What's new

Favors next season?

Not to mention Favors and Gobert don't play all that many minutes together when the other matchup isn't working. But they are great against lineups like NO and Minn who have 2 good bigs.
Towns and?

I think we lose our 3rd best player for nothing if we don't re-sign Favors. It's a really bad idea to not even try and sign the 3rd best player on your roster. Gobert is not an offensive powerhouse, giving him more room inside could help but Favors is really consistent from just inside the 3 point shot, stepping one step out isn't that much more space. I think Rubio is still a real hindrance to our offensive potential. I'd rather have Favs than most stretch 4's that are or will be available this off season. Because most stretch 4's can't guard anybody. The Jazz are not beating the Rockets and Warriors by trying to emulate them, Being bigger stronger and more physical is their only shot in the near future and Favors helps that.

Not to mention Favors and Gobert don't play all that many minutes together when the other matchup isn't working. But they are great against lineups like NO and Minn who have 2 good bigs.
I'm not sure Favs IS the Jazz' 3rd best player. I'd rank Mitchell, Gobert AND Ingles ahead of him.
Favors is a dinosaur unless he admits he's a 5 and not a 4. And as a 5, he's pretty good. Not as effective as he once was, but decent enough. Ideally, he and Gobert would NEVER be in the lineup together. Quin may be starting them together, but you rarely see both down the stretch. I agree there are lineups like Cousins/Davis when you can play both. But those occasions are rare and don't merit paying a player a ton of money for a handful of matchups.

I'm all for re-signing Favors if he comes back as the back-up to Gobert and occasional starter - and at a reasonable salary (MLE range). But the only way to become a contender is to have a PF who can hit outside shots. And by that, I'm not talking about long 2's, which are the least efficient. Jazz need a great 5 inside, surrounded by 3PT shooters. Rudy > Favors so that settles the center argument.

But Utah also needs a PG who can shoot. We've seen how good Utah can be when Rubio, Mitchell and Ingles are all shooting well. And we've seen how they struggle when just one of them is off. If I were DL, I'd look to replace not only Favors, but also bring in a combo guard to start beside Mitchell. That could be Exum, but I'm nit holding my breath. Dante's shooting makes Rubio look like Steph Curry.

Last edited:
I'm not sure Favs IS the Jazz' 3rd best player. I'd rank Mitchell, Gobert AND Ingles ahead of him.
Favors is a dinosaur unless he admits he's a 5 and not a 4. And as a 5, he's pretty good. Not as effective as he once was, but decent enough. Ideally, he and Gobert would NEVER be in the lineup together. Quin may be starting them together, but you rarely see both down the stretch. I agree there are lineups like Cousins/Davis when you can play both. But those occasions are rare and don't merit paying a player a ton of money for a handful of matchups.

I'm all for re-signing Favors if he comes back as the back-up to Gobert and occasional starter - and at a reasonable salary (MLE range). But the only way to become a contender is to have a PF who can hit outside shots. And by that, I'm not talking about long 2's, which are the least efficient. Jazz need a great 5 inside, surrounded by 3PT shooters. Rudy > Favors so that settles the center argument.

But Utah also needs a PG who can shoot. We've seen how good Utah can be when Rubio, Mitchell and Ingles are all shooting well. And we've seen how they struggle when just one of them is off. If I were DL, I'd look to replace not only Favors, but also bring in a combo guard to start beside Mitchell. That could be Exum, but I'm nit holding my breath. Dante's shooting makes Rubio look like Steph Curry.

I love Ingles and could listen to an argument he's more valuable to the Jazz than Favors. But he's better than a backup center in both role and salary. And the Jazz should be aggressive in trying to re-sign him. This team would be a 30 win team this season if they had not had him. With both injuries and his value on both ends of the floor. Losing him for nothing could be a colossal mistake. Having a stretch 4 is the most over rated thing talked about on this board at this time. You are not beating GS by playing their style of ball.

I know that a lot of people disagree, but I love having both Favors and a Gobert in our frontcourt. I think they’re fine on the court together, and they can both play the 5 with Crowder/Thabo as a stretchy 4 next year. I’m hoping that Favors sticks around past this offseason. Wouldn’t mind a short, but solid contract for him. Especially if the market is chilly.

