What's new

Donovan Mitchell Highlight Videos, Spectacular Plays

Is it blasphemy to hope he doesn't put up 26 ****ing shots per night? He converted above 50%, but damn, the kid has no brakes.

We are starting to see a budding passing game and some court vision for Mitchell. Some beautiful kick outs and drives and dishes to a cutting big. There is potential there.

I just want to take a minute to remind myself how unbelievably fortunate we are to have picked up Donovan Mitchell (this looked like the best thread to do it in). So far, he looks to easily be the best player from the loaded 2017 draft. We went into that draft with the 24th pick, not expecting anything, and we came out of with someone who looks like a young Dwyane Wade. It kind of feels a bit unreal and too good to be true, but I'm pretty damn sure it all actually happened and I'm not dreaming.

Jazz are still a very slow team. Which means Mitchell's stats are lower than they should be.

Per 100 possessions Mitchell is almost 30 points which is much better than any other rookie. For comparison Simmons is around 22 points per 100.

I am starting to lean towards Mitchell winning ROY. Or at least getting screwed out of deserving it...

We are starting to see a budding passing game and some court vision for Mitchell. Some beautiful kick outs and drives and dishes to a cutting big. There is potential there.
He makes good passes and gets good reads. I think we conceptualize the PG position a bit funny because of historical precedent, but honestly, how is what Hill did at PG any different than DM, as far as playing PG? DM makes things happen. He puts up a lot of shots but he's not selfish and he's drawing double teams. In the radio broadcast last night Locke said he was #3 in the league of teammates' FG% off of his passes -- he gets the open guy with good looks.

Jazz are still a very slow team. Which means Mitchell's stats are lower than they should be.

Per 100 possessions Mitchell is almost 30 points which is much better than any other rookie. For comparison Simmons is around 22 points per 100.

I am starting to lean towards Mitchell winning ROY. Or at least getting screwed out of deserving it...

There is more to ROY than PPG.

Simmons: 17.5 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 7.7 apg, .8 bpg, 2 spg, 50.4 FG%, 56.7 FT% on 5.2 FTApg with 4 TOs pg in 36.2 mpg

Mitchell: 17.8 ppg, 3 rpg, 3.3 apg, .5 bpg, 1.5 spg, 42 FG%, 84.4 FT% on 2.8 FTApg with 2.5 TOs pg in 29.9 mpg.

Mitchell shoots 3s, has a better FT % and less turnovers.

Simmons has better rebounds, assists, steals, FTA and FG%.

Mitchell has closed the gap but I still think Simmons is the leader.

There is more to ROY than PPG.

Simmons: 17.5 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 7.7 apg, .8 bpg, 2 spg, 50.4 FG%, 56.7 FT% on 5.2 FTApg with 4 TOs pg in 36.2 mpg

Mitchell: 17.8 ppg, 3 rpg, 3.3 apg, .5 bpg, 1.5 spg, 42 FG%, 84.4 FT% on 2.8 FTApg with 2.5 TOs pg in 29.9 mpg.

Mitchell shoots 3s, has a better FT % and less turnovers.

Simmons has better rebounds, assists, steals, FTA and FG%.

Mitchell has closed the gap but I still think Simmons is the leader.
I agree there is more to it. Like taking over hands in the fourth and putting your team on your back. If Jazz end up with a similar and or better Mitchell is leading the Jazz in PPG than I think it's a no brainer that Mitchell should be Roy over Simmons. There is things Simmons is doing but as far as scoring is going Mitchell is head and shoulders above him. There is also defense that I give the edge to Mitchell at as well.

Mitchell had a slow start but has been better since he got over that. There is still a long ways to go so that might change again.

But I understand why someone would have Simmons #1. I just think Mitchell has surpassed him this month.

I agree there is more to it. Like taking over hands in the fourth and putting your team on your back. If Jazz end up with a similar and or better Mitchell is leading the Jazz in PPG than I think it's a no brainer that Mitchell should be Roy over Simmons. There is things Simmons is doing but as far as scoring is going Mitchell is head and shoulders above him. There is also defense that I give the edge to Mitchell at as well.

Mitchell had a slow start but has been better since he got over that. There is still a long ways to go so that might change again.

But I understand why someone would have Simmons #1. I just think Mitchell has surpassed him this month.

You make a good argument about usage and taking over in the 4th quarter. I think Mitchell has certainly made it a 2 horse race. Right now I give Simmons the edge but if Mitchell keeps this up I can see him winning it. Especially if he continues to improve his %s and assist numbers.

I think Simmons' lack of 3 point shooting (and his unwillingless to shoot it) is going to be a black mark against him. I mean, think about it, even Centers like Marc Gasol, Embiid, Lopez, Cousins, etc, are shooting the 3pt shot. How can you be the ROY and take no 3pt shot all year?

Looking at it that way Mitchell is more of complete player and therefore should get the ROY.

Him or Tatum. Tatum is still 1.5 years younger than Mitchell and is 6'8, so I think he would still get the edge.
lol. They don't play the same position or have the same role at alll but okay. Forget that DM is the sole reliable offensive option for the Jazz and Tatum feasts off the ball.

You're comparing apples to oranges in terms of what they are as players. What we do know is that Mitchell is producing more in a much more difficult situation than Tatum.

In other words, I think your assessment is wrong and lacks depth.

You're comparing apples to oranges in terms of what they are as players. What we do know is that Mitchell is producing more in a much more difficult situation than Tatum.

In other words, I think your assessment is wrong and lacks depth.
Someone asked if a redraft happened who would go #1 and I said DM or Tatum. I just sided with Tatum because of the age and height factor. This is still the NBA and 6'8 wings are still the highest demanded asset. I don't think any team would look just strictly at current results in conducting a hypothetical redraft.