What's new

Exum Update

Exum has become more valuable to this team as the season has gone on. I foresee a long career for Exum in Utah as Mitchell's running mate. I've been championing him for two years now as a future star, and still see this path for him.

I know there are some hurt asses around here that he's was on a short leash last year, but anyone with half a brain could see how raw he is, plus the jazz being in a playoff year, they were looking for as many wins as possible. It was heartbreaking for me to see him injured the way it went down. Players progress at different speeds. Mitchell's and Exum are on opposite end of that progression scale. For those of you die hard Exum fans, don't worry, be patient, his time is coming. I'm rooting for losses. I'd love to get a top 3 pick this year to ad to our talent pool that includes DM, X, and Gobert.

They said it.

I do not remember them saying it but have no reason to doubt you.

If true, for this reason alone, I'm glad Hayward signed elsewhere. Exum will be better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is highly debatable. I am high on Exum and think he is much better than he has shown. Hayward has shown that he is an allstar and a very high caliber player. Exum has a lot to prove before I'll give him that nod.

Seems like a lot of ppl in the media with a lot of access to the jazz say Hayward didnt like Exum that much. The Jazz, worried about losing Hayward, didnt always put Dante in the best positions to be successful. The offense Hayward liked and the one Dante needs are pretty different.

This is the first I have heard of this, but I don't get local sports radio at the moment. Or for the past five years for that matter.

Same. I follow SLC Dunk and all the usual Jazz beat writers and never heard this.

Over my 40-year career, I have seen a lot of good co-workers/managers fired, riffed, or quit. My observation is that when this happened, the former co-worker/manager -- no matter how highly respected or praised while employed -- suddenly became responsible for every problem or slight within the department. I knew for a fact that some of the accusations couldn't be true, but it was so much easier for everyone to besmirch the name of a former employee than take responsibility for the their own shortcomings.

I call this phenomena, "human nature."

This may not be the case with regard to Hayward, but it's something I keep in mind when we blame him for the Rubio trade or Exum's/Burks' lack of playing time.

Then, ill use the term ball handler for your sake. He will need to play off ball and more in the post if he cant learn to shoot and his team wants to be successful in the post seaso.

I usually like your takes but I'm pretty baffled by your view. Shooting is much more important to be effective off-ball than on-ball. Westbrook is not a great shooter. With the ball in his hands his strengths are leveraged. His vision, passing skills, hoops IQ,, etc. Off-ball, Simmon's elite skills are mostly wasted.

I usually like your takes but I'm pretty baffled by your view. Shooting is much more important to be effective off-ball than on-ball. Westbrook is not a great shooter. With the ball in his hands his strengths are leveraged. His vision, passing skills, hoops IQ,, etc. Off-ball, Simmon's elite skills are mostly wasted.

I agree with some of that. Off the ball on the wing he needs to be able to shoot, that's why I said in the post. I think he will have to play pf if he can't learn to shoot.

Westbrook isn't a great shooter but he can shoot and is a threat. You can't just leave him open.

You can't run the pick and roll or beat your man off the dribble if they don't respect you shooting. Smart defenders/teams are starting to and will increasingly sag way off him. You can't set a screen if the defender is sagged off and you are not going to drive past them.

There is some stuff you can do and they do to combat that but come playoffs it will become a problem.

Teasing his homers aside on here, he can become really good if he learns to shoot even decent.

This is all true, but if they're down one and need a bucket there could easily be a better option. Sometimes you need a guy who can get his own shot and score from anywhere.

Westbrook isnt bad off-ball because of his shooting...

Seems like a lot of ppl in the media with a lot of access to the jazz say Hayward didnt like Exum that much. The Jazz, worried about losing Hayward, didnt always put Dante in the best positions to be successful. The offense Hayward liked and the one Dante needs are pretty different.

Didn't like the player - not the man right?

Over my 40-year career, I have seen a lot of good co-workers/managers fired, riffed, or quit. My observation is that when this happened, the former co-worker/manager -- no matter how highly respected or praised while employed -- suddenly became responsible for every problem or slight within the department. I knew for a fact that some of the accusations couldn't be true, but it was so much easier for everyone to besmirch the name of a former employee than take responsibility for the their own shortcomings.

I call this phenomena, "human nature."

This may not be the case with regard to Hayward, but it's something I keep in mind when we blame him for the Rubio trade or Exum's/Burks' lack of playing time.
I dont remember anyone blaming hayward for burks or exums lack of playing time. Burks playing time was always taken by the likes of roger braille, cj miles, josh howard, randy foye, richard jefferson, and rodney hood.
Exum has been robbed by the likes of neto and mack.
I think that using hindsight, the minutes allocated to braille, cj, josh howard, foye, jefferson, hood, neto and mack would have been better served going to Burks and X
Don't remember anyone ever blaming hayward though.

I cannot believe people actually want Deron back. What a distraction that would be for a player who is done. Play Rubio, Neto and Mitchell at point and wait until Exum gets back.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I cannot believe people actually want Deron back. What a distraction that would be for a player who is done. Play Rubio, Neto and Mitchell at point and wait until Exum gets back.
23gl17.jpg

I may eve be willing to bring back Memo to open the floor for Donovan.

I dont remember anyone blaming hayward for burks or exums lack of playing time. Burks playing time was always taken by the likes of roger braille, cj miles, josh howard, randy foye, richard jefferson, and rodney hood.
Exum has been robbed by the likes of neto and mack.
I think that using hindsight, the minutes allocated to braille, cj, josh howard, foye, jefferson, hood, neto and mack would have been better served going to Burks and X
Don't remember anyone ever blaming hayward though.
:`(

23gl17.jpg

I may eve be willing to bring back Memo to open the floor for Donovan.
Actually, I may bring back Malone to be a stretch four. He only needs 12 PPG for this season and next for the scoring title.

Get it done DL.

Dante’s rookie year stats make Donovan look all that more impressive.