What's new

Exum Update

Local Jazz beat reporter (and probably the best of our beat reporters) comes to Jazz Fanz to specifically answer questions of a forum member, effectively giving us a mainline conduit to the team, players, and coaching staff and your first instinct is to trash talk him?

Regardless of whether or not you're joking, you're a moron.
It's great he visits this forum, as did Jody G. But Andy himself admitted he' not tied into the agents and sources that nat'l media are.So really not much of a "conduit" to the team. More of a spigot to dispense info and viewpoints that the organization wants to flow from the FO to the fans. And I offered by two cents on why I think that relationship exists and why the Jazz org gets away with it.
Look, it's no different than politics. The right and left wings present decidedy biased news because to do otherwise would jeopardize their jobs. It is only where independence and competition are allowed where one can expect unbiased and in-depth reporting. I'm sure Larsen, Genessey, Locke and tbe rest are good blokes. I just haven't and don't expect much in terms of rocking the boat.
And that's different than what happens in markets such as LA, No CA, N.Y., Boston, etc.

Additionally, there is an actual law that says you don't have to tall anyone about your medical condition if you don't want to. If someone finds out and reports it anyway, that is illegal.

Additionally, there is an actual law that says you don't have to tall anyone about your medical condition if you don't want to. If someone finds out and reports it anyway, that is illegal.

Pfft laws are for poor people...

That's really not applicable to what we're asking. If it were, sports teams wouldn't have to give injury reports by certain deadlines, for example in tne NFL if players are out, probable, questionable, etc. Sure, we can't ask to see a players MRI or ask the details of his rehab, medications, etc, but there' nothing against teams disclosing other info. Case in point was IT. Cavs provided lots of updates from the time of the trade until his return.

It's great he visits this forum, as did Jody G. But Andy himself admitted he' not tied into the agents and sources that nat'l media are.So really not much of a "conduit" to the team. More of a spigot to dispense info and viewpoints that the organization wants to flow from the FO to the fans. And I offered by two cents on why I think that relationship exists and why the Jazz org gets away with it.
Look, it's no different than politics. The right and left wings present decidedy biased news because to do otherwise would jeopardize their jobs. It is only where independence and competition are allowed where one can expect unbiased and in-depth reporting. I'm sure Larsen, Genessey, Locke and tbe rest are good blokes. I just haven't and don't expect much in terms of rocking the boat.
And that's different than what happens in markets such as LA, No CA, N.Y., Boston, etc.

This reminds me of Superbad and how the skinny kid didn’t want Jonah Hill he got into Dartmouth and was rooming with McLovin’.

HIPPA does not apply to reporters or even the average person. It applies to doctors, nurses, etc. If your doctor tells me about your medical condition and then I share that with the world then your doctor has broken the law but I haven't(******* move but not illegal).

It's great he visits this forum, as did Jody G. But Andy himself admitted he' not tied into the agents and sources that nat'l media are.So really not much of a "conduit" to the team. More of a spigot to dispense info and viewpoints that the organization wants to flow from the FO to the fans.

The franchise has zero oversight of Andy's reporting. It'd be nice if agents took local media more seriously. But local guys often play a different role and do a different kind of reporting than national guys. The division of labor can be a benefit. Andy, not to mention others like Tony Jones, are a more reliable source on the state of the team, what's working and what isn't, tracking trends, etc. National coverage of the Jazz is usually much more shallow, aside from occasional feature reports.

Larsen works for KSL. Tony Jones for the Tribune. Neither of these entities are owned or overseen by the franchise in any way. You've never worked as a journalist, I presume? I have. You don't know what you're talking about.

Also, Strop, you think the franchise wanted Locke to predict Utah would win 40 games this season? He vocally did just that, repeatedly, at the season outset. He's connected to the franchise. He's most often rooting for the home team. But he's been pointed in his criticism of the team this year, pointing out according to his numbers, some more convincing than others, why things haven't been clicking.

And all your criticism in a thread about a player's health, a player who the team said wasn't likely to return this season. Your frustration about lack of coverage overlooks multiple reports that have been published periodically throughout the season.

You must have never read anything Andy writes. He does a column after every game talking about what went right/wrong in the game. And it's not like he avoids being critical.

Are you expecting them to write stupid hit pieces? Or be overly critical to the point of disrespect?

A tool on this site? No way! This whole time I thought everyone on here was wearing leather jackets, driving Harleys, and bonging 750 ml of vodka on a nightly basis. I'm perplexed.

Do you think this is an intelligent answer? Larsen literally said he has relationships with FO and players. Do you? Of course he can give us lots of insight. It's just that breaking trades is more of an agent/FO thing and a couple national guys have that on lockdown. It's not like the beat reporters from bigger markets are always breaking trade news for their teams either so you original point about SLC market is baseless. I've also lived in bigger markets for 10+ years and I think you are really overplaying how much they ask hard questions. Maybe NY is an exception when a team is losing/dysfunctional, but even there it's just a couple guys who are professional provocateurs more often than not. I'm also not sure that when some of them do ask harder questions that it is actually good journalism. It makes headlines and lets people talk about controversy, but doesn't really inform anyone about real things going on. Don't be dumb and think that those guys are somehow better reporters. The best reporters get good info without antagonizing people.