What's new

Following potential 2017 draftees...

Hell no to giving up Hood and a first round pick for Rubio or Bledsoe. That's a terrible deal for the Jazz. Rather keep Hill over that outcome. Jazz have picks and cap space to burn on a trade. I'd rather keep Hood and see if he can improve his consistency.

Will say that I'm a big fan of Semi and George de Paula. He's a project, but one that has a high upside.

Per Chad Ford on Kennard:

"There's no way he gets to us," one GM in the late lottery said. "I don't think there's any way he's out of the top 10. We think he's the best shooter in the draft. We think he's tough. He's more athletic than you think. He really thinks the game. He's the most underrated guy in this draft."

"He's ranked ahead of Malik Monk on our board," another GM said. "He's not as athletic, but he has a much more versatile game and he's less streaky. Monk will be great. An instant scorer coming off the bench. But we think Kennard could be a full-time starter in the league."

Shooting comes at a premium right now in the NBA, and that partially explains the rise in Kennard's stock. But most teams see the former Blue Devil as more than just a shooter.

Right now it looks like the Pistons at No. 12 are Kennard's floor. But he could go higher. The Knicks, according to a team source, are seriously considering taking him at No. 8. And a Lakers source said he'd be a favorite if the team ends up with a second pick in the top 10.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

-Josh Jackson
-Issac
-Smith
-Mitchell

3. Jonathan Issac

The big question about Isaac, and the one place where he ranks among the bottom 25 percent of NBA-bound combo forwards, is his ability to create his own shot. He used just 20.3 percent of Florida State's plays as a secondary option behind older prospect Dwayne Bacon.

Get past that, and there's a lot to like about Isaac. He has strong steal and block rates, shot an excellent 59.3 percent on 2-pointers and flashed 3-point range (31-of-89, 34.8 percent).

4. Dennis Smith

Smith's production was remarkably similar to Fultz's, and his projected player win percentage as a rookie (the per-minute component of WARP, akin to PER) is actually slightly better. Fultz's stats-only WARP projection is still higher because he's six months younger, he has superior size and teams might be concerned about the ACL tear Smith suffered in high school.

Nonetheless, there's a strong case to be made that Smith will slip too far on draft night.

6. Josh Jackson

Jackson has good steal and block rates and is an excellent playmaker for a wing. So why doesn't he project better? Inefficiency is a major culprit.

He's projected for a .494 true shooting percentage as a rookie (league average last season was .552), and those assists come with extra turnovers for a wing. Additionally, Jackson is older than many sophomores, let alone other freshman prospects.

18. Donovan Mitchell

A couple of factors work against Mitchell's statistical projection.

He was better as a sophomore than as a freshman, and my projections weight earlier years more heavily because they've historically been a better predictor of NBA performance. Additionally, I have Mitchell projected as a pure shooting guard. If he's able to handle minutes at point guard, his stats-only projection would jump into the top 20.

3. Jonathan Issac

The big question about Isaac, and the one place where he ranks among the bottom 25 percent of NBA-bound combo forwards, is his ability to create his own shot. He used just 20.3 percent of Florida State's plays as a secondary option behind older prospect Dwayne Bacon.

Get past that, and there's a lot to like about Isaac. He has strong steal and block rates, shot an excellent 59.3 percent on 2-pointers and flashed 3-point range (31-of-89, 34.8 percent).

4. Dennis Smith

Smith's production was remarkably similar to Fultz's, and his projected player win percentage as a rookie (the per-minute component of WARP, akin to PER) is actually slightly better. Fultz's stats-only WARP projection is still higher because he's six months younger, he has superior size and teams might be concerned about the ACL tear Smith suffered in high school.

Nonetheless, there's a strong case to be made that Smith will slip too far on draft night.

6. Josh Jackson

Jackson has good steal and block rates and is an excellent playmaker for a wing. So why doesn't he project better? Inefficiency is a major culprit.

He's projected for a .494 true shooting percentage as a rookie (league average last season was .552), and those assists come with extra turnovers for a wing. Additionally, Jackson is older than many sophomores, let alone other freshman prospects.

18. Donovan Mitchell

A couple of factors work against Mitchell's statistical projection.

He was better as a sophomore than as a freshman, and my projections weight earlier years more heavily because they've historically been a better predictor of NBA performance. Additionally, I have Mitchell projected as a pure shooting guard. If he's able to handle minutes at point guard, his stats-only projection would jump into the top 20.

Thanks Bruh.

Those are my dawgs and seems pretty high on them too outside of Jackson slightly too low and Mitchell hella so.

Kevin Pelton just came out with his rankings this year.

I will gladly tell anyone where a player is ranked and what is said about them.

There is quite a few surprises as usual.

5. Zach Collins

Despite coming off the bench on a deep, experienced Gonzaga team that lost in the national championship game, Collins rated as the best Zag on a per-minute basis.

