What's new

Following potential 2017 draftees...

David Locke on his local podcast today said the Jazz wanted to draft and stash Kurucs before he dropped out of the draft. Makes me feel less crazy. Slightly.

Locke seems to think the Jazz would use #24 and #30 to replace Diaw and Mack.

David Locke on his local podcast today said the Jazz wanted to draft and stash Kurucs before he dropped out of the draft. Makes me feel less crazy. Slightly.

DX is the cream of the crop when it comes to international players and Kurucs was ranked #18 on their big board.

You're not crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Does anyone else like Jawun Evans here? It's not too late to jump on the bandwagon! Do it before it's too late.

I would entertain an Evans vs. Hart debate for #42. I think the Jazz are going to debate Lessort vs. Bradley for #30 as the future back-up 5. (I think they also like Pasecniks, but don't expect him to be on the board.)

Kevin Pelton just came out with his rankings this year.

I will gladly tell anyone where a player is ranked and what is said about them.

There is quite a few surprises as usual.

5. Zach Collins

Despite coming off the bench on a deep, experienced Gonzaga team that lost in the national championship game, Collins rated as the best Zag on a per-minute basis.

He's a high-percentage finisher with good touch at the free throw line. The limited need for traditional bigs hurts Collins, but he's skilled enough that he might be able to play both frontcourt spots in the pros.

7. OG Anunoby

A team willing to draft Anunoby despite the torn ACL that prematurely ended his career at Indiana might get a steal. Anunoby is the only prospect in this year's draft projected for better than 2.0 steals per 100 plays and 2.0 blocks per 100 opponent 2-point attempts.

Historically, several wings who met that criteria have outperformed their draft slot. The group features Robert Covington, Danny Granger, Josh Howard and Andre Roberson, but also includes nonentities Renaldo Balkman, Branden Dawson and Chris Singleton.

12. Tony Bradley

Similar to Collins, Bradley played well enough in limited minutes to project as a top prospect. My projections don't specifically consider minutes played, though low-minutes players will have their stats regressed more to positional averages.

Bradley projects as the best offensive rebounder in the draft and the best since Kenneth Faried was drafted in 2011.

15. Monte Morris

The highest-rated player ranked outside Ford's top 30, Morris projects with a winning percentage (.478) near league average (.500, naturally) thanks to his sure-handed play.

His projected turnover rate (10.6 percent of his plays) is third-lowest among players in my database listed as point guards, tied with Malcolm Brogdon of the Milwaukee Bucks.

16. Josh Hart

One of the most productive players in college basketball as a senior, Hart has no statistical weaknesses, and he has strengths in terms of 2-point percentage and shooting.

Hart projects to a 3-and-D role in the NBA, and indeed his second-best comp is Danny Green. (Of course, his best comp is MarShon Brooks. The draft is hard.)

32. Jawun Evans
33. Frank Jackson
37. Bam Adebayo
40. D.J. Wilson
41. Caleb Swanigan
44. Derrick White
60. Jonah Bolden
84. Kyle Kuzma

https://insider.espn.com/nba/inside...ba-draft-statistical-projections-kevin-pelton

John Collins?

John Collins?

11. John Collins

A high-percentage post scorer who projects as one of the most efficient players in the draft, Collins has shown enough accuracy from the free throw line (projected 72 percent as a rookie) to suggest he can be a midrange threat in the pros.

Locke seems to think the Jazz would use #24 and #30 to replace Diaw and Mack.

He didnt say that, he said he thought they might want to.

[Semi is going be a huge bust ifbhebdrafted in round 1. He sucks. He couldn't even see minutes at duke when they were thin in front court. SMU plays nobodies. Also the list your jazz front office dude came up with sucks and makes you question how bad is going screw up This draft. 2 firstbrounders and two bust. The white dude from Cuse will be picked because He is white and he sucks. At the NBA level he going struggle because heis not as great athlete and he is soft. Top that off by the fact Syracuse players struggle to defend. Hopefully he nails the second round because I have a feeling five years from now you guys could be cursing him for this draft
He has Josh Hart as a top 20player. That's so funny

QUOTE=SCS;1431231]Where did he have Ojeleye and what did he say?
[/QUOTE]

Disagree with you completely about Ojeleye. I think he will be one of the biggest steals of this class. He was 2nd among the DX top 100 college prospects in offensive rating (those who played significant minutes anyway). Only player ahead of him was Lauri Markkanen. At 240 pounds he outperformed much smaller players at the combine athletically. Both in straight line speed and in agility. His points per possession are great. He grades as one of the best pick and pop and spot up shooters in the class. He's highly efficient from everywhere- 52.9% from 2, 42.4% from 3, 78.5% from the ft line. He gets to the line a LOT, 8.0 fta per 40 pace adjusted. He doesn't turn the ball over often, 1.4 TOPG. All of his weaknesses (decision making, shot selection, lateral quickness on defense, improving isolation moves) can all be improved on with hard work. And what do you know, he's raved about by scouts for his work ethic.

