What's new

Game Thread Feb 16, 2022 08:00PM MT: Jazz at Lakers

Added to Calendar: 02-16-22

You mean Lebron at the 5? What's this team's answer?

It doesn't matter, because they have two guys who can't make a wide open jump shot. THT and RWB are two of the most useless players on the court standing behind the arc, they might as well be Centers. Everyone knows this and it's the main reason why the Lakers are a bad team.

Seriously, watch any two plays in a row. Don run's pick and roll, the Lakers trap him and get the ball out of his hands. The Jazz switch it and leave whoever on an island with LeBron James 1v1....essentially giving him any matchup he wants with little help defense until it's too late. Just two possessions in a row and you will see the difference in strategy.

I don’t think Quin is the right coach for this team quite honestly. This ain’t 2015.

Unless the playoffs show otherwise, we can’t run it back again and expect different results.

I love how Andy's not afraid to tell it like it is.

i don't blame Gobert/Mike/Royce since fans should've known the type of players they are by now. Rudy still dealing with an injury too. But coach's refusal to take them out when we clearly have better option/performer off the bench is what cost us the game.

It says a lot when even Tony's willing to admit this was a bad performance.

For context Royce was 4-6 with 10 points, 7 boards, three steals and a block. This loss isn't on his one bonehead turnover at the end, this is on the whole team and coach minus maybe Don. I know Royce is scapegoat around here but he only owns a small portion of the blame.

I completely reject this idea of "LeBron gonna be LeBron" when the Lakers cleanly took Mitchell out of the game with strategy and the Jazz didn't do jack **** to do the same against LeBron when he was playing with a garbage time level crew.

I might be wrong on the westbrook play but on the lebron one i was mentally yelling at gobert to close out on lebron. I knew he was shooting a three and I knew it was going in. I think everyone did. Sure it would allow lebron to get to the paint. But at least then maybe someone can challenge and make him miss. If not, 3 points is more than 2.
If it goes in.

If he drives he either goes to the line or he gets on the rim.

Sometimes you're just in a shituation.

For context Royce was 4-6 with 10 points, 7 boards, three steals and a block. This loss isn't on his one bonehead turnover at the end, this is on the whole team and coach minus maybe Don. I know Royce is scapegoat around here but he only owns a small portion of the blame.
he's alway gonna pass up open shots and lacks aggressiveness when we needed him. at this stage of his career we just have to accept him as the player that he is. But good lord can we just cut his minutes?

He's an energy guy being asked to do too much. We shouldn't have had that much expectation on him to begin with

Also that Royce turnover, where he couldn't get the shot off, didn't drive the ball and just threw it away to Malik Monk was pretty bad. This is what I'm saying with him. In a tight game, that put the Jazz behind the 8-ball.
That was so so bad.

Yeah but to be fair, no one besides Mitchell had it going at all tonight. Like, even decent looks when everyone's playing sub-par aren't decent looks anymore.

I don't know. I really don't know. It just felt like the game was over when the Jazz were still up 10 and the Lakers started getting it going. I don't think it's that the Jazz are soft, per se, it's that they are mentally fragile in the clutch. They just look so overwhelmed against the Lakers on the road specifically when the clutch rolls in.
This could be a scenario where working Butler in to games all season long up to this point could have paid dividends. He seems to have tools on offense.

Guys, subbing in this player or that player isn't going to do jack **** if you're still at a strategic disadvantage. No coach is going to be a wizard and know exactly when a worse player will outperform a better player or vice versa. You play your best guys and if they don't play well it doesn't mean playing the worse player was a more sound choice. That's hindsight 20/20. But it doesn't take a wizard to adjust to a basic trap or do the same to the other team when they only have one player surrounded by scrubs. We get taken out by the most basic of basic strategies and basically ram our head against the wall because Quin can't make his own basic adjustment.

Perfectly timing when House is going to have a better 3 minute stretch than Royce isn't a real strategy. Sending a double at LeBron when he's playing with two horrible shooters and not other scorers is a real strategy that Quin is incapable of employing.....despite the fact that the opposing team completely destroyed his offense by sending simple double teams at Mitchell. Pathetic coaching.

quin's a brilliant coach in most areas but his reluctance to shake up his rotation during games could prove to be his downfall. i mean it's a common sense applied by most coaches. kinda weird that Quin's one of the only coaches doing it.

If it goes in.

If he drives he either goes to the line or he gets on the rim.

Sometimes you're just in a shituation.
This is true. However I was certain the three was going in. And I was certain he would take the three. He didn't want to drive. He wanted to shoot the three.