I know that a lot of people disagree, but I love having both Favors and a Gobert in our frontcourt. I think they’re fine on the court together, and they can both play the 5 with Crowder/Thabo as a stretchy 4 next year. I’m hoping that Favors sticks around past this offseason. Wouldn’t mind a short, but solid contract for him. Especially if the market is chilly.
2/24?

I think we lose our 3rd best player for nothing if we don't re-sign Favors. It's a really bad idea to not even try and sign the 3rd best player on your roster. Gobert is not an offensive powerhouse, giving him more room inside could help but Favors is really consistent from just inside the 3 point shot, stepping one step out isn't that much more space. I think Rubio is still a real hindrance to our offensive potential. I'd rather have Favs than most stretch 4's that are or will be available this off season. Because most stretch 4's can't guard anybody. The Jazz are not beating the Rockets and Warriors by trying to emulate them, Being bigger stronger and more physical is their only shot in the near future and Favors helps that.

Lose for nothing? We do not own him, lol, his contract has been legally fulfilled and is now an unrestricted free agent. Trying to resign Favors would be logical if he had an offensive game, like Zach Randolph, but he doesn't. Favors cannot reliably score in the post even against 6'7" PFs guarding him. He doesn't have the footwork, a hook shot, or anything to reliably count on. His mid range jump shot is "ok" at 40%, but just about any NBA player can manage that.

Also just because we get a true stretch 4 doesn't mean we're emulating GS. I guess the whole league is guilty of that fallacy then - fire all the GMs!
The Warriors and Rockets don't have Rudy Gobert at center, that is our ace in the hole. We need to be about 80% as good as them on offense, and with Rudy bolstering our defense it gives us a shot. That is the formula.

Lose for nothing? We do not own him, lol, his contract has been legally fulfilled and is now an unrestricted free agent. Trying to resign Favors would be logical if he had an offensive game, like Zach Randolph, but he doesn't. Favors cannot reliably score in the post even against 6'7" PFs guarding him. He doesn't have the footwork, a hook shot, or anything to reliably count on. His mid range jump shot is "ok" at 40%, but just about any NBA player can manage that.

Also just because we get a true stretch 4 doesn't mean we're emulating GS. I guess the whole league is guilty of that fallacy then - fire all the GMs!
The Warriors and Rockets don't have Rudy Gobert at center, that is our ace in the hole. We need to be about 80% as good as them on offense, and with Rudy bolstering our defense it gives us a shot. That is the formula.

Not really. They’re better than us on d. So we need to be better than just 80% on offense. And right now, I’d put us at about 50%.

Not really. They’re better than us on d. So we need to be better than just 80% on offense. And right now, I’d put us at about 50%.

Not when Gobert plays. We must not be watching the same games. Scoring on the Jazz is very difficult for anyone, particularly if the Jazz limit turnovers and get the half court defense set.
The Jazz have moved up from 13th to 6th on defense since Gobert's return. They are .1 behind GS on defense efficiency right now. By the end of the season they could easily be 1st or 2nd best defense in the league.

Not when Gobert plays. We must not be watching the same games. Scoring on the Jazz is very difficult for anyone, particularly if the Jazz limit turnovers and get the half court defense set.
The Jazz have moved up from 13th to 6th on defense since Gobert's return. They are .1 behind GS on defense efficiency right now. By the end of the season they could easily be 1st or 2nd best defense in the league.

That’s fair, homie.

I think Favs wants to stay -- why else would he be working on his 3-pt shot? If he were leaving to play center for another team, his 3-pt shot wouldn't be important.

I think Favs wants to stay -- why else would he be working on his 3-pt shot? If he were leaving to play center for another team, his 3-pt shot wouldn't be important.
He knows every team likes a big guy who can hit a 3, do it only bumps his value to everyone.

