What's new

Favors and Kanter quietly both showing 20/10 potential

Poster: Hey, Alec Burks sucks at xxxxx.

Fish: Hey sometimes this other guy sucks at that too.
Then a dick comes along and doesn't even contribute to anything.
Good job dick.

What I said is true. He said, poor kanter has to make decisions on defense because the wings get beat.

EVERY BIG IN THE LEAGUE HAS TO MAKE DECISIONS ON DEFENSE WHEN A PLAYER ON THE WING GETS BEAT.

do you disagree with that statement?

Favors has come a long way. He's not a go-to player, but he's a decent 2nd or 3rd option on offense. I guess we have a few of those.

A guy I compared Favors to in the past was Brian Grant--a tough, physical, defensive-minded 6'10 PF/C who played hard and filled in on offense when needed. Favors seems to be developing a few signature moves that make him a more complete player.

The Jazz certainly aren't matching anything over 10 million, I can guarantee that.

Just because you are too dense to see the value, doesn't mean you should put that stupidity on our Jazz FO.if he is 20/10, you pay what you've got to. To keep, or to trade. You use that RFA to your advantage.

This happens to every team in the league.

Wings on every single team in the league get beat and bigs have to make that same decision.

Happens to favors, booker, and gobert too

Yes it does happen t every big, but maybe not to the same extent. Alec and Trey are a pretty bad defensive backcourt.

Also, of the players you mentioned, Favors is the only one who makes the right decision consistantly, but even then, he might just foul a 3 pt shooter.

Point is, if our defense is to get better, it really has to start with our gaurds. That is the source.

If Kanter is in the Jazz long term plans it would make sense for them to limit his exposure this year to hopefully lower his value.

If Kanter is in the Jazz long term plans it would make sense for them to limit his exposure this year to hopefully lower his value.

I've been thinkin as well. He has the third best PER by a pretty large margin, but is playing 24 mins a game. Shooting lights out on a team that is struggling FG% wise.

Jazz w/o Kanter's offense, or a decent replacement would be pretty damn ugly, IMHO.

I've been thinkin as well. He has the third best PER by a pretty large margin, but is playing 24 mins a game. Shooting lights out on a team that is struggling FG% wise.

Jazz w/o Kanter's offense, or a decent replacement would be pretty damn ugly, IMHO.
Like Booker?

Honestly I thought the same...but other teams are well-aware of his value...he will get paid like Hayward.

Like Booker?

Booker per 36 is 13.9 Pts s on .534% Fg, 7.1 Reb, 17.2% tov, 7.8 ORb%, 15.3 DRB % 11.6TRB%, 58% from FT!!!, 38% from 3 (pretty good). Booker is also 27 and 6'7"

Kanter per 36 is 19.9 pts on 55% FG, 9.5 reb on 11.3 % ORB (one of the best in league), 20% DRB, 15.7 TRB%, 76% FT, and 31% from 3. Kanter is 6'11" and 22!!!

Kanter's PER is 19.20

A PER of 15 is an average NBA starter.

Booker's PER is 14.46

Booker is not a replacement, he is a very, very clear downgrade.

All stats from Basketball-Reference, except PER's were gathered from ESPN.

Booker per 36 is 13.9 Pts s on .534% Fg, 7.1 Reb, 17.2% tov, 7.8 ORb%, 15.3 DRB % 11.6TRB%, 58% from FT!!!, 38% from 3 (pretty good). Booker is also 27 and 6'7"

Kanter per 36 is 19.9 pts on 55% FG, 9.5 reb on 11.3 % ORB (one of the best in league), 20% DRB, 15.7 TRB%, 76% FT, and 31% from 3. Kanter is 6'11" and 22!!!

Kanter's PER is 19.20

A PER of 15 is an average NBA starter.

Booker's PER is 14.46

All stats from Basketball-Reference, except PER's were gathered from ESPN.
I'm assuming that those are for the entire season. I bet they look drastically worse if it was based on the last two weeks.

I'm assuming that those are for the entire season. I bet they look drastically worse if it was based on the last two weeks.

Yes, whole season.

Kanter would look much improved if this was the past two week split, while Booker would look markedly worse.

Kanter's been playing much better recently, but the stats you use aren't terribly convincing.

PER is absolute garbage. It's just a repackaging of boxscore stats, the accumulation of which require a player to have terminal possession of the ball (in almost all cases). Only one player has terminal possession of the ball, so PER ignores the contributions of 9 players on the court during a change in possession (or 8 for a turnover or when a basket is assisted), and ignores the contributions of all 10 players the rest of the time. Kanter's problems are in team play (mostly when he doesn;t have the ball): Positional defense, help defense, spacing, making quick reads/decisions/passes on offense, etc. These are all incredibly important aspects of basketball, but none of them are captured in the boxscore or, by extension, PER. Booker, on the other hand, has a pretty good feel for the game, and consistently makes good, quick decisions, and executes them well.

TBH, I think some of that may have been happening. The argument for sitting Kanter I guess is his defense, but Booker and Novak aren't an improvement, especially when you consider rebounding.

Still wanting to know what happened to Booker. He played with a ton of fire and was a huge spark off of the bench. Now he seems to be struggling to get a flow. I still really like the guy and all, but dang something happened

So another reason is already in the pocket to tell why Enes performs bad when he does this year.

In my opinion, if a player has a decent base for fundamentals, it shouldn't take that much to get used to a league or a system. The biggest disadvantage this young guy always had is he always competed againt smaller guys and looked better than he already is. But he has a sweet touch for his size and willing to improve. Also the great lowpost moves we all are familiar to. I think Quin is experimenting with him, discovering his limits, so he doesn't get him to low post as much. a position where he can benefit a lot because of his size if Favors moves away from the rim a bit as a mid range threat. This is probably something the coach does to increase his trade value. He will bargain with "hey this guy also shoots threes". And this experiment will widen Kanter's skillset imho.

Kanter started basketball late.didnt get a lot of PT under Corbin.his only coach b4 Quin was Big Al and he learned some sick footwork.Kanter is a sponge and quick learner considering his limited coaching.He will be special but the Jazz due have to try and keep the price down.You Kanter haters better take up some meds or weed or something because the Jazz are going to resign Kanter and he is going to be around for a long while.His defense will improve and the Jazz know it,they are just throwing it out there about his D to try and keep the price down.