST MAKES IT LIKE THE CARMELO SITUATION... (The rationale is ofc; instant gratification seeking)

They paid a big premium, upfront, so they have the right to run the price up on themselves.. end of story.

There's also another elephant in the room and thats just the long-term damage that have been done to Hill's extremities from playing ball.. I bet you his feet are all ****ed up looking, if we're being honest.

Jazz need a lockdown defender maybe even before an upgrade at point. Unless those two can be one and the same. I hate seeing every skilled PG in the league torching this team. Yes, amazing athletes are doing it but even Tony Parker still kills us with his draw and kick. Was hoping Dante with his length could become that but he's like a newborn giraffe still.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

I think Hill moves on by himself. Unless he has a great performance in the playoff I think the Jazz will look for more consistency (and less apathy). It's disapointing, I was so excited to finally have a point guard this year. Instead it's been the same **** for most of the season. The jazz trying to scrape by with a heap of equally bad point guards. It's a tough bind. We have to get a point guard for this team. We need one this offseason to show to Hayward. It's not Exum. Even if Exum turns out to be an nba player, and even that seems sketchy to me, he's not a point guard. I accept that we'll have to part way with Favors after next season (in the meantime I don't see a reason to move him--his trade value has never been lower and he'll have incentive to play for a contract next year). I'd throw a lot of money at Rubio. That'd be ideal. But longshot. We won't be the only ones going after him and Minnesota will probably want to keep him after all. But a core of Rubio/Hayward/Gobert would be legit. Ingles/Johnson/Hood around them. Try to fill out the roster. Sixty wins.

Dude, teh Jazz tried to extend him. They want him in Utah. Why do you feel like Hill is apathetic towards Utah exactly? Because he got injured?

We kind of got this PG right now who is averaging 17 ppg on the year with 40% 3pt shooting. His name is George Hill and he has been great when healthy. But we are blaming him for getting an injury?

And Rubio isnt a FA, he is under contract for 2 more years until the 2019/2020. And while I like Rubio, he is putting together his first competent run of scoring in his entire career and still remains a questionable 3pt shooter. And our offense is very questionable to work with Rubio's skillset. He needs the ball in his hands a lot and our offense shares a lot of playmaking with the wings. Would Rubio struggle more like he did with LaVine in the lineup? Very likely.

George Hill is the perfect fit. Let's just hope there isnt anyone willing to give him a max contract.

Last edited:
I'd still like him back. I think in hindsight he will have shot himself in the foot (no pun intended) by not extending. I do think that's dropped his value just because his name hasn't been out there and people may look at his numbers this year in limited games as an anomaly and not wish to max that for a number of years.

He plays both ends of the floor and I think his fit is good. Almost ideal. If he knew he was here for a few years I think that'd help, too. I don't want to completely splurge though. However, I'm curious what our alternatives are (seriously) and not just at PG. If he leaves, it better be to make room for something else that's not "cap space" and "flexibility" and everyone saying "yeah now we're going to take on a good player at the deadline that someone wants to move FTW!"

If he goes, we need Deron back ASAP. Exum lacking a lot of mental toughness.

I'd still like him back. I think in hindsight he will have shot himself in the foot (no pun intended) by not extending. I do think that's dropped his value just because his name hasn't been out there and people may look at his numbers this year in limited games as an anomaly and not wish to max that for a number of years.

He plays both ends of the floor and I think his fit is good. Almost ideal. If he knew he was here for a few years I think that'd help, too. I don't want to completely splurge though. However, I'm curious what our alternatives are (seriously) and not just at PG. If he leaves, it better be to make room for something else that's not "cap space" and "flexibility" and everyone saying "yeah now we're going to take on a good player at the deadline that someone wants to move FTW!"

If he goes, we need Deron back ASAP. Exum lacking a lot of mental toughness.

The irony of adding Dwill though is that he is 100% more injury prone than Hill.

The irony of adding Dwill though is that he is 100% more injury prone than Hill.

It'd only be ironic if I were saying not to sign Hill because he's injury prone, which I'm not. However, I still don't know that it'd be all that ironic if someone had that opinion as they may prefer a $10M Deron who's "injury prone" to a $25M Hill who's "injury prone."

they're definitely both injury prone. Williams has played in 30 more games than hill has over the past 3 seasons though (almost an extra half a season).

they're definitely both injury prone. Williams has played in 30 more games than hill has over the past 3 seasons though (almost an extra half a season).

Not really. Dwill has a longer injury history. You took a sample of the last 3 years, which happen to be the only two years Hill has had an injury problems.