What's new

do NOT bring back George Hill

George Hill sitting out to be healthy for the playoffs is the right thing to do. IMO home court is overrated. We don't match up well with the Clips either way so we have our work cut out for us. Hopefully Favs is right because that would make a big difference. In the bigger scheme of things - I hope we don't bring him back unless he takes considerably south of 20M. That has nothing to do with him sitting out last night. It has to do with his overall career performance and his health issues this year. Since his hot start this year, his play has leveled out to be what one expects George Hill to be. A nice solid point guard who fits our system well but nothing special. And certainly not the 3rd piece of the all important puzzle.

Bottom line is if we don't have Hill, Clippers pulverize us in the first round HCA or not. In the playoffs Mack and Exum would wet the bed and not get a single call vs Chrissy.
So I think Hill could have gone these last few games but the risk far outweighs the reward. Do I like our chances without HCA even with Hill? No, but having him is priority #1.

I would still give hill 4 years 80 million. Still think he gets more though. Hope the jazz don't give him what he wants and will likely get. (Something closer to 4 years 120 million I think)

Only Sixers and Nets would offer that type of dough. But Sixers are snakebit with all their injured youngsters, I doubt they'd take a chance on Hill. Nets are dumb enough to do it. Does Hill want to spend the last 4 years of his career in a living hell? I bet the Spurs get him for 3/36. Hill's agent is delusional.

Not really. Dwill has a longer injury history. You took a sample of the last 3 years, which happen to be the only two years Hill has had an injury problems.

But last 3 years are most germane. An injury for DWill at age 26 seems almost irrelevant. Although Hill's injuries seem to be more flukey versus chronic.

4 years @ 20 million for hill? He's about to turn 31 in may... that would make him 35 at the end of the contract. he cant even stay healthy now, let alone when he's past the age that many NBA players have retired by.

Most PG's performance falls off a cliff at 31. Whoever gives CP3 a megamax will regret it, for example.

If he does come back i would think there's every reason to expect close to a full season out of him. It's not like he's had a succession of soft tissue injuries. Deron you just know he's not gonna play more than 20 games before he gets some random strained calf type injury.

Not really. Dwill has a longer injury history. You took a sample of the last 3 years, which happen to be the only two years Hill has had an injury problems.

a player's injury history 10 years ago when they were 20 years old isn't really relevant to TODAY cy. The past 3 years paints a pretty good picture of currency.

I only bring back Hill if he helps us win a playoff game. By help us win, I mean we would have lost without him in the roster. If he doesnt do that once, he's not worth $20 or more.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I only bring back Hill if he helps us win a playoff game. By help us win, I mean we would have lost without him in the roster. If he doesnt do that once, he's not worth $20 or more.

i think you're being generous, i'd expect a real hard fought loss with him playing incredible or win a series for him to be worth that pricetag.

Sure they do.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

what matters is have they been missing games recently (past few seasons). there are guy who have moderately serious injuries early in their careers and then go on to play consistently for many more injury free. There are others who are injury free in their youth and then start wearing out and breaking down as they age. What is important is what's happening now (past couple years is still relatively current). What is happening NOW, is that george hill has now missed 82 games in the last 3 seasons, which no matter how much you spin it, is significant.

i think you're being generous, i'd expect a real hard fought loss with him playing incredible or win a series for him to be worth that pricetag.
I agree 100%. However, his market will be in that range. With the cap and luxury going up that much, somebody would pay 2/3 of a max contract for a good starter.

ya quite the conundrum

Except the rapid escalation of the salary cap isn't taking quite the trajectory that most thought when the new contract was signed. Signing 31 year old players, especially point guards, to that kind of contract is a tremendous risk, especially when good point guards really aren't a rarity.

Except the rapid escalation of the salary cap isn't taking quite the trajectory that most thought when the new contract was signed. Signing 31 year old players, especially point guards, to that kind of contract is a tremendous risk, especially when good point guards really aren't a rarity.

hence the conundrum comment.

Im a fan of George Hill. What a tough year for him with all time missed.
Is it a one year bad luck thing? I dont think hes soft. Hes lucky to have played as much as he did with all the injuries.

The money is the biggest issue to me. Hes set his price out of our range.
I only see him coming back if his price comes down.

Im a fan of George Hill. What a tough year for him with all time missed.
Is it a one year bad luck thing? I dont think hes soft. Hes lucky to have played as much as he did with all the injuries.

The money is the biggest issue to me. Hes set his price out of our range.
I only see him coming back if his price comes down.
By the standards Jazz players had when I grew up, he's Charmin soft. So is Favors. More than likely, we wont see the 2nd round again this year. When players miss as much as our players miss, we lose out on building continuity.

Sure, people can argue that we are saving him for the playoffs, but he has missed too much time all year for that argument to mean as much now. I have lost respect for him. He can only get that respect back by playing well in the playoffs AND giving us a fair contract.

By the standards Jazz players had when I grew up, he's Charmin soft. So is Favors. More than likely, we wont see the 2nd round again this year. When players miss as much as our players miss, we lose out on building continuity.

Sure, people can argue that we are saving him for the playoffs, but he has missed too much time all year for that argument to mean as much now. I have lost respect for him. He can only get that respect back by playing well in the playoffs AND giving us a fair contract.

With this management and coaching staff I'm sure Karl would have missed more games.