Disagree with you completely about Ojeleye. I think he will be one of the biggest steals of this class. He was 2nd among the DX top 100 college prospects in offensive rating (those who played significant minutes anyway). Only player ahead of him was Lauri Markkanen. At 240 pounds he outperformed much smaller players at the combine athletically. Both in straight line speed and in agility. His points per possession are great. He grades as one of the best pick and pop and spot up shooters in the class. He's highly efficient from everywhere- 52.9% from 2, 42.4% from 3, 78.5% from the ft line. He gets to the line a LOT, 8.0 fta per 40 pace adjusted. He doesn't turn the ball over often, 1.4 TOPG. All of his weaknesses (decision making, shot selection, lateral quickness on defense, improving isolation moves) can all be improved on with hard work. And what do you know, he's raved about by scouts for his work ethic.[/QUOTE]

AMEN. Rep incoming

We will see. This board is full of Utes fans so the support for him is overrated. He will be drafted in the second-round and he will not shoot it that well from 3 in the league. Write this down so you don't forget.

There's also a good number of BYU pukes who are bitter that BYU never puts out any NBA quality players, and therefore try to discredit legit players from the U.

Actually, that's incorrect. There used to be a good number, but for some reason, those posters have gotten a LOT quieter over the last few years. Wonder why that is?;)

Disagree with you completely about Ojeleye. I think he will be one of the biggest steals of this class. He was 2nd among the DX top 100 college prospects in offensive rating (those who played significant minutes anyway). Only player ahead of him was Lauri Markkanen. At 240 pounds he outperformed much smaller players at the combine athletically. Both in straight line speed and in agility. His points per possession are great. He grades as one of the best pick and pop and spot up shooters in the class. He's highly efficient from everywhere- 52.9% from 2, 42.4% from 3, 78.5% from the ft line. He gets to the line a LOT, 8.0 fta per 40 pace adjusted. He doesn't turn the ball over often, 1.4 TOPG. All of his weaknesses (decision making, shot selection, lateral quickness on defense, improving isolation moves) can all be improved on with hard work. And what do you know, he's raved about by scouts for his work ethic.[/QUOTE]

First of all, the guy you're arguing with is a troll. Otherwise, people sometimes like to talk about what certain prospects can't do. They say things like, "I wish he were an inch taller, or had an inch or two longer wingspan..." instead of looking at what a player CAN do. Ojeleye is a very good athlete and hard worker, who can shoot pretty well and will be able to defend wings unless they are super long or super explosive, in which case they'd be hard for anyone to guard. Ojeleye has trouble rebounding and sometimes has a hard time getting by bigger players. At the same time, his ball skills are pretty rudimentary and he uses his bulk to push past defenders rather than having much shiftiness. That limits him somewhat, but if he can operate in space, which a good NBA team can create for him, he might prove to be an adequate rotation player. The question is what he'll be able to do when he gets chased off the 3-pt. line or has his go-to move taken away by a defender. He might end up as a guy who comes off the bench, but in the right situation he might be able to develop his power game more and be something like a Tobias Harris secondary scorer. Just imo.

I think he gets picked somewhere around 25. I don't know how his workouts have been going.

I'm starting to really like this guy at #55. Former RSCI #14 prospect out of high school. AAU teammate of Ben Simmons. Playing at LSU with no one to pass the ball to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=480paIzex9A&t=131s

Disagree with you completely about Ojeleye. I think he will be one of the biggest steals of this class. He was 2nd among the DX top 100 college prospects in offensive rating (those who played significant minutes anyway). Only player ahead of him was Lauri Markkanen. At 240 pounds he outperformed much smaller players at the combine athletically. Both in straight line speed and in agility. His points per possession are great. He grades as one of the best pick and pop and spot up shooters in the class. He's highly efficient from everywhere- 52.9% from 2, 42.4% from 3, 78.5% from the ft line. He gets to the line a LOT, 8.0 fta per 40 pace adjusted. He doesn't turn the ball over often, 1.4 TOPG. All of his weaknesses (decision making, shot selection, lateral quickness on defense, improving isolation moves) can all be improved on with hard work. And what do you know, he's raved about by scouts for his work ethic.

