What's new

Exum Update

Dante’s rookie year stats make Donovan look all that more impressive.
You have to remember that Dante was 19 years old and not 21 like Donovan. Think of Donovan as a college freshman and compare those two players. It's impossible, but I'm sure Donovan wouldn't have been anything like what he is now. I'm just glad that he figured things out so quickly. Hopefully Dante can make up for lost time soon and surprise some people who think he is a bust.

I really don’t think Dante is a bust, I think Dante will be good. He sure is injury prone though.

Yeah, SLC Punks talked about pretty extensively in a pod a few months back. Andy Laesenz I feel like alludes to it a little bit from time to time.

My sense is that it was something used as a reason why Shelvin was playing over Dante, that G trusted Shelvin more. I don't think it was a "G dislikes Dante" thing, though I don't know.

I really don’t think Dante is a bust, I think Dante will be good. He sure is injury prone though.

Trey Burke proved more than Exum

I think Exum is a mirage. The actualization of his potential is never going to happen

Reactions: MVP
My sense is that it was something used as a reason why Shelvin was playing over Dante, that G trusted Shelvin more. I don't think it was a "G dislikes Dante" thing, though I don't know.
Interesting. Is your sense that we werent able to optimize Dantes development due to us trying to keep Gordon happy?

I don’t know if we keep casting aspersions onto Hayward because he’s our scapegoat, but if the narrative is to be believed about Mack and Rubio, then this makes the return on DWill a lot better than our return on Hayward.

Anyway, I can’t help but think that the storyline of Rubio had a fail-safe defense built into it by saying Hayward wanted him. Nobody has ever clarified what that means other than supposedly Hayward said he’d like to play with Rubio. It reminds me a lot of the Burke/Corbin narrative. Who knows.

What's the top thing we criticized Dante for?
His lack of aggression and meaningful penetration.

What does Mitchell excel at?
Penetrating and breaking down the defense.

I don't care who you call the PG or SG, the primary playmaker is/will be Donovan. We don't need Exum to play that role. We need him to play defense and hit 3's. Can Dante be a 3&D player? I have my doubts given his shooting stats over the 2 years he's played. Thus far, he makes Bricky Rubio look like Steph Curry. But it's worth a shot (pun intended).

Anyway, I can’t help but think that the storyline of Rubio had a fail-safe defense built into it by saying Hayward wanted him. Nobody has ever clarified what that means other than supposedly Hayward said he’d like to play with Rubio. It reminds me a lot of the Burke/Corbin narrative. Who knows.
I thought the narrative was primarily one that DL just wanted to show Hayward he was willing to commit to winning, unlike the previous seasons prior to Hayward's walk year. The PG position was in flux, with Utah unable to re-sign Hill and Jazz had the cap space that would disappear on July 1st. So Lindsey acquired the best PG he could. Now granted, Rubio was a pass-first player who would hopefully take some ballhandling/playmaking responsibilities away from Gordon. But did Hayward ever specifically request Rubio?

Bottom line is Rubio would have fit a Hayward-led team, where Utah had a dominant scorer in Gordon and had other shooters in Hood and Johnson, with one big inside. Favors rarely played with Gobert in the games when Derrick was healthy. Jazz are now playing an offensive scheme of: 2 in, 2 out and 1 "ignore him cuz he can't shoot."

I don't care who you call the PG or SG, the primary playmaker is/will be Donovan. We don't need Exum to play that role. We need him to play defense and hit 3's. Can Dante be a 3&D player? I have my doubts given his shooting stats over the 2 years he's played. Thus far, he makes Bricky Rubio look like Steph Curry. But it's worth a shot (pun intended).
you occasionally uncork a decent post.

Bracing for the next hyper-whiney one, doe.

I disagree to some extent. I think the team will be better with multiple guys who can attack and be aggressive. Mitchell can be great off the ball and it will help him have more energy not to have to create every shot all the time. Ideally both guys can play with and without the ball so defenses can't gameplan very easily. I'm not sure what the distribution should be exactly, but where I do agree is that DM has shown that he should have the ball in his hands quite a bit. This offense is best anyway when guys are just reacting and playing fast.

I disagree to some extent. I think the team will be better with multiple guys who can attack and be aggressive. Mitchell can be great off the ball and it will help him have more energy not to have to create every shot all the time. Ideally both guys can play with and without the ball so defenses can't gameplan very easily. I'm not sure what the distribution should be exactly, but where I do agree is that DM has shown that he should have the ball in his hands quite a bit. This offense is best anyway when guys are just reacting and playing fast.
I agree. And Dante has shown flashes. I'm not saying he will always just sit back and play off the ball. Quin's offense is based on screens and we see DM and Ricky both handling the ball quite a bit. But it should take a lot of pressure off Dante if he won't have that huge responsibility of having to create offense. He can pick his spots. We've seen him blow by people on occasion. But just like Rubio, he has to be able to stretch the defense with 3-PT ability if he and the Jazz are to succeed.

Jockstrap .. he tried to be far more aggressive in his second season and didn't get to play through all his dumb mistakes. I think he'll provide plenty of meaningful penetration when he gets back. Dante's strength is NOT a 3&D player, it's going to be learning to use his first step and breaking the paint. I am hopeful that he's going to provide a pleasant surprise over the next 12-18 months

I agree. And Dante has shown flashes. I'm not saying he will always just sit back and play off the ball. Quin's offense is based on screens and we see DM and Ricky both handling the ball quite a bit. But it should take a lot of pressure off Dante if he won't have that huge responsibility of having to create offense. He can pick his spots. We've seen him blow by people on occasion. But just like Rubio, he has to be able to stretch the defense with 3-PT ability if he and the Jazz are to succeed.

Agreed on this. I hope that they push Dante as much as possible at the end of the year to give him chances on the ball. It should pay dividends later on even if he isn't always playing the PG in the future. Last year they were in win at all costs and he wasn't allowed to play through mistakes very often. I think all young players need that kind of freedom to really develop. But yeah I think Dante's offensive fit in the end will come down to whether or not he can effectively space the floor and be a threat as a secondary PnR player. I'm a big Dante fan and want him to succeed, but in the end if he's only a limited decent shooter and good defender I'm not sure I will want him to be a long term starter. I really think the backcourt needs another dynamic playmaker who can be a 3 point threat as well. So I say let Dante try to be that guy (with the nice safety net of DM as you said) and then evaluate from there. If he can't be that guy then it might be better to move on.

Trey Burke proved more than Exum

I think Exum is a mirage. The actualization of his potential is never going to happen
Are you high? Burke played college ball + a ton of NBA experience when he lost his starting spot to Exum, who had no offensive game whatsoever. That change was actually when Utah's big turn around to winning really started, even before Kanter was traded and Rudy took over.

STOP doing drugs. It kills your memory.

Are you high? Burke played college ball + a ton of NBA experience when he lost his starting spot to Exum, who had no offensive game whatsoever. That change was actually when Utah's big turn around to winning really started, even before Kanter was traded and Rudy took over.

STOP doing drugs. It kills your memory.

My memory is fine. The pair of them made Shelvin Mack look like a hall of famer.