What's new

Following potential 2017 draftees...

He's a pretty good shooter. His defense is suspect. I think he could come in and be a Shabazz Muhammad-type scoring wing off the bench. I'm okay with him at 30, depending on who else is on the board and who we pick earlier.

God, I would hate Bacon at 30. I get wing is the most valuable position and this is a weak wing class, but still. I dont think he fits well in modern NBA. He is one of those "scoring mentality" type players who can't shoot. He has defensive tools, but he isnt known as being a good defender. I dont trust him being able to adjust to a role player role.

I really want Swanigan. No reason he can't be at least as good as Mo Speights.

He is a super interesting offensive player. Would be a (potentially) fantastic fit offensively, but he might be the worst defender in the draft. Can't protect the rim and cant move his feet on the perimeter.

He is a super interesting offensive player. Would be a (potentially) fantastic fit offensively, but he might be the worst defender in the draft. Can't protect the rim and cant move his feet on the perimeter.

I think as a backup you can scheme around that. Could do worse with a 2nd rounder. ****, he's just as good as Kanter.

If you can just get him to get in better shapes, with his wingspan you would think you could get him to be at least average.

Maybe, but if the overall goal is to build a team that can beat the Warriors, Swanigan is probably never getting in the game.

He might get played off the floor in the playoffs, but you can't really draft a second round guy based on one team. I think he can fill some minutes and he does some good things.

I don't see Kanter at all... Swanigan can shoot and pass... defense may be similar but that's about it. It's the combo of shooting passing and post up that intrigue me.

I'm not a huge Jordan Bell fan, but he would be a good pick at 24 just for the sake of matching up with the Warriors. When they run Draymond at center, he would be a good option to have. His rebounding just worries me a bit. Not great there.

He might get played off the floor in the playoffs, but you can't really draft a second round guy based on one team. I think he can fill some minutes and he does some good things.

I don't see Kanter at all... Swanigan can shoot and pass... defense may be similar but that's about it. It's the combo of shooting passing and post up that intrigue me.

IDK, I kind of think you do.

Then we shouldn't make the pick at all... because none of those guys are going to fill the need at #42.

? Completely disagree.

You got guys like Wesley Iwundu, Josh Hart, Cameron Oliver, Sterling Brown, Devin Robinson, Sindarius THornwell, and others projected at 42 and beyond. Those are guys who could potentially be two way players. You need to draft guys who have the potential to get it done on both ends.

? Completely disagree.

You got guys like Wesley Iwundu, Josh Hart, Cameron Oliver, Sterling Brown, Devin Robinson, Sindarius THornwell, and others projected at 42 and beyond. Those are guys who could potentially be two way players. You need to draft guys who have the potential to get it done on both ends.

I would prefer to get good two way players and I like those players, but Thornwell/Robinson/Hart may not be able to do enough on offense and may not defend at an elite level. Oliver/Iwundu are not known as a consistent defenders... of that group the idea of Brown fits best against GS.

My point is I don't make a pick in the 40s thinking this is the guy that will give us 10-15 minutes against GS... I think you take the guy that you feel will be the best player.

Hell who knows... maybe Swanigan is the guy who gives GS enough issues in the post to cause their defense issues... can shoot and pass well enough to hurt them that way.

I just think if you use GS as the measuring stick they all come up short... all have warts at 42. Narrowing in on one matchup is not how I would approach it. If the drafting philosophy is only guys that have good two way potential you may miss on the next Jokic.

Just to clarify, I was not comparing their games. I was just saying Swanigan is as good as he is impact wise.

Just to clarify, I was not comparing their games. I was just saying Swanigan is as good as he is impact wise.

Gotcha... I think he could be better than Kanter on that end because he can pass.

Yeah, that one team is kind of the main thing standing between the Jazz and a chance at a ring.

Bold prediction... whoever we get at #42 does not help us topple GS. Collect assets at that point in the draft regardless if they fit a specific mold that may help against GS. Maybe he shows potential and you are able to move him for something else... maybe the way to beat the juggernaut is not to do what they do, but try to do it better...

If it is just a matter of wanting two way players I do understand that... trying to picture anyone in the second round against the warriors playing at their highest level is not how i'd evaluate them. Many viable players on the Cavs have looked awful in the series... i still think they are useful players.