What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

edit: realized you asked for freshman rankings, not the full top 60. He's not on the top freshman list either, but I don't think I'm looking at an updated list.

Zhaire Smith isn't on his top 60. Note that this isn't their usual mock draft, but "it uses ESPN's BPI to project the draft order, and it's adjusted for NBA team needs accordingly." I did just read about Zhaire on The Stepien though.

https://www.thestepien.com/2018/01/25/zhaire-smith-surprise-freshman-stud/

Here are some things Jazz related/interesting from Givony's article.

They also put Bamba 3rd overall and were tempted to put him at #2. Jaren Jackson is #5, MPJ #6, Young #7.

Daniel Gafford (#17), Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (#19), Melvin Frazier (#29), and Landry Shamet (#30) all went from unranked into the top 30. Chandler Hutchison also had a big leap from #42 to #16. Keita Bates-Diop also a big riser from #56 to #27.

Props. This whole comment about the 2018 HS class being the weakest in years and its possible affect on this draft, I don't buy that just yet, and would advise to not jump to such a conclusion so early.. thats just one of those things, IMO, thats much easier to say NOW than it will be by the time the summer of 2019 rolls around...

Facts of the matter are people usually just pigeonhole the class, over a few players, and they think their qualified to speak on the entire field as a result..

Kevin Knox just annihilated WVU on their homecourt...

Brilliant performance, easily one of the best in college all season, wait til u see these highlights...

This kid is supremely talented.. Jazz would be lucky to pick him.. His floor is Tobias Harris..

I think Mikal is a legit 3/D wing in the mold of a Trevor Ariza or Khris Middleton. I just find myself wanting more off-the-dribble game, more ability to create, and more ball skills in general. Maybe he can develop those things a bit like Kawhi did (though Kawhi is a real outlier in terms of personal development), but if he doesn't then he won't really qualify as the proverbial "third guy" with Mitchell and Gobert. Plus, he'll be 22 at the start of his rookie season. I'm just saying there are some risks there, and there are other guys in the lottery with more upside.

Ideally, the Jazz draft more scoring and athleticism that gives them a mis-match at one of the forward spots. I really think both Knox and Miles Bridges are likely to pan out as solid offensive options in the same draft range. If we already had all the scoring and shot creation we need, then Mikal would be a solid pick outside the top 9 or 10.
I agree with everything you say here.

I agree with everything you say here.

he's an even better athlete than prime ariza who i'm well familiar with and watched his early years with the knicks closely, was my favorite player on the team as a rookie..

he's also way better at everything than Khris Middleton was, other than shooting it from 3 obviously.. and I was a huge fan of Khris Middleton in college just for the record it was quite apparent he was like a steve novak level marksman...

I still say he reminds me of the Matrix himself Shawn Marion.

Knox with some nice moments, getting all the way to the rim for a change.

That three about 3:55 in was cold-blooded, thats a super high pressure make.. His 3pt percentage isn't pretty, he's not Antoine Walker chucking up questionable looks tho.. That 3 (and the 2 3's from Quade) Kept it in striking distance, and boy did they come off the ropes swinging in the 2nd half..

Was truly a glorious victory.

Also u can see in these highlights that oldman Jevon Carter is pretty good..

just watched the UK game. Knox is long and super athletic. still not a huge fan of the 3 point stroke (thought it isn't bad)and i wonder about his ability to create his own offense other than straight line drives. also, rebounding and playmaking. but if he can get to where he's hitting the three near 40%, he could be really good. even where he's at, he'd be an incredibly high upside guy in that 12-17 range.

also, while other than rebounding the **** out of the ball since coming back from injury, he's been pretty underwhelming, Jarred Vanderbilt certainly passes the eye test. very impressive looking athlete. 11 rebounds in 11 minutes tonight. that's not something you see every day. had a great pass to Knox cutting baseline as well.

just watched the UK game. Knox is long and super athletic. still not a huge fan of the 3 point stroke (thought it isn't bad)and i wonder about his ability to create his own offense other than straight line drives. also, rebounding and playmaking. but if he can get to where he's hitting the three near 40%, he could be really good. even where he's at, he'd be an incredibly high upside guy in that 12-17 range.

also, while other than rebounding the **** out of the ball since coming back from injury, he's been pretty underwhelming, Jarred Vanderbilt certainly passes the eye test. very impressive looking athlete. 11 rebounds in 11 minutes tonight. that's not something you see every day. had a great pass to Knox cutting baseline as well.

Knox will be a plus rebounder at the SF position in the NBA, UK has a number of ballhawks which causes a massive trickledown effect on some individuals rebounding #'s and Knox is easily one of the biggest casualties, there's a long list of reasons why; someone like Vanderbilt, he is a demon on the boards he has extreme tools and anticipation to high-points those rebounds initiates the break... Gabriel is everywhere and PJ Washington isn't quite Ben Wallace,Kenneth Faried or Paul Millsap but he's about as damn fine a 6'8" rebounder as you can find he's also got a 7'3 wingspan and quick leaper. And with all these ball-hawks they also have this missle in the open court hamidou diallo, who's also an insane rebounder for a guard... but when he's on the court it's just this downhill race, it's more important for Knox to function as a flanker or trailer/weakside than crash the boards in this scenarios, unless they leave the lane wide open for him to crash.. of this bevy of 6'8" 6'9" forwards Knox's SG skills are by-far the best, they recruited him to fill Malik Monks shoes, he's got scorers instincts and tricks in his bag. even tho Vanderbilts handle and passing are better..

