What's new

Favors next season?

I think saying "won us those games" is a pretty big reach. He filled in admirably and even moreso when you consider that he still wan't all the way healthy. But DJ dominated him, and he still only averaged 10 and 7 in that series. Joe Johnson going ham a couple times was what won that series I think. I'm not trying to hate on Favs as I think he played a part in those wins for sure. But if Gobert is healthy the Jazz don't need much from him in that series.

nah if we hadn't had him being able to hit the mid range shot at times instead of Rudy being on the floor we wouldn't have won at least one game.

nah if we hadn't had him being able to hit the mid range shot at times instead of Rudy being on the floor we wouldn't have won at least one game.

That's because Rudy was injured and playing at about 60%. He was moving like he was on ice skates the whole playoffs when he was actually playing. It doesn't matter though. I still think it's time to move on, but we'll see what the Jazz think.

Except favors is not incompetent from outside. Just from 3 pt range. I took you at what you said. Not my fault you made a stupid *** statement.

Favors is shooting a combined 34% from the field when only 16 ft - 20 ft away from the basket for the year, and this year he is actually improved. The only thing more incompetent than Favors shooting is your understanding to the fundamentals of the fundamentals. If I could converse with you using little children's building blocks and shape storage, it would still be over your head. Enjoy your cozy setup in your mothers basement.

If we resign him, it's going to be something like 1 year 20 million. We're all about preserving space for 2019 right now

Id be down to overpay for one year, and he can still sign a big deal after that.

I still think hes out the door. Too bad because hes never looked more comfortable with us as he has these last 20 games.

Id be down to overpay for one year, and he can still sign a big deal after that.

I still think hes out the door. Too bad because hes never looked more comfortable with us as he has these last 20 games.

Agreed.
Contract year syndrome?

Agreed.
Contract year syndrome?
I don’t think so. He didn’t pack it in after he got his last long-term contract.

I think it’s just a natural combination of him being healthy (they looked awesome in 14/15 together), Rudy being healthy, figuring out ways to use them together, figuring out how to stagger them effectively and having Favors take over new roles and responsibilities.

I really like that Quin has him taking 3’s right now. He’s not awesome at it, but I think he’ll get better. With his combination of versatility between 4/5, defensive ability (inside and on the perimeter) and his solid offensive game. . . adding 30% three point shooting to his game makes the Jazz incredibly hard to play against.

I love Ekpe Udoh. He’s a great person and a fantastic value right now. It’s fun watching him play defense. . . but I really, really like the Gobert/Favors combo and hope the Jazz keep Derrick around long term if the market is depressed this offseason.

He's expendable.

If you can get him either on a one year (+team option) or longer deal for less than he's making, then cool. Long term for his current salary or more and I would move on.

He's expendable.

If you can get him either on a one year (+team option) or longer deal for less than he's making, then cool. Long term for his current salary or more and I would move on.

If we can get Exum and Favors for under $20 million a year combined, I believe there can still be max space in 2019 FA.

If we can get Exum and Favors for under $20 million a year combined, I believe there can still be max space in 2019 FA.
And if Rubio can sustain his level of play?

IDK, I just know that beyond Mitchell, Gobert, Ingles (you read that right), Crowder (versatility, fundamentals, intangibles, contract), and Royce (contract, versatility, age/experience/team control), everyone else is kind of expendable in my mind. Hell, those five are a decent starting lineup, and the Jazz would also have nearly two max slots to go hunting after that.

If they strike out on max guys? Meh. Besides that this organization is racking up a hell of a track record unearthing gems everyone else has missed, they'd at least be a major player for the Mirotic/Middleton types (maybe you can land three of them).

Last edited:

If we resign him, it's going to be something like 1 year 20 million. We're all about preserving space for 2019 right now

Tough decision for me. He looks like old Favors lately. I just wish he could catch a damn pass more often.

Rubio-Mitchell-Ingles-Favors-Gobert +16 in 258 minutes.

Rubio-Hood-Ingles-Favors-Gobert -16 in 114 minutes.

And if Rubio can sustain his level of play?

IDK, I just know that beyond Mitchell, Gobert, Ingles (you read that right), and Crowder (considering his versatility and contract, at least), and Royce (same), everyone else is kind of expendable in my mind. Hell, those five are a decent starting lineup with nearly two max contract slots sitting there.

If it were possible to have TWO max spots I would be more inclined to go that route, but I think Jazz can take advantage of a team-friendly market and get great deals on a significant producer in Favors and a significant prospect in Exum. Those contracts could turn into assets just as easily as negative value.

If it were possible to have TWO max spots I would be more inclined to go that route, but I think Jazz can take advantage of a team-friendly market and get great deals on a significant producer in Favors and a significant prospect in Exum. Those contracts could turn into assets just as easily as negative value.
Jazz don't HAVE to spend that cap in free agency. They could still bargain shop and be selective and use that cap to acquire assets in exchange for bad salary (which they could use since they're not going to be stuck in the mid-late 1st round of the draft for the next four years).

If the Jazz can get a good deal, fine. But... I'm skeptical of the upside considering how many other options exist.

I think it's important to remember the following:

-contract years are a thing. Favors has even said it
-the reasons the Jazz Favors relationship might not continue largely still exist (including but certainly not limited to injury history)
-Dante Exum has never played good basketball over a significant stretch of time

Sorry if I'm not sold on dumping $20 million+ into that versus other options.

Jazz don't HAVE to spend that cap in free agency. They could still bargain shop and be selective and use that cap to acquire assets in exchange for bad salary (which they could use since they're not going to be stuck in the mid-late 1st round of the draft for the next four years).

If the Jazz can get a good deal, fine. But... I'm skeptical of the upside considering how many other options exist.

But that's my point. We can reasonably expect the Jazz to get a good deal and it mitigates A LOT of the risk.

I don't understand the thought process of using Favors/Exum's money to take salary dump and prospect(s). Just sign Favors (a baller and won't be bad money) and sign as good of a prospect as you will get in Exum.

Also using that, if we keep everyone, pay Exum $8 mill and Favors $25 Mill and keep our draft pick, we'd be about 5 million under the LT still and have TONS of flexibility
Favors at 25 Million is a gigantic overpay. I don't see why the Jazz would do that. Exum at 8 is an overpay as well if we are paying for his current production, but he's younger and you only pay him that much or more if you are confident gambling on his development. I can't imagine the Jazz getting anywhere close to 25 Million for Favors.