I really like Favors, and think he has been a great jazz man. Reality is he wants, and more than likely will get paid. I think in the 4 yr 60 to 70 range, maybe even more. For the jazz that just doesn't make sense. They need to sign exum, and can probably find a better fit at the 4 for this team at a cheaper price. After next season you have Rubio, Burks, thabo, jerebko, and I think udoh coming off the books. That's when you go for a true 3rd big player to match with gobert, and Mitchell. Maybe even an in season trade next year for a team looking for expiring contracts. Looks set up pretty good for a run after this or next year

Sent from my SM-J727T using JazzFanz mobile app

I love Ingles and could listen to an argument he's more valuable to the Jazz than Favors. But he's better than a backup center in both role and salary. And the Jazz should be aggressive in trying to re-sign him. This team would be a 30 win team this season if they had not had him. With both injuries and his value on both ends of the floor. Losing him for nothing could be a colossal mistake. Having a stretch 4 is the most over rated thing talked about on this board at this time. You are not beating GS by playing their style of ball.

I don't really think he impacts winning very much at all. It's Gobert that is the key. If he's playing and healthy Favs is a nice luxury to have a times, but more redundant than complimentary. I think A Gobert/Stretch/Udoh/Jerebko rotation would be just as good, and maybe better depending on the skills of the stretch. Favors is a good player but I don't think he's really a difference maker that the team needs to be aggressive to retain. If the Jazz get him on a great deal then I'm all for it. If not it's time to put the absolute best fit around Gobert that we can find, imo.

I think we are hitting the nuclear winter this summer. Favs will get offered around 4/36. Jazz may offer a 1-2 year deal around 12-15. It will depend on his priorities this offseason.

I think we want space in 2019 and I'm not sure we compromise that by extending Favs beyond this year.

If he is back I think it's because both of us didn't get what we wanted and are kind of "stuck". I love Favs... happy to be stuck together if that is the case. Maybe we go 4/40-50 and frontload it so it is more tradeable, but trying to trade bigs has been really difficult.

I really like Favors overall. He's been a quiet guy, not complained, embraced the city, been stable sans last season, and all around great guy. He's our most tenured player and our biggest piece from the remains of Deron Williams. Taking the emotion out of it, I'd like to see him find a good landing spot for him that works out basketball wise and financially. People have mentioned him being a great luxury to have as a backup to Gobert are right, but there is certainly some opportunity cost that comes along with that -- Ekpe sits on the bench. Favors plays good positional defense, but the rim protection drop off when Gobert leaves the floor is drastic. With Udoh, you get 48 minutes of rim protection (elite rim protection), and his ability to switch is amazing. He's a guy who can change your defensive philosophy and you can run people hard off the perimeter and force more mid-range Js or heavily contested threes, which you can't really approximate nearly as well with Favors. Favors can shoot from mid-range a bit, but (and I don't have number to back this up) it seems that most all of Favor's outside shots are unguarded. Could be wrong on that.

In a nutshell, we need a stretch four that's a better option than Jerebko and that plus Udoh improves us significantly, despite Favors probably being more talented overall.

I don't really think he impacts winning very much at all. It's Gobert that is the key. If he's playing and healthy Favs is a nice luxury to have a times, but more redundant than complimentary. I think A Gobert/Stretch/Udoh/Jerebko rotation would be just as good, and maybe better depending on the skills of the stretch. Favors is a good player but I don't think he's really a difference maker that the team needs to be aggressive to retain. If the Jazz get him on a great deal then I'm all for it. If not it's time to put the absolute best fit around Gobert that we can find, imo.

Don’t forget it was Derrick Favors that won us a couple of playoff games last year with his ability to make shots.
I’d really like to keep him

Don’t forget it was Derrick Favors that won us a couple of playoff games last year with his ability to make shots.
I’d really like to keep him

I think saying "won us those games" is a pretty big reach. He filled in admirably and even moreso when you consider that he still wan't all the way healthy. But DJ dominated him, and he still only averaged 10 and 7 in that series. Joe Johnson going ham a couple times was what won that series I think. I'm not trying to hate on Favs as I think he played a part in those wins for sure. But if Gobert is healthy the Jazz don't need much from him in that series.