What's new

ESPN predicts Jazz finish 5th.

"With veterans George Hill, Joe Johnson and Boris Diaw joining a young and promising nucleus led by Gordon Hayward, Derrick Favors and Rudy Gobert, our forecast has Utah leaping from the lottery to the No. 5 seed. In addition to the stable of veteran support, Dante Exum -- the No. 5 overall pick in 2014 -- is set to return after missing all of last season with a torn ACL. A methodical squad, the Jazz ranked third in defensive efficiency after the All-Star break while playing at the league's slowest pace."

I think that the Jazz and Blazers swap positions and OKC is too high.

GSW
SAS
LAC
UTA
POR
MEM
HOU
OKC

I have the Jazz 4 or 5. I expect them to be better than the Blazers. The division comes down to the Jazz and Thunder (if Westbrook stays)

Warriors
Spurs
Clippers
Thunder
Jazz
Blazers
Grizzlies
Mavericks

I have the Jazz 4 or 5. I expect them to be better than the Blazers. The division comes down to the Jazz and Thunder (if Westbrook stays)

Warriors
Spurs
Clippers
Thunder
Jazz
Blazers
Grizzlies
Mavericks

Thunder are too high. Yes they have Westbrook but they lost Ibaka and Durant. That means Kanter is now a starter for OKC. Their D just tanked, hard.

I'm just don't get it with Portland. They didn't do anything to get better and greatly benefited from all the injuries last year. I think they will be around the same as last year with 45 or so wins.

Going from the 12th spot in the draft to 5th in the West would be a huge accomplishment that most Jazz fans would still cry about.

I think they're sleeping on Memphis, and most people are. They were a 50 win team before their team was nuked by injuries, and they added a really good player at a spot where they've never been as strong.

I like

1. GSW
2. LAC
3. SAS
4. MEM
5. UTA
6. POR
7. OKC
8. DAL(?)

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

The Jazz are possibly the only team in the west that got substantially better without sacrificing something.

Warriors got Durant but traded Bogut and bench got worse
Spurs got Gasol but lost Duncan and Diaw. 1 year older
OKC lost Durant and Ibaka, Kanter is likely a starter
Clips about static
POR about static
Dallas got older and lost Parsons
Houston lost Howard and with D'Antoni as coach will have traffic cone D
Memphis static
Lakers are better simply being post Kobe but still bad overall
Minny improved but they are about 1-2 years behind the Jazz on that process
Denver improved
Sactown is Sactown. Coachng carosel, org problems...
PHO is static
Pels got healthy

I'm just not sold on Portland going into this season. I think they caught everyone by surprise last year and over performed, but this year teams will be ready and I don't know if all the role players will contribute as much as last. I expect a Suns-like performance. The Suns shock everyone and win 48 games 2 years ago then back to earth of 39 wins the next season. Phoenix didn't have a player of Dame's quality, but I just see a drop coming for them.

I think they're sleeping on Memphis, and most people are. They were a 50 win team before their team was nuked by injuries, and they added a really good player at a spot where they've never been as strong.

I like

1. GSW
2. LAC
3. SAS
4. MEM
5. UTA
6. POR
7. OKC
8. DAL(?)

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Didn't they also gut their bench at the end of last season?

Thunder are too high. Yes they have Westbrook but they lost Ibaka and Durant. That means Kanter is now a starter for OKC. Their D just tanked, hard.

I still think they are a good team as long as they have Westbrook. A few years ago they only had Durant for 27 games, Westbrook missed a chunk of the season as well and they still won 45 games. This team is much more balanced and has more depth than that one. Westbrook, Oladipo, Adams, Kanter, Roberson, Sabonis, Ilyasova. It's still a talented group.

I'll buy the Jazz at 5. I think it will be POR-UTA-MEM in some order, so I could see us anywhere from 4-6.

I still think they are a good team as long as they have Westbrook. A few years ago they only had Durant for 27 games, Westbrook missed a chunk of the season as well and they still won 45 games. This team is much more balanced and has more depth than that one. Westbrook, Oladipo, Adams, Kanter, Roberson, Sabonis, Ilyasova. It's still a talented group.

I think they will be good. But not #4 good. I say 7th or 8th.

Agreed, and that OKC team did underperform a bit when they were without KD and Ibaka coming down the stretch 2 seasons ago, but with an entire offseason to prepare not having those 2 I think they'll be fine. Westbrook's numbers this year could be historically great and I think they'll be right in the fight for 4th ish seed.