First of all, the guy you're arguing with is a troll. Otherwise, people sometimes like to talk about what certain prospects can't do. They say things like, "I wish he were an inch taller, or had an inch or two longer wingspan..." instead of looking at what a player CAN do. Ojeleye is a very good athlete and hard worker, who can shoot pretty well and will be able to defend wings unless they are super long or super explosive, in which case they'd be hard for anyone to guard. Ojeleye has trouble rebounding and sometimes has a hard time getting by bigger players. At the same time, his ball skills are pretty rudimentary and he uses his bulk to push past defenders rather than having much shiftiness. That limits him somewhat, but if he can operate in space, which a good NBA team can create for him, he might prove to be an adequate rotation player. The question is what he'll be able to do when he gets chased off the 3-pt. line or has his go-to move taken away by a defender. He might end up as a guy who comes off the bench, but in the right situation he might be able to develop his power game more and be something like a Tobias Harris secondary scorer. Just imo.

I think he gets picked somewhere around 25. I don't know how his workouts have been going.[/QUOTE]

One of the big reason I like Semi so much is because we have the perfect mentor for him in Joe Johnson. The way johnson plays now is what we want Semi to do. Post up smaller defenders and take bigger defender out the 3 point line. If we keep hayward then Semi becomes the 6th man off the bench type of role and that is what he will thrive at.

Kevin Pelton just came out with his rankings this year.

I will gladly tell anyone where a player is ranked and what is said about them.

There is quite a few surprises as usual.

5. Zach Collins

Despite coming off the bench on a deep, experienced Gonzaga team that lost in the national championship game, Collins rated as the best Zag on a per-minute basis.

He's a high-percentage finisher with good touch at the free throw line. The limited need for traditional bigs hurts Collins, but he's skilled enough that he might be able to play both frontcourt spots in the pros.

7. OG Anunoby

A team willing to draft Anunoby despite the torn ACL that prematurely ended his career at Indiana might get a steal. Anunoby is the only prospect in this year's draft projected for better than 2.0 steals per 100 plays and 2.0 blocks per 100 opponent 2-point attempts.

Historically, several wings who met that criteria have outperformed their draft slot. The group features Robert Covington, Danny Granger, Josh Howard and Andre Roberson, but also includes nonentities Renaldo Balkman, Branden Dawson and Chris Singleton.

12. Tony Bradley

Similar to Collins, Bradley played well enough in limited minutes to project as a top prospect. My projections don't specifically consider minutes played, though low-minutes players will have their stats regressed more to positional averages.

Bradley projects as the best offensive rebounder in the draft and the best since Kenneth Faried was drafted in 2011.

15. Monte Morris

The highest-rated player ranked outside Ford's top 30, Morris projects with a winning percentage (.478) near league average (.500, naturally) thanks to his sure-handed play.

His projected turnover rate (10.6 percent of his plays) is third-lowest among players in my database listed as point guards, tied with Malcolm Brogdon of the Milwaukee Bucks.

16. Josh Hart

One of the most productive players in college basketball as a senior, Hart has no statistical weaknesses, and he has strengths in terms of 2-point percentage and shooting.

Hart projects to a 3-and-D role in the NBA, and indeed his second-best comp is Danny Green. (Of course, his best comp is MarShon Brooks. The draft is hard.)

32. Jawun Evans
33. Frank Jackson
37. Bam Adebayo
40. D.J. Wilson
41. Caleb Swanigan
44. Derrick White
60. Jonah Bolden
84. Kyle Kuzma

https://insider.espn.com/nba/inside...ba-draft-statistical-projections-kevin-pelton

-Josh Jackson
-Issac
-Smith
-Mitchell

I'm starting to really like this guy at #55. Former RSCI #14 prospect out of high school. AAU teammate of Ben Simmons. Playing at LSU with no one to pass the ball to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=480paIzex9A&t=131s

I've watched him for years.. dozens of games. He can play.

For our picks I like Semi at 24, Tony Bradley at 30. In the second round I am a Frank Jackson, Sterling Brown and George De Paula fan. But I hope we make a draft day trade to Bledsoe or Rubio which would probably cost one of our first round picks and Rodney Hood.