He's a high-percentage finisher with good touch at the free throw line. The limited need for traditional bigs hurts Collins, but he's skilled enough that he might be able to play both frontcourt spots in the pros.

7. OG Anunoby

A team willing to draft Anunoby despite the torn ACL that prematurely ended his career at Indiana might get a steal. Anunoby is the only prospect in this year's draft projected for better than 2.0 steals per 100 plays and 2.0 blocks per 100 opponent 2-point attempts.

Historically, several wings who met that criteria have outperformed their draft slot. The group features Robert Covington, Danny Granger, Josh Howard and Andre Roberson, but also includes nonentities Renaldo Balkman, Branden Dawson and Chris Singleton.

12. Tony Bradley

Similar to Collins, Bradley played well enough in limited minutes to project as a top prospect. My projections don't specifically consider minutes played, though low-minutes players will have their stats regressed more to positional averages.

Bradley projects as the best offensive rebounder in the draft and the best since Kenneth Faried was drafted in 2011.

15. Monte Morris

The highest-rated player ranked outside Ford's top 30, Morris projects with a winning percentage (.478) near league average (.500, naturally) thanks to his sure-handed play.

His projected turnover rate (10.6 percent of his plays) is third-lowest among players in my database listed as point guards, tied with Malcolm Brogdon of the Milwaukee Bucks.

16. Josh Hart

One of the most productive players in college basketball as a senior, Hart has no statistical weaknesses, and he has strengths in terms of 2-point percentage and shooting.

Hart projects to a 3-and-D role in the NBA, and indeed his second-best comp is Danny Green. (Of course, his best comp is MarShon Brooks. The draft is hard.)

32. Jawun Evans
33. Frank Jackson
37. Bam Adebayo
40. D.J. Wilson
41. Caleb Swanigan
44. Derrick White
60. Jonah Bolden
84. Kyle Kuzma

https://insider.espn.com/nba/inside...ba-draft-statistical-projections-kevin-pelton

Isaiah Hartenstein
Ivan Rabb
T. J. Leaf

Write up for Frank Jackson?

Isaiah Hartenstein
Ivan Rabb
T. J. Leaf

Write up for Frank Jackson?

23. TJ Leaf

Leaf's projection suffers because his 64.4 percent 2-point shooting gets regressed heavily to the mean. That might be fair, given Leaf had ideal floor spacing around him and Ball setting him up.

Leaf will probably need to be an efficient scorer to succeed in the NBA, because he's a relatively weak defender and rebounder for a 4.

33. Frank Jackson
38. Ivan Rabb

Note: Due to insufficient statistical data, I do not have projections for three top-100 prospects: Nedim Buza (No. 98), Terrance Ferguson (No. 17) and Isaiah Hartenstein (No. 29).

Tyler Lydon comes in at 21.

He is the first player ever to be projected to block more than 2.5 percent of opponents' 2-point attempts and shoot 3s on at least 30 percent of the plays he uses.

23. TJ Leaf

Leaf's projection suffers because his 64.4 percent 2-point shooting gets regressed heavily to the mean. That might be fair, given Leaf had ideal floor spacing around him and Ball setting him up.

Leaf will probably need to be an efficient scorer to succeed in the NBA, because he's a relatively weak defender and rebounder for a 4.

33. Frank Jackson
38. Ivan Rabb

Thank you.

One of the big reason I like Semi so much is because we have the perfect mentor for him in Joe Johnson. The way johnson plays now is what we want Semi to do. Post up smaller defenders and take bigger defender out the 3 point line. If we keep hayward then Semi becomes the 6th man off the bench type of role and that is what he will thrive at.

Watching him it seems like he tends to try to overpower people in the post and doesn't have the craftiness/dribbling ability of a joe johnson. His assist rate is really low as well.

I want to like him because he's athletic, strong, and shot the 3 well, but it seems like his offensive game needs a lot of polish and he's small(6'7 with a 6'10 wingspan, yikes!)

Tyler Lydon comes in at 21.

He is the first player ever to be projected to block more than 2.5 percent of opponents' 2-point attempts and shoot 3s on at least 30 percent of the plays he uses.

He really filled up the stat sheet at Syracuse.

13.2 PPG, 8.6 RPG, 2.1 APG, 1.4 BPG, 1 SPG.

39.2% from 3 on 3.7 attempts a game.

83.6% from the free-throw line on 3.4 attempts a game.

59.7 TS% on 9.4 FGA per game.

Please, for the love of all that's holy, somebody teach ncoloradojazz how to quote posts. You'd think he'd figure it out after the first 200 times he's botched one of the easier moderate-skill-level functions on JazzFanz.

Im fraid lydon will be gone by 24th pick but if not lets do it

Please, for the love of all that's holy, somebody teach ncoloradojazz how to quote posts. You'd think he'd figure it out after the first 200 times he's botched one of the easier moderate-skill-level functions on JazzFanz.

He's doing it on purpose. He's that much of a troll.