What's new

Favors next season?

i'm cracking up at corner 3 fave.

i'm glad we kept him - he's been a great player since we've had him and seems to like it here. definitely open to keeping him next season (though admit its more likely we don't)

Favs seems to have turned a corner with the franchise. I’m not sure Favs or Crowder are cool coming off the bench long term. If we are keeping him it is to play primarily when Rudy is out. If you think he will re-sign do you put him in the bench role now? He and Rudy can play together some but maybe more when Ricky is off the floor... I don’t expect his shooting to continue the way it has.

Just seems like a difficult dance to do for a few months let alone a few more years. Love Favs doe.

I'm gonna say it if no one else will, ya'll tip toeing around the real issue. If Favors cannot shoot consistently from behind the arch by the beginning of the 2018-2019 season, than his skill set is no longer viable in the NBA for any team. He is a dinosaur that is being weeded out by evolution of the game.

So we need to get rid of Gobert as well?

Last edited:

All of Favors 3PA during this run. Pretty basic spacing concept, just a Gobert roll and Favors camped at the 3. He obviously has been told to be ready to shoot as there is no hesitation. I think this could be a decent shot for him if he were to stay.

He is guarded on all of those or at least the other team tries to close him out. So he is helping space things out.

He is guarded on all of those or at least the other team tries to close him out. So he is helping space things out.
They are closing out but not aggresively and it isn't helping spacing because he isn't being guarded or he isn't creating things out of the corner. Only thing that I see that's useful is that Gobert was able to tip some of the misses.

They are closing out but not aggresively and it isn't helping spacing because he isn't being guarded or he isn't creating things out of the corner. Only thing that I see that's useful is that Gobert was able to tip some of the misses.

That is the same way most corner 3 point shooters get guarded. Those are as aggressive of closeouts as you can get. Most guys cheat off of the corner three and then try to get back out to them. Besides it pulls the PF out of the paint making it easier for Gobert to get an offensive rebound.

That is the same way most corner 3 point shooters get guarded. Those are as aggressive of closeouts as you can get. Most guys cheat off of the corner three and then try to get back out to them. Besides it pulls the PF out of the paint making it easier for Gobert to get an offensive rebound.
No, it isn't. Teams don't usually lead simple pick and rolls into the corner on lean on the strong side. Unless it's the Bucks but they aren't run by Kidd anymore.

They are coexisting better than I thought they would. Favs is usually the first or 2nd off for sub and then he comes in 5 mins later for gobert and plays center. His efficiency is holding and decent in both positions. He really has the both of best worlds right now without the huge pressure.

Last edited:
Favs is great. Doubt he’ll stay but it’d be cool to keep him on the team in the starting lineup. No matter who you think to put at the 4 to replace him I always think ‘Favors would shut that guy down’

I think after this season he moves on. We may be able to facilitate a sign and trade for him though... most of his suitors will be capped out... maybe Atlanta Dallas and Phoenix would have interest.

I'm gonna say it if no one else will, ya'll tip toeing around the real issue. If Favors cannot shoot consistently from behind the arch by the beginning of the 2018-2019 season, than his skill set is no longer viable in the NBA for any team. He is a dinosaur that is being weeded out by evolution of the game.
What does this day about rudy? It's a really stupid comment. Because if you think Favors can't shoot and that makes him worthless. .....that's a really bad sign for Gobert, because fave looks like Steph when compared to Gobert as a shooter.

Last edited:
I feel like Favs is still here because the market was not good for him. I'm glad he stayed and I will enjoy his presence as long as we are graced with it.

Part of the decision may depend on Rubio continuing his 3pt shooting. If Ricky, Mitchell and Ingles are all threats, that means Favs can be the mid-range, P&R player. Of course, Rudy has also deferred to Favs a lot when they play together. Will Gobert continue to do that?

Also depends,on free agency. What if Jabari, for example, wants to sign an offer sheet with the Jazz? Or NO has to trade Mirotic after signing Boogie? The tax was at 121m this year and isnt expected to rise very much.

Quin is finally rotating Rudy and Derrick the right way, subbing one of them out midway in tbe 1st and 3rd. Brining Favs back could be possible now that Hood wont be getting a chunk of money.

I think I've been more encouraged than most with how the frontcourt has played the last few weeks. Favs has been really solid offensively and the defense has really gotten its mojo back. It's nice to see that Rudy and Derrick can still coexist together. Certainly no guarantees that Favors will be back but it wouldn't stun me at this point to see him re-sign. Next 30 games will dictate a lot.

What does this day about rudy? It's a really stupid comment. Because if you think Favors can't shoot and that makes him worthless. .....that's a really bad sign for Gobert, because fave looks like Steph when compared to Gobert as a shooter.

It's not a stupid comment, and apparently I have to dumb it down for you because common sense isn't so common anymore. I am not saying that everybody on the starting 5 needs to spread the floor. Rudy is a center who plays defense well and focuses on his inside offensive game. Favors is a Power Forward, which in todays NBA successful lineups requires either your Center or PF to have an outside shot. Favors is neither good from inside or outside offensively, defensively he can't guard the perimeter, which is why I said he is being weeded out. Rudy plays Center and is damn good at what he does. You can't have both big's completely incompetent from executing an outside shot in todays NBA. You do have a brain, try using it.

It's not a stupid comment, and apparently I have to dumb it down for you because common sense isn't so common anymore. I am not saying that everybody on the starting 5 needs to spread the floor. Rudy is a center who plays defense well and focuses on his inside offensive game. Favors is a Power Forward, which in todays NBA successful lineups requires either your Center or PF to have an outside shot. Favors is neither good from inside or outside offensively, defensively he can't guard the perimeter, which is why I said he is being weeded out. Rudy plays Center and is damn good at what he does. You can't have both big's completely incompetent from executing an outside shot in todays NBA. You do have a brain, try using it.
Except favors is not incompetent from outside. Just from 3 pt range. I took you at what you said. Not my fault you made a stupid *** statement.

The difference is pretty obviously that Gobert is an elite defender and rim protector. Favors is a good or even very good defender but not a good rim protector. One can anchor a defensive system and one simply cannot. Rudy is one of the few archetypes that work in the modern game without a 3 point shot. Favors could probably be a modern 5, but he's more of a backup because of his lack of true rim protection ability.

Last edited:
I don't think it would be a good idea to keep Favs unless you can't find another option anywhere. Games like last night just remind me how much we are wasting Gobert by making him play with Rubio and Favors for so many minutes. He would be killing it with more room to work inside and more shooters. I think when he is involved offensively he' can be even more dominant and engaged defensively.

I don't think it would be a good idea to keep Favs unless you can't find another option anywhere. Games like last night just remind me how much we are wasting Gobert by making him play with Rubio and Favors for so many minutes. He would be killing it with more room to work inside and more shooters. I think when he is involved offensively he' can be even more dominant and engaged defensively.
I think we lose our 3rd best player for nothing if we don't re-sign Favors. It's a really bad idea to not even try and sign the 3rd best player on your roster. Gobert is not an offensive powerhouse, giving him more room inside could help but Favors is really consistent from just inside the 3 point shot, stepping one step out isn't that much more space. I think Rubio is still a real hindrance to our offensive potential. I'd rather have Favs than most stretch 4's that are or will be available this off season. Because most stretch 4's can't guard anybody. The Jazz are not beating the Rockets and Warriors by trying to emulate them, Being bigger stronger and more physical is their only shot in the near future and Favors helps that.

Not to mention Favors and Gobert don't play all that many minutes together when the other matchup isn't working. But they are great against lineups like NO and Minn who have 2 good bigs.