What's new

Following Potential Draftees - 2019 (not kidding)

I'm not sure he'll translate well to the pros. He'll need to play more on the perimeter. Right now, he's got good size, strength and post scoring at the NCAA level, but in the NBA he might be just another guy. He'll need to play more off the dribble, hit 3s, attack close-outs and finish around length. Maybe he can do it. Not sure.
I dont think you've watched PJ this year.

PJ has a lot of perimeter talent. His shooting form is pretty great. I really believe in his shooting. He can put the ball on the floor for 3 dribbles in a straight line and get to the rim. He can pass on the move or from the post. I don't really question any of his skill/IQ based abilities and he has great length.

He just isnt a great athlete. He's closer to an average athlete than an above average athlete imo. The question is are how good he is on the perimeter defensively w/ ability to switch and slide his feet.

Last edited:
PJ has splashed 4/5 3's so far in he 1st half. All of them have been closely defended. The shot is pure. I have no doubt it's going to translate.

PJ has a lot of perimeter talent. His shooting form is pretty great. I really believe in his shooting. He can put the ball on the floor for 3 dribbles in a straight line and get to the rim. He can pass on the move or from the post. I don't really question any of his skill/IQ based abilities and he has great length.

He just isnt a great athlete. He's closer to an average athlete than an above average athlete imo. The question is are how good he is on the perimeter defensively w/ ability to switch and slide his feet.

Your definition of perimeter skills might be a bit different than mine. I'm looking for a big wing who can create for himself and others off the dribble consistently, and also shoot off the dribble. In that light, I see PJ Washington as a 4 with limited perimeter skills. I'm also not confident his paint scoring will translate since he'll be going up against more length and athleticism. I'm more confident in Hachimura developing as a shooter than I am PJ Washington developing as an on-ball creator.

I haven't gone in depth in scouting the prospects this year yet. (Outside of the top guys like Zion, Ja, RJ). Who is the offensive shot creator in our range? Who can go get buckets? Or at least shows the mentality/potential to do that?

What's the story on Kevin Porter Jr.? Is he draftable. Picture a talent like this in the backcourt with Mitchell, though he seems to be a bit ball dominant.

He's a talented player but a total punk. Immature and awful body language. Quin would eat him alive.

Needs another year in school, IMO.

Your definition of perimeter skills might be a bit different than mine. I'm looking for a big wing who can create for himself and others off the dribble consistently, and also shoot off the dribble. In that light, I see PJ Washington as a 4 with limited perimeter skills. I'm also not confident his paint scoring will translate since he'll be going up against more length and athleticism. I'm more confident in Hachimura developing as a shooter than I am PJ Washington developing as an on-ball creator.
Ok, those dudes are going to be top 3/5 picks (and the only guy like that in this draft is DeAndre Hunter). Just because he isnt a guy who does dribble combos and do step back pull-ups doesnt equate to not having perimeter skill.

PJ checks a lot more perimeter skills boxes than Rui does.

I haven't gone in depth in scouting the prospects this year yet. (Outside of the top guys like Zion, Ja, RJ). Who is the offensive shot creator in our range? Who can go get buckets? Or at least shows the mentality/potential to do that?

I'm starting to think the kid from Virginia Tech Nickeil Alexander-Walker might be the best scenario for the Jazz in the 18 - 20 range. He could be an ideal complement to Mitchell. He'll probably rise up draft boards during the tournament and draft workouts like SGA did last year. NAW could be a 15-5-7 guy who can play and defend 2 - 3 positions.

If Kezie Okpala measures well and proves to be a plus athlete, he becomes really intriguing.

Cy likes PJ Washington, obviously, and Brandon Clarke at Gonzaga.

If Nassir Little, Coby White or Romeo Langford drop in the draft for some reason, you'd have to give them a hard look.

Unless we can move up to get Hunter somehow (I’ve seen multiple mocks with him in the 12-14 range recently) or that long foreign dude (if the FO likes him), I’d try to trade the pick to some perennial crap team for a 2020 1st or a 2021 1st.

Ok, those dudes are going to be top 3/5 picks (and the only guy like that in this draft is DeAndre Hunter). Just because he isnt a guy who does dribble combos and do step back pull-ups doesnt equate to not having perimeter skill.

PJ checks a lot more perimeter skills boxes than Rui does.

Regarding Rui, he plays with an IQ and effort level that seems to compensate for his average athleticism. He's got some mental toughness and competitive fire that makes me think he's going to succeed in the right system. In other words, he plays hard.

I think PJ is a rotation player for sure. I'm just not sure he'll be elite at anything enough to make an impact. I wonder who he'd replace in our rotation. He played on the ball a fair amount in high school, and he does have some ability to create with the ball from the top of the key, but I'm not sure he can do it against NBA speed and physicality.

I don't see how Hunter doesn't go top 10.

We need a little luck and elite talent. Not fringe talent like Allen. If we could trade our 1st to the Kings or someone like that for an unprotected future 1st, we should do it. Using that and our own 1st in a package could net us a top 5 pick potentially. That could be huge.

Unless we can move up to get Hunter somehow (I’ve seen multiple mocks with him in the 12-14 range recently) or that long foreign dude (if the FO likes him), I’d try to trade the pick to some perennial crap team for a 2020 1st or a 2021 1st.

If I were the Jazz, I'd think about trading Exum, our 1st round pick and take back $10MM in salary to see if I could move up in this draft for an impact wing. The Jazz need a third impact player, they probably need to get him in the draft, and they need to get him soon or he'll miss our time window.

The Jazz need someone who can bump ahead of Rubio, Crowder or Royce in our playoff rotation. That's a high standard.

If I were the Jazz, I'd think about trading Exum, our 1st round pick and take back $10MM in salary to see if I could move up in this draft for an impact wing. The Jazz need a third impact player, they probably need to get him in the draft, and they need to get him soon or he'll miss our time window.

Maybe yeah.

I’d rather trade the 1st for an unprotected 2020 1st and then next summer, trade Exum, our 1st, that 1st, Allen, and if needed, take on some bad salary and possibly use our 2022 1st, to move up for a legit top 3 pick. If possible. Tons of ifs.

Maybe yeah.

I’d rather trade the 1st for an unprotected 2020 1st and then next summer, trade Exum, our 1st, that 1st, Allen, and if needed, take on some bad salary and possibly use our 2022 1st, to move up for a legit top 3 pick. If possible. Tons of ifs.

No one's going to give us a pick like that. It would come with all kinds of protections.

No one's going to give us a pick like that. It would come with all kinds of protections.

I guess. But teams always fall in love with guys. Maybe there’s someone at 20 (Jontay Porter?) who a team loves and they’d consider going unprotected for him. Or just top 3 or 5 protected.

Regarding Rui, he plays with an IQ and effort level that seems to compensate for his average athleticism. He's got some mental toughness and competitive fire that makes me think he's going to succeed in the right system. In other words, he plays hard.

I think PJ is a rotation player for sure. I'm just not sure he'll be elite at anything enough to make an impact. I wonder who he'd replace in our rotation. He played on the ball a fair amount in high school, and he does have some ability to create with the ball from the top of the key, but I'm not sure he can do it against NBA speed and physicality.

I don't see how Hunter doesn't go top 10.
Like I said, Hunter is going top 5 without question. Maybe top 3.