What's new

Following Potential Draftees - 2019 (not kidding)

i like just about everything about culver. he's about as complete a player as there is in the draft, but there is something about his shooting stroke that i kinda hate, and as such, i'm not sure i trust him as a shooter at the next level. at the beginning of the season i questioned myself there because as much as i didn't like his mechanics, they were going in - maybe the eye test was simply wrong. now, his 3pt is all the way down to 34% and it is a valid concern imo. doesn't mean he can't become a very good player, just that i would have reservations if i were drafting top 10 which is where everybody seems to have him at this point.

for a guy who's not the greatest run/jump athlete, he needs to be able shoot the three effectively. similar to romeo langford from that standpoint, imo - langford at this point is a flat out atrocious shooter. there is a lot to like about both, but you are rolling the dice that they can figure out the shooting - because neither has great length or explosive athleticism. they have to be able to shoot it.

Bradley Beal was a 34% 3-pt shooter as a freshman at Fla. Also, not an explosive athlete at 6'4". I'd think Culver has similar potential if he works hard. I'd be more concerned about his FT% though.

Bradley Beal was a 34% 3-pt shooter as a freshman at Fla. Also, not an explosive athlete at 6'4". I'd think Culver has similar potential if he works hard. I'd be more concerned about his FT% though.
The % isn't the issue. the percentage is a symptom of the issue- the issue, if you read my post is his shooting stroke.

Beak wasn't explosive, but he's a stocky and powerful athlete.

Culvers kind of lanky and upright. Physically he resembles Caris Levert, but less athletic.

Starting to think both Kyle Guy and Ty Jerome deserve a shot in the NBA - either late second round or as UFA camp invites. Both are great shooters, Guy has elite ability to get his shot and is fantastic moving without the ball. Jerome a better ballhandler and passer - like a smaller Ingles at 6'5". But they are more than just shooters - they are good basketball players. without question, if they can make a rotation at some point it will be as long range shooters, but they are good enough basketball players that they can get by if they can hit shots. Guy is listed at 6'2", i think he might be closer to 6'4" with decent length.

I don't think you take either one higher than late second, but really, all the Jazz have needed out of Grayson Allen this year is for him to make open shots - both Jerome and Guy can do that and more effectively than Allen and you don't have to waste a first round pick to find out.

More Okpala. I can't quite get a read on how explosive he his, since he plays very intentionally. Picture him with an extra 10 - 15 lbs. and NBA spacing.

My preference would be to sit in the 6th seed, beat Denver in the first round and then challenge OKC in the 2nd round. If we get a 4 or 5 seed, the first-round match up will likely be just as difficult (Houston/Portland), we'll get taken out by the Ws in the 2nd round for the third year in a row, and we'll drop 3 - 5 spots in the draft. There are enough decent wings and forwards in this draft that we could conceivably get a good one in the 17 - 20 range. Whether we want to trade the pick or keep it, we could use some draft capital.

The NBA has submitted to the National Basketball Players Association a formal proposal that will lower the draft-eligible age to 18 from 19, a person with knowledge of the proposal told USA TODAY Sports.

The person requested anonymity because he was not authorized to publicly discuss discussions between the league and the union.

The NBPA and its executive director, Michele Roberts, planned to review the proposal Monday at a post-All-Star weekend meeting in the Bahamas.

The league and union have had informal discussions about lowering the age limit, and NBA commissioner Adam Silver is on record saying the current 19-year-old age limit is not working for the league or college basketball.

This is the first step in formal negotiations to lower the age limit by the 2022 draft. The issue is collectively bargained between the NBA and NBPA, and both sides need to agree to any rule change.

The timing of the proposal is coincidental in relation to Duke star Zion Williamson’s injury, but his injury re-ignited the debate about one-and-done college players who may otherwise enter the draft after high school rather than spending a season in college and bypassing millions of dollars.

At the July NBA owners’ meeting, Silver told reporters: “My personal view is that we’re ready to make that change. … When I’ve weighed the pros and cons, given that Condoleezza Rice and her Commission (On College Basketball) has recommended to the NBA that those one-and-done players now come directly into the league, and in essence the college community is saying we do not want those players anymore. That sort of tips the scale in my mind that we should be taking a serious look at lowering our age to 18.”

Why the 2022 draft? The league wants to give teams ample time to prepare for the change, and with the NBA submitting a proposal to the union now, it's clear it would prefer to reach an agreement, or at least a framework of the deal, in the next few months.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...e-age-limit-proposal-18-years-old/2942228002/

Back on the Bennie Boatwright train (...USC alum here).

He is Crisco soft. But under our S&C program I think he can harden the body, and there aren't many 6'10" guys who can shoot or create their own shot like he can. He is lights out this season on high volume.

Also had a dream last night that we traded up to draft Kyler Murray. Something to think about...

Back on the Bennie Boatwright train (...USC alum here).

He is Crisco soft. But under our S&C program I think he can harden the body, and there aren't many 6'10" guys who can shoot or create their own shot like he can. He is lights out this season on high volume.

Also had a dream last night that we traded up to draft Kyler Murray. Something to think about...
He's not going to be able to guard anyone in the NBA.

What's the story on Kevin Porter Jr.? Is he draftable. Picture a talent like this in the backcourt with Mitchell, though he seems to be a bit ball dominant.

Last edited:
Washington seems to be a good pick in the jazz range

Sent from my SM-N960U using JazzFanz mobile app

I'm not sure he'll translate well to the pros. He'll need to play more on the perimeter. Right now, he's got good size, strength and post scoring at the NCAA level, but in the NBA he might be just another guy. He'll need to play more off the dribble, hit 3s, attack close-outs and finish around length. Maybe he can do it. Not sure.

Nickeil Alexander-Walker looks solid. He's a bit like Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, but is a better shooter. He should be able to play 2 or even 3 positions, either on the ball or off. There's a chance he could get to 19 or 20 in the draft depending on how things shake out.

What's the story on Kevin Porter Jr.? Is he draftable. Picture a talent like this in the backcourt with Mitchell, though he seems to be a bit ball dominant.

Porter blows. He can handle, that's it. He isn't that talented. He just takes step backs. Never drives to the rim.