What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

Assuming Mitchell continues to pan out and Exum develops enough to be at least an impact combo-guard off the bench (with Rubio as our starter), I think we're looking for a 6'10" / 225 lbs lengthy, two-way PF like Labissiere or essentially a version of Aaron Gordon who can dribble a bit and shoot. This was initially the appeal of DJ Wilson in this 2017 draft, but I don't think Wilson has the mental/physical toughness that it takes. I think Metu does have it, and he's improving rapidly. I think he'll go lottery in 2018 when it's said and done, probably sneaking up to or just above Robert Williams.

The Jazz should also look for a 6'7" versatile, explosive and preternatural wing talent. I really liked Josh Smith in the 2017 draft and think he'll prove to be a full echelon above Tatum. There are a few of these SF/wing prospects in the middle of the first round of 2018 where I think the Jazz will be drafting this next year. The good news about playing in the Western Conference is that you can build a good team and still end up drafting in the lottery (or in range if you can trade up a bit). Whereas, the middling EC teams will have their win total inflated by around 5 games. This is how the Jazz ended up with the 12th pick in 2015, and it's possible the Jazz will be in a similar situation if they win 40 games this year.

Regarding Gordon Hayward, I think he is ideally a facilitator and secondary scoring option. He should neither be the primary ball handler, nor be the primary scoring option. He was born to play between a solid guard (like Damian Lillard) and a dominant scoring big (like Anthony Davis). Any team that has Hayward in a more featured role is going to have a limited ceiling and won't likely make the NBA Finals. Losing out on Hayward at $32M per year is not a bad thing. It enables the Jazz to maintain flexibility and keep looking for younger, better talent.

Remember 2 years ago (2015/16) when many people thought Derrick Favors was our best player and the Jazz with their injuries won 40 games? I think that's about where the Jazz are right now, only this time Rudy Gobert is clearly our best player.

Mitchell and Exum need to prove themselves this year, Exum especially.

Favors will probably be moved or will just walk.

Joe Johnson and/or Joe Ingles might be moved. It could go either way with them.

This can still work, but the young guys need to step into their roles and progress quickly.

This is easy.....

Kurucs

I like Kurucs as a complementary player, especially if we're picking in the late teens or 20s, but I think we're looking for more than that now. I think Kurucs is something like a Dario Saric. The dream scenario is Danillo Gallinari, but I wouldn't bet on that.

The Jazz are going to have length, athleticism and defense across the board. Rudy Gobert has as much gravity on offense as any center in the league, and they'll be able to find shooters. What the Jazz need is a guy they can give the ball to and go get a bucket. Actually, they need two of these guys with Gobert facilitating and other guys like Ingles and Hood spacing the floor as shooters. However, I'm projecting that Donovan Mitchell can be a scoring option from the 2-guard spot because he's shifty, explosive and has a mid-range game developing. Mitchell will learn to play off the other guys. I don't think Kurucs has enough juice to be a main scorer.

It took a few years before Hayward became a guy who could go get a bucket. When he started in the league, he was a spot-up shooter who played off of Al Jefferson. Then he started running pick-and-rolls with Favors with mild success. Then in the past couple of years he started becoming a primary scorer for a playoff-caliber team. Now we need someone to be that spark plug, preferably someone better than Hayward.

I believe he will be on the Barcelona top tier team.

He was on the B team last year.

Nah, he was on the Junior team then he got promoted to the B team towards the end (I believe, could be wrong). I'd be surprised if he was on the main team.

It is hard for me to look at BPA right now instead of looking at the current team needs

PG -

Rubio - 2 years left - Need shooting
Exum - RFA next year but has looked proming - need a little of every thing
Mitchell - A do everything combo guard - need experience
Neto - is a great 3rd guard to have - rfa next summer also

SG -

Hood - will be thrown into a much larger role next year - RFA next year but needs consistency
Burks - Is one of the better iso guys but has struggled with injuries - 2 year team friendly contract - needs to get healthy
Mitchell - see above

SF -

Ingles - Was suppose to help get gordo back but will become much more important for the Jazz. Lets hope he out plays his pay check
Hood - See above

PF -

Favors - seems to be pouting some this summer and will be a UFA next summer. Needs to get helathy
Bolomboy - Needs to gain some BBIQ badley
Diaw - I expect him to be cut to save money or traded

C -

Gobert - the new cornerstone of the franchise. needs to develop a low post move
Bradley - Needs experience strength

So looking at that I would say the 2 position that need the most are the PF and then the SF positions

PF -

Robert Williams is very interesting because of his defense and keeping with the defensive mentality
Wendell Carter i love his IQ as he was recruited by Harvard
Jaren Jackson is an inside out player
CHemezie Metu seems to have all the tools to be good next to gobert

SF -

Miles Bridges plays way above the rim and his shot wasnt awful last year
Rodions Kurucs has grown on me some. His shooting should translate
Isaac Bonga is very interesting
Justin jackson is in the mold of a combo forward
Mikal Bridges has some great measurables
Arnoldas Kulboka is a scoring machine

What the Jazz need is a primary scorer. They need a guy who is 6'7" - 6'10" and can handle, pass and score "at all three levels" (as people now say). If this guy is a top-shelf athlete then so much the better. He could be either a wing or a combo-forward, assuming there's still a difference between these two positions.

The Jazz can readily surround this person with 3/D guys (Ingles & Mitchell), penetrators (Exum & Mitchell), passers (Ingles & Rubio) and an elite interior defender (Rudy).

Metu looks like a lottery pick, draft express has him #18 though in 2018 draft, they don't have this killian tillie guy projected yet

Metu looks like a lottery pick, draft express has him #18 though in 2018 draft, they don't have this killian tillie guy projected yet

Here is why I thought tillie interesting

- He will play at Gonzoga next year
- His older brother played at U of U
- He is french
- He is a 3/4