What's new

Following 2016 potential draftees

Tough call, but I'd go Skal.

Taller, more athletic, more upside. Skal has only been playing bb for 3 years and has a great offensive feel for the game. I bet his defensive prowess grows between now and the draft and he will be compared to AD-lite many, many times.

Interesting. He's certainly taller and more athletic. I'ma say Karl though for now, I think he's got a better go-to move, (that drop-step) and better passing abilities/court vision.

Interesting. He's certainly taller and more athletic. I'ma say Karl though for now, I think he's got a better go-to move, (that drop-step) and better passing abilities/court vision.

I was screaming at Calipari all year to post KAT at the free throw line, feed him, and let him set the offense from there. His vision/passing is way underrated and he can hit that shot 60% of the time. He would be very dangerous from there... especially against the college zone D.

You really think Poythress is going to go that high? You expecting a comeback year?

Ulis at 34 also seems super high for a PG of his stature.

Well, POY is coming back, so yeah.

Ulis is probably going to be considered the best pure PG in college this season. It will get him drafted. His leadership and steady hand will have someone pick him just to have on the team.

Well, POY is coming back, so yeah.

Ulis is probably going to be considered the best pure PG in college this season. It will get him drafted. His leadership and steady hand will have someone pick him just to have on the team.

Im not doubting Ulis can get drafted, but I mean, what is the precedent for 5'9 PG's in the draft? That is his height, right?

Only ones I remember getting drafted recently is Isiah Thomas (60) and Pierre Jackson (42), so to be drafted at 33 means he would have to have a pretty monster. I actually like Ulis as a college player, believe it or not, but I just dont see him going that high.

The fail was referring to you saying it was only your second post when your profile showed 5.
Just humor bro.

Sorry my mistake bro. Wasn't aware. Maybe it was just my second post in forever so I'd forgotten. Good humor though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yet you've posted Skal or Bender will go 1st. So you've got Simmons 3rd, and you think having him 5th is fail?? You'll fit in around here just fine...

Whats your beef with Brandon Ingram and Jamal Murray?? Enlighten us as to why Ben Simmons, and his ~60% FT shooting, is an obviously better NBA prospect??

I don't have a beef with Ingram, nor Murray. Actually I like your mock. I also like that it's different. My reason behind Bender or Skql potentially going first(it wouldn't be my preference) is that I think there could be a few teams in the hunt for a center. If lakers landed the first pick, I highly doubt they'd pass on one again after passing on Okafor. However, I think Philli would no doubt give one of those guys a miss. No doubt they could play PF or even a bit of SF in Bender's case, but I just don't see them going for another near 7'0. In that case, BS and BI will very much be in the mix.

I think Ingram and Simmons both have the ability to be top tier all stars in the league. I just like Ben more at the moment. Could change though I suppose. As for Ben's free throw shooting, while he did shoot near 60% last season, the previous season he shot near 80%. I'm sure he can improve again. It's kind of like how Ingram needs to improve upon his physique. He's so slim right now, it's hard to know exactly how impactful he could be. I think he has a chance at no.1 though.

For what was considered a dud class, I've been extremely impressed by the top 6 prospects.

I wonder what you see in Diallo, @pgab
I don't buy his stock based on the highlights/mixtapes I've seen.
I see someone whose ceiling is Nerlens Noel. I don't see him adding significant weight on his lean frame to become a Dwight Howard mobility Center. I don't see much upside when it comes to becoming a skilled player.
He's old for a freshman(Older than Devin Booker), he's lived in Mali for his first 16 years(So there's a higher possibility of a Shabazz situation compared to other countries)
I'm sceptical.

I wonder what you see in Diallo, @pgab
I don't buy his stock based on the highlights/mixtapes I've seen.
I see someone whose ceiling is Nerlens Noel. I don't see him adding significant weight on his lean frame to become a Dwight Howard mobility Center. I don't see much upside when it comes to becoming a skilled player.
He's old for a freshman(Older than Devin Booker), he's lived in Mali for his first 16 years(So there's a higher possibility of a Shabazz situation compared to other countries)
I'm sceptical.

Well I've been following Diallo's story for some time, he played HS ball like 10 minutes away from my hometown(NY High Schools haven't been a part of the national rankings for quite some time - Cheick had them safely in the top-10), at a school that plays a schedule of all out of state games.. I think Nerlens Noel is clearly a better prospect, probably just on the strength of his hands defensively.. If Nerlens is his ceiling I certainly think he will go top-10.. That HS(OSNA) produced another Mali native that's going to St. Johns, Kassoum Yakwe, whos a freakishly athletic defensive player, OSNA also has a 3rd player from Mali, who will be replacing Cheick this year, 6'10" Mamadou Doucore, might be a name to keep an eye on(looks pretty athletic/coordinated)

One thing with a player like Diallo is his ability to defend scoring Bigs, long ago Cheick DESTROYED Thon Maker in a HS game, I showed up here and posted the footage right away. It was one of those 'no doubt about it' performances that just really left an impression, Thon couldn't even secure rebounds when Cheick was near him.. I concluded Thon was overrated after watching it - since Thon has re-established his rep, so I've kinda moved Diallo up too.

Cheick couldn't have shown any better during those HS all-star games like the McDonalds game and Jordan brand classic.. I also just think he will look so much better at Kansas than Cliff Alexander last year, he should have no problem building hype..

As for how limited he is.. this is of course the $1,000,000 question, that all the NBA teams will be super concerned about.. Thing is, like I've said before, I don't think he will fall in the same pitfalls and Biyombo and Tyrus Thomas, He has better timing than those players(who both displayed great timing getting blocks - Cheick is more of a natural in other areas though), Cheick shows the ability to handle the ball a bit, he's clearly more advanced than lets say Marcus Lee when he first showed up at UK.

