What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

People seem to be misinterpreting this Parsons report... if the #4 pick is involved it's way more complicated than some simple salary dump. the Jazz aren't players for #4, no way.....

Yeah, I think Memphis wants a win now piece that we don't really have. Like a Kevin Love or Derozan or something. Their GM really wants to win 50 games this season.

People seem to be misinterpreting this Parsons report... if the #4 pick is involved it's way more complicated than some simple salary dump. the Jazz aren't players for #4, no way.....

Based off of how vague that article is, how in the world can you make that assumption? To me, the base of the trade seems clear - Memphis is willing to trade down or out if you take Chandler Parsons.

Unfortunately for Memphis, there aren't many teams who have the space to take on most of Parsons' contract. Dallas ($13 million) and Chicago ($9 million) are the only teams with $7 or more million of space. For Dallas to trade for Parsons right now, they would have to send Wes Matthews ($18 million). He's the only contract they have big enough right now that also expires in 2019. For Chicago, they would have to send Robin Lopez ($14 million that expires in 2019). And the best pick Dallas can send is $32 and the best pick Chicago would send is #22. It makes no sense for Dallas to send #5 or Chicago #7.

Our offer is better than what Dallas or Chicago can send unless Memphis wants to save that extra $4 million, take Robin over Jonas and Burks, and takes #22 instead of #21. I would take our offer. You aren't going to find players as good as Udoh and Jonas for a combined $4 million.

And what's also crazy is the lack of expiring contracts. There just aren't that many big contracts that expire in 2019.

If Memphis is truly looking for a proven player right now for sending #4 and the other team has to take Parsons, you're looking at:

Lowry (do they want to rebuild?)
DeRozen (do they want to rebuild?)
Otto Porter (Washington is still in luxury hell)
Tobias Harris (maybe, and the Clippers could trade up but LA would have Gallinari and Parsons - ugly)
McCollum (Portland is still in luxury hell and have to lose a good player)
Kemba (one year deal and Charlotte would have to attach a bad contract to make it work)
DeAndre Jordan (if he opts in and does he even fit)
Blake Griffen (just traded)
Drummond (doesn't fit Memphis)
Dennis Schroeder (does Memphis want him? Does DS and #19 move the needle for Memphis)

At the end of the day, there aren't that many good players on big contracts who are available. Most big contracts are bad ones that nobody wants. If there was a good player on a big contract who was available, we would have been talking about it already. I think Memphis is doing this to clean house, keep Tyreke and maybe try to add another player through free agency.

Listening to Locke's pod now to see how he feels about prospects. Good to see he still butchers names.

Eli (like Manning) Okobo
Chandler Hutchinson
Rawle Atkins
Luka Donkitch
Zana Musa
Keeta Bates-Jop
Melvin Tucker
Gilguss-Alexander
Ohkuhjee
Omari Spielman
Divensenzo

Last edited:
For the record, I would make the offer: Burks, Bradley, Jonas, Udoh, and #21 for Parsons and #4
Memphis saves $5.5 million for next season and $25 million for 2019/20.

If you sift through teams who could even consider something like this, you'll see that Burks, young Bradley, decent subs Jonas and Udoh for dropping 17 spots in the draft isn't that bad of an offer. $50 million in a contract the next two years is pretty massive money.

Memphis sat Gasol for the entire fourth quarter in a close game against us when he was having a career night. They didn’t do things like that just to dump Parsons.

Regarding Anfernee Simons, I'm trying to think if I've ever seen a prospect with his length, athleticism and scoring instincts fail in the league. I feel like even if he never becomes a defender and he just chucks all the time, he'd still be something close to Jamal Crawford. His talent level really is lottery caliber. If he fails, it will be due to lack of effort.

Regarding Josh Okogie, his length, athleticism and the relentless energy he plays with make it entirely possible, if not likely, that he becomes a better player than Lonnie Walker, who seems to coast quite a bit. Josh's tools combined with his competitiveness, plus the basics of his game already in place, give him really significant upside. This guy has potential to impact every play he's in the game. He just needs to polish up his moves and play more under control. I think he's as good a prospect as Zhaire Smith overall, though they play differently.

I've heard rumors that Okogie has some attitude issues. Idk how true that is.

Troy Brown reportedly had a very good workout with the Clippers going against Zhaire Smith and is in play for one of the Clippers' picks in the lottery.

We might not have the assets to get it done, but I would even add 2019 top 5 protected to get Jaren Jackson or Doncic.

#21, Bradley, 2019 1st and take that terrible Parsons contract.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Interested to hear how the Trevon Duval workout goes, word is he's completely re-worked his shot since szn's end
Duval is interesting. physically, athletically, skills wise (other than shooting), he's top 5 pick material. Combination of size, length and athleticism that you don't see every day from a PG - with legit PG skills. but the shooting is a big deal. at 52, i'd give him a shot.

I think Okobo/Huerter/Brown are the top 3 for the Jazz. I think if both those guys are gone, I think they take Evans or Frazier because they are the top two defenders left.

Or I'm just hoping they are because they are my top 3.

We might not have the assets to get it done, but I would even add 2019 top 5 protected to get Jaren Jackson or Doncic.

#21, Bradley, 2019 1st and take that terrible Parsons contract.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
I would too, but I doubt they would.

I think Okobo/Huerter/Brown are the top 3 for the Jazz. I think if both those guys are gone, I think they take Evans or Frazier because they are the top two defenders left.

Or I'm just hoping they are because they are my top 3.

I think Brown is gone by 18. I think the guys realistically in play at 21 are Okobo, Huerter, KBD, and after the next workout Jerome Robinson. They'll also have some discussion about athletes like Okogie, Frazier and Simons, and whether the upside is worth the effort. Just my opinion.

If the Jazz really want either Okobo or Troy Brown, they'd better put a deal together to move up to 16 or 17.

If they sit at 21, they risk missing out on Huerter and J. Robinson too, imo, but they might be able to get KBD.