What's new

Fire Snyder!!!

Really don't understand the coaching process
Quin has maybe 8 asst coaches
Don't they get together daily and discuss team performance
Don't they all give input on how to get better
If JFC can see the obvious flaws and changes that need to be made how come Quin and coaches can't
What are they doing all year round?
It kind of makes me think about a boss that I had. He would get us all together the managers in the building, and we would go over whatever thing we were trying to solve, and he would say " okay everybody I think we need to do XYZ, but I know you all have good ideas I want to hear what everybody thinks how we can approach this". So we would go around everybody giving some ideas, there'd be some good discussion, we'd actually be heading in a good direction, sometimes in fact often not what the boss thought we should be doing. But we had some really great ideas. During all this the boss is kind of staring into space, his brow furrowed, deep in contemplative thought. You just knew he was a guru and he was going to take everything we had said and combine it together into a grand master plan. Then after the discussion, he would say "okay, good discussion, now, here's how we're going to do XYZ." After a while we learned to just start giving him ideas of how to do XYZ, and never really put forth any new ideas, because they were never considered anyway. Pretty sure Quin is like that.

Never doubt the system. The system is sound. The system is love. The system is life. Never question the system.

It kind of makes me think about a boss that I had. He would get us all together the managers in the building, and we would go over whatever thing we were trying to solve, and he would say " okay everybody I think we need to do XYZ, but I know you all have good ideas I want to hear what everybody thinks how we can approach this". So we would go around everybody giving some ideas, there'd be some good discussion, we'd actually be heading in a good direction, sometimes in fact often not what the boss thought we should be doing. But we had some really great ideas. During all this the boss is kind of staring into space, his brow furrowed, deep in contemplative thought. You just knew he was a guru and he was going to take everything we had said and combine it together into a grand master plan. Then after the discussion, he would say "okay, good discussion, now, here's how we're going to do XYZ." After a while we learned to just start giving him ideas of how to do XYZ, and never really put forth any new ideas, because they were never considered anyway. Pretty sure Quin is like that.

Never doubt the system. The system is sound. The system is love. The system is life. Never question the system.

Yep. Schools are the same way.

Really don't understand the coaching process
Quin has maybe 8 asst coaches
Don't they get together daily and discuss team performance
Don't they all give input on how to get better
If JFC can see the obvious flaws and changes that need to be made how come Quin and coaches can't
What are they doing all year round?
“if you listen to the fans, soon you’ll be sitting with them”

Funny to me that this forum thinks they know basketball better than Alex Jensen and Quin Snyder.

Funny to me that this forum thinks they know the capabilities of the end of the roster better than the Jazz coaches, even though the Jazz coaches see them in practice on a daily basis and we only get to see them 4 minutes a week in garbage time.

The Jazz had the most efficient offense the league has ever seen until COVID and injuries struck (thats with Clarkson and Ingles playing poorly!)

The Jazz had to overpay their top 8 pieces and as a result, their last few pieces aren’t very good (an undrafted PG, the 39th pick, the 40th pick, a botched late first round pick, etc.) When one of those pieces doesn’t work out, it’s tough to absorb that blow.

Funny to me that this forum thinks they know basketball better than Alex Jensen and Quin Snyder.

Funny to me that this forum thinks they know the capabilities of the end of the roster better than the Jazz coaches, even though the Jazz coaches see them in practice on a daily basis and we only get to see them 4 minutes a week in garbage time.

The Jazz had the most efficient offense the league has ever seen until COVID and injuries struck (thats with Clarkson and Ingles playing poorly!)

The Jazz had to overpay their top 8 pieces and as a result, their last few pieces aren’t very good (an undrafted PG, the 39th pick, the 40th pick, a botched late first round pick, etc.) When one of those pieces doesn’t work out, it’s tough to absorb that blow.
I’m an expert in my field. A lay person, or even someone with more experience or even training in a similar field, couldn’t do my job. However, when it comes to any one particular decision, I could be wrong compared to a lay person. Despite being an “expert,” I can be wrong about a lot of things. And a lay person could be right. It doesn’t mean they have more experience, training, or knowledge than me. It’s just the way it is.

I would never survive in the NBA and I’d be smoked. I’m not better than anyone. I could, however, beat a number of NBA players in a free throw contest. That doesn’t mean I’m better than them. That doesn’t mean that you could pencil me in on any roster. But them being in the NBA doesn’t mean that they outperform every non-NBA person in all facets of the game.

Oh boy... look coaches mess up all the time... even though they get to go to practice every day. Took an injury for a coach to move Draymond Green ahead of David Lee on the depth chart. Jokic backed up Nurkic for a while. There is more that goes into these playing decisions than just "player X is better than player Y". Coaches are emotionally attached to certain guys and can view their mistakes differently than guys they aren't as attached to. There is also the narrative of "this guy was here first... he needs a chance".

The other thing that makes me laugh is this "they see him in practice everyday". Cool... how much of practice is competitive scrimmaging once the season starts? Its not much. So shoot around and walking through plays and **** is great... there is very little to compare to an actual game.

JB is very talented... he was the best player on the best college team last year... and that team absolutely dominated. He also lead all rookies in pre-season scoring. If he was on the bench just because Mike/JC/Donovan/Joe are all 100% then I get it. To play Forrest over him is just dumb. Forrest is fine... he has a flaw in his game that will lead to him topping out as a 10 minute a night guy. That flaw will make him unplayable in the playoffs. After a slow start JB is now over 40% from three for the year. We have seen the glimpses now... so we will see how smart Quin is. If he doesn't swap the playing time for those guys he doesn't get it.

I’m an expert in my field. A lay person, or even someone with more experience or even training in a similar field, couldn’t do my job. However, when it comes to any one particular decision, I could be wrong compared to a lay person. Despite being an “expert,” I can be wrong about a lot of things. And a lay person could be right. It doesn’t mean they have more experience, training, or knowledge than me. It’s just the way it is.

I would never survive in the NBA and I’d be smoked. I’m not better than anyone. I could, however, beat a number of NBA players in a free throw contest. That doesn’t mean I’m better than them. That doesn’t mean that you could pencil me in on any roster. But them being in the NBA doesn’t mean that they outperform every non-NBA person in all facets of the game.
I like the thought that Quin is somehow studying practice film on JB and Forrest to come up with the right answer. I also like that some here and in Jazz media think it is a given that Forrest is better than JB and that it is black and white. It very well may have just been a coin toss... remember how the FO was split on Bane versus Doke and one person over-ruled everyone else. I like the idea that Quin is also so close to the situation that he absolutely knows the best answer... but that we ignore he might be so close to the situation that he is partial to the guy he has known and worked with longer.

I get that we only get a piece of the puzzle... but guess what assholes... we get to see the most important piece of the puzzle.

Good points.

Sloan started Milt over DWill and the Jazz missed the playoffs that year…

I think a lot of coaches play under the mantra of "the devil you know". They know a certain lineup will likely minimize mistakes and play to that eventuality thinking maximizing the key guys and providing continuity is a low-risk moderate-reward proposition. But it does sometimes mean they aren't maximizing the team.

funny how most of the fans got the Bane pick right.

Rarely the path to the top is a straight way. There's ups and downs, trial and error, growing pains....
It's not feasible to walk the path if things are always set up just to get the best possible outcome for today.
I like QS a lot, but there's good traction on the idea that he seems to have settled about too many things for too many time.
Even with Mitchell and Gobert, this team appears stalled at its peak.
Some degree of change appears ro be needed.

Sent from my SM-G780G using JazzFanz mobile app

It is also just a function of time on the job. Most of us are more flexible and experimental when we start something new. Once we have been at it for a while we settle into what is comfortable.

Quin is the 4th longest tenured head coach in the league. The three ahead of him each have 3 or more NBA championships to support their tenure. He and Mike Malone are the only coaches in their jobs for more than a 4th season without a title.