I'm sticking with somewhere between Faried and Clint Capela, I think that comp might stand the test of time.

Lee seems VERY improved (handles, shooting, IQ). Being cautiously optimistic though.

Early prediction;

Lee goes #40

Slightly puzzled by this, Obviously I haven't heard anything new on Lee, since I last asked you If his skill improved.

If that first line is true, whats stopping you from projecting him at the bottom of the 1st round?

I don't have a beef with Ingram, nor Murray. Actually I like your mock. I also like that it's different. My reason behind Bender or Skql potentially going first(it wouldn't be my preference) is that I think there could be a few teams in the hunt for a center. If lakers landed the first pick, I highly doubt they'd pass on one again after passing on Okafor. However, I think Philli would no doubt give one of those guys a miss. No doubt they could play PF or even a bit of SF in Bender's case, but I just don't see them going for another near 7'0. In that case, BS and BI will very much be in the mix.

I think Ingram and Simmons both have the ability to be top tier all stars in the league. I just like Ben more at the moment. Could change though I suppose. As for Ben's free throw shooting, while he did shoot near 60% last season, the previous season he shot near 80%. I'm sure he can improve again. It's kind of like how Ingram needs to improve upon his physique. He's so slim right now, it's hard to know exactly how impactful he could be. I think he has a chance at no.1 though.

For what was considered a dud class, I've been extremely impressed by the top 6 prospects.

fair enough. I did see Ben's increased FT shooting on display last year, that slipped my mind, the big question with him is about his shot though, if that's on point the sky's the limit..

I'm sure folks in this thread probably will find this absurd at this point. I used to post on this forum that Exum was a better prospect than Simmons, and while I'm certainly going to be in the extreme minority on this - I still think that's feasible..

Do you think Ben is a better outside shooter than Lebron though??? Thats the $1.000,000 question. Until proven otherwise, I'm emphatically saying no..

I'm in full agreement on that last line though, this draft is more top-heavy than pundits are giving it credit for.

Slightly puzzled by this, Obviously I haven't heard anything new on Lee, since I last asked you If his skill improved.

If that first line is true, whats stopping you from projecting him at the bottom of the 1st round?

Cautiousness outweighing optimism.

Cautiousness outweighing optimism.

Lee's also going to be 22 by the time next season rolls around, I still think he's got a very strong case for a pick in the late 20's if there's improvement in those areas.

Is there a chance he shoots 50% from the line?

I'm kind of hoping he can block shots at a markedly higher rate, which is no easy task, that'd almost guarantee his 1st round status though..

Lee's certainly a better prospect than the 17th pick in 2008, Sean Williams, from BC. More talented too.

It's difficult for me to really endorse players that shoot 40% ft's though.. at the same time, I don't see how it's wise to think only 3 Kentucky players will be drafted in the 1st round like nbadarft.net...

Lee's also going to be 22 by the time next season rolls around, I still think he's got a very strong case for a pick in the late 20's if there's improvement in those areas.

Is there a chance he shoots 50% from the line?

I'm kind of hoping he can block shots at a markedly higher rate, which is no easy task, that'd almost guarantee his 1st round status though..

Lee's certainly a better prospect than the 17th pick in 2008, Sean Williams, from BC. More talented too.

It's difficult for me to really endorse players that shoot 40% ft's though.. at the same time, I don't see how it's wise to think only 3 Kentucky players will be drafted in the 1st round like nbadarft.net...

I would bet he will average 60% from the line and blocks will be way up. His defense is actually good around the rim. His lateral quickness is excellent. The problem has been his bb IQ (he's still new to bb). He gets lost on the floor on d.

I don't know if you know this, but the kid is so humble that when he was selected by UK him mom didn't even know he had taken up basketball. He comes from a solid, Christian, home that is very tight and charitable within their community. He's just a humble kid. He really only played basketball seriously his senior year of HS.

I would bet he will average 60% from the line and blocks will be way up. His defense is actually good around the rim. His lateral quickness is excellent. The problem has been his bb IQ (he's still new to bb). He gets lost on the floor on d.

I don't know if you know this, but the kid is so humble that when he was selected by UK him mom didn't even know he had taken up basketball. He comes from a solid, Christian, home that is very tight and charitable within their community. He's just a humble kid. He really only played basketball seriously his senior year of HS.

That would be more than enough to get him drafted in the first round IMO.

I know his volleyball background and that he's extremely high character, he's got an easy story to root for. It looks like he's really transformed his body in his time at UK -- if he's going to shoot over 50% from the line the same can be said about his skill level. Hopefully his BBIQ is on that same trajectory too.

With steady improvement like that, he could legitimately be viewed as a(soon-to-be) 22 year old that's still just scratching the surface.. It only takes one team..

That's a crazy story about his mom though. It kind of makes sense when you realize how highly acclaimed a volley ball player he was though, only other story I remember like his(i;m sure there's been many more) is Chase Budinger.

Could he transition to the NFL?

And despite all the money they've spent on that talent, they've still only won one ring.

5 of 6 final fours.

The funny thing is that before Cal won the chip all the national pundits and peer coaches said you simply cannot win by reloading freshman every year. Lack of experience, chemistry, etc. That was the mantra.

Then he wins and the spin goes turns to pfft.. why haven't you won every year.

lol

Truth is winning with freshman was a major feat, regardless. Looking back with the 20/20 stuff is what makes the losers and also-rans poke.