DX having Vanderbilt in the 2nd rd or the 40's id just overall pompous and it's downright absurd, he's a top-20 talent, u can see their stance on all UK kids OVERLY wait and see, which is absurd because if anyones earned the benefit of the doubt its coach cal with 30 NBA active players 4 allstars and more on the way.. I understand also it would b a bad look if they were just smitten with all the kids, i take umbrage with Wenyen Gabriel not being on their top-100 lists, thats also ridiculous.

Vanderbilt is like Al Farouq Aminu mixed with Kyle Kuzma, if he can get that shot down its over with.. He's clutch too I've seen him make truly brilliant plays with a second on the clock, actually posted some of them here years ago, he was the first player in this class that was mentioned on JFC... In some form he's like a poormans Giannis too if we're being honest.

Last edited:
JJJ just had another really sweet, high dexterity, pro-level ball-skills face-up drive from the 3pt line, it resulted in a charge but it was still nice, he maintains a low-dribble... It was also after he threw up a duck on the previous 3.. sometimes his misses look like amateur hour, like the trajectory of the miss, in football they call it throwing a duck..

Keep an eye on Kevin Huerter from Maryland. I actually think if Hood were to get moved, that Huerter could fill in in that sort of role as a late 1st rd pick like Hood, he's like a legit 6'7" too.

I been around here long enough to have warned ya about Sergey Karasev and Nik Stauskas being overrated, this kid Huerter is that sort of skillset but he's got the juice that they lacked.. 1st rd.. He's got what they call "a deft touch"..

Last edited:
Knox will be a plus rebounder at the SF position in the NBA, UK has a number of ballhawks which causes a massive trickledown effect on some individuals rebounding #'s and Knox is easily one of the biggest casualties, there's a long list of reasons why; someone like Vanderbilt, he is a demon on the boards he has extreme tools and anticipation to high-points those rebounds initiates the break... Gabriel is everywhere and PJ Washington isn't quite Ben Wallace,Kenneth Faried or Paul Millsap but he's about as damn fine a 6'8" rebounder as you can find he's also got a 7'3 wingspan and quick leaper. And with all these ball-hawks they also have this missle in the open court hamidou diallo, who's also an insane rebounder for a guard... but when he's on the court it's just this downhill race, it's more important for Knox to function as a flanker or trailer/weakside than crash the boards in this scenarios, unless they leave the lane wide open for him to crash.. of this bevy of 6'8" 6'9" forwards Knox's SG skills are by-far the best, they recruited him to fill Malik Monks shoes, he's got scorers instincts and tricks in his bag. even tho Vanderbilts handle and passing are better..

DX having Vanderbilt in the 2nd rd or the 40's id just overall pompous and it's downright absurd, he's a top-20 talent, u can see their stance on all UK kids OVERLY wait and see, which is absurd because if anyones earned the benefit of the doubt its coach cal with 30 NBA active players 4 allstars and more on the way.. I understand also it would b a bad look if they were just smitten with all the kids, i take umbrage with Wenyen Gabriel not being on their top-100 lists, thats also ridiculous.

Vanderbilt is like Al Farouq Aminu mixed with Kyle Kuzma, if he can get that shot down its over with.. He's clutch too I've seen him make truly brilliant plays with a second on the clock, actually posted some of them here years ago, he was the first player in this class that was mentioned on JFC... In some form he's like a poormans Giannis too if we're being honest.

All that said, he is having an underwhelming season. Negative assist/turnover rate doesn't bode well to being a playmaker in the NBA. He is super young for his class, like Devin Booker was, so could explode in a couple years.

What a gem of a sequence by Mikal Bridges in the final minute of this game, in a 1 possession game...

Great steal on defense followed by a freakishly athletic rebound and then he quickly drops the ball off to an open teammate for a dunk...

Thats some Shawn Marion **** as far as I'm concerned. I'ma keep repeating that comp when he gets brought up btw.

Markus Howard was like a deer in the headlights for a stretch there late, i understand its just an anomalous cold streak. missing that clutch ft one-and-one is highly uncharacteristic tho...

Jalen Brunson won the matchup with ease, maybe DX will give him more respect after that...

Donte DiVicenzo is a player that looks like an obvious NBA player to me that gets relatively no draft hype... Strong defender, he's like Wayne Selden but I think better.

Bigtime East coast matchup about to go off with DePaul and Seton Hall..

if that kid Dakota Mathias is good enough to make DX's mock MAx Strus on DePaul is a draftable too then imo, he's got more upside. Takes 8 3's a game and is strong. Strus is probably better than the aforementioned Donte DiVicenzo (not defensively).

was impressed on Jevon Carter also in that game. Would not complain with him in the second round either

He's really taken his ball-handling to another level, some really clean pro dribble moves on display in the game. He's a heavy favorite to be the oldest player selected..

I watched the first 45 seconds and he didn’t impress me all that much but I will say he does look super young and as if he could grow another few inches and really fill out.

Jalen Green is the type of insanely athletic specimen where u might really have to see it up close and personal to really get a full grasp...

Recently grew from 6'3 to 6'5" too... people say wild **** about him.. old people saying he's the best player they've ever seen in person... things of that nature... it's warranted... He's easily a franchise level talent.. He's considerably more talented than Monta Ellis and he's 2 inches taller..

Last edited: