What's new

Game Thread - 1/2/15 Atlanta at Utah - 7 pm local

Getting beat by our casts offs is a hard pill to swallow. These home losses are like a punch in the stomach. Burke was awful, but so was Kanter and Hayward in the 1st half. Hay is having an all-star year whether he makes it not, but is not a legit #1 player on a top team. Not even close, yet. Favors is too passive. Our offense got swallowed up by the Hawks pressure defense. We need a shooter for ****s sake. Ian is garbage.

Trey Burke is the perfect example of drafting by need.

Hopefully we've learned our lesson.

I agree with you that drafting by need is a bad idea but I remember Burke being the best player on the board at the time. Upon retrospect it was Giannis and Rudy (one of which we got) but everybody was excited that we drafted Burke right after the draft.

It's interesting that the Jazz could have stayed put a couple years ago and put together almost the exact same team as Hawks. It's also interesting that what is a top team in the East would be an 6-8 seed in the West.

Sent from the JazzFanz app

I agree with you that drafting by need is a bad idea but I remember Burke being the best player on the board at the time. Upon retrospect it was Giannis and Rudy (one of which we got) but everybody was excited that we drafted Burke right after the draft.

We are fans, we are clueless bandwagoners. It's what we do.

The guys that get paid hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars to evaluate players have no excuse. DoL is lucky he bought himself a mulligan with Gobert otherwise he would be sweating right now.

The guys that get paid hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars to evaluate players have no excuse. DoL is lucky he bought himself a mulligan with Gobert otherwise he would be sweating right now.

Come on....these guys all miss more than the hit. The talent pool is just not very good. Only a handful of players from every draft play more than three years.

I disagree on the mulligan. I'm gonna start a thread about it.

I really wanted the Jazz to draft Schroeder back in 2013. I liked what I saw and figured he would turn out to be a solid starter. I was excited to get Trey when we drafted him but Schroeder was my man...I doubt the Hawks would give him up

Fair enough. I just hope we draft well this year. I wonder if Lindsey knew anything about Giannis at the time, and if so, if he didn't have the onions to draft him. Truth is, we would have killed Lindsey if he would have drafted Giannis over Burke in 2013. Hopefully we make the right pick this year!

Getting beat by our casts offs is a hard pill to swallow. These home losses are like a punch in the stomach. Burke was awful, but so was Kanter and Hayward in the 1st half. Hay is having an all-star year whether he makes it not, but is not a legit #1 player on a top team. Not even close, yet. Favors is too passive. Our offense got swallowed up by the Hawks pressure defense. We need a shooter for ****s sake. Ian is garbage.
Part of the problem with Hayward is the Jazz have no one to make the defense pay for doubling him. Every time he tried to come around and take the ball, he was doubled and pushed out to mid-court. Hard to play basketball when the team has no SG and no PG.

There were a lot of positives last night. Hawks are the hottest team in the league and the Jazz held them to <100 pts and shut them down in the 4th. Booker showed some nice range (maybe he's the stretch 4 we've been seeking). Exum had a good game and actually took it the hoop 1x! Favors may have struggled offensively, but he and Gobert were monsters in the 4th. Jazz need to plan on a max contract for Rudy; he's going to get offered one. Replace Trey with any other PG in the league and we win this game.

Fair enough. I just hope we draft well this year. I wonder if Lindsey knew anything about Giannis at the time, and if so, if he didn't have the onions to draft him. Truth is, we would have killed Lindsey if he would have drafted Giannis over Burke in 2013. Hopefully we make the right pick this year!
Giannis was such a huge risk. Jazz were not the only team to pass him up. I really don't fault DL for taking Burke. Every draft board had him ranked highly. Jazz needed a PG and the choice was either Trey or MCW. MCW hasn't been any better. Gobert was a steal. And I think DL drafted well with Exum/Hood.

Giannis was such a huge risk. Jazz were not the only team to pass him up. I really don't fault DL for taking Burke. Every draft board had him ranked highly. Jazz needed a PG and the choice was either Trey or MCW. MCW hasn't been any better. Gobert was a steal. And I think DL drafted well with Exum/Hood.

DL had more power within the organization when Exum and Hood were taken.

DL had more power within the organization when Exum and Hood were taken.

This seems to be true--KOC still seemed to be heavily involved. The Jazz drafted for need, which they shouldn't of done, but I do think there was some misguided pressure to pretend like you were improving the team. But it was an awful draft and I think that scrambled everyone's game plan--nobody wanted picks in that draft, I remember. For this exact reason: almost everyone drafted is a "bust", and now the fanbase is pissed about it. I feel like the Jazz made a move for Trey just because it was available and why not? Obviously the warning signs with Trey were there--but I don't think anyone thought his shooting would be this bad.

And in the same draft they turn around and buy Rudy for cash--who would almost certainly go top 5 if it was redone today. We took a small chance and missed with Burke; but knocked it out with Rudy. I don't know how you can call that a "mulligan"--we got one of the best freaking players in the draft at like 28.

W

I do agree that it was a management screwup. It could be blamed on DL, but I know he said that Ty wanted Brick. So, did DL get overruled? Did Ty have more suck? Don't think we will ever know.

Management should have known his limits. I heard the radio guys interview "NBA scout" Dec 2013 about Brick. Scout said he was short, slow, and limited.

All that said, I expect him to become a better shooter over time since that seems to be the common story in the NBA. He better, and he better hurry up or he could be joining Marbury over in China.

Uu
This seems to be true--KOC still seemed to be heavily involved. The Jazz drafted for need, which they shouldn't of done, but I do think there was some misguided pressure to pretend like you were improving the team. But it was an awful draft and I think that scrambled everyone's game plan--nobody wanted picks in that draft, I remember. For this exact reason: almost everyone drafted is a "bust", and now the fanbase is pissed about it. I feel like the Jazz made a move for Trey just because it was available and why not? Obviously the warning signs with Trey were there--but I don't think anyone thought his shooting would be this bad.

And in the same draft they turn around and buy Rudy for cash--who would almost certainly go top 5 if it was redone today. We took a small chance and missed with Burke; but knocked it out with Rudy. I don't know how you can call that a "mulligan"--we got one of the best freaking players in the draft at like 28.

All of this is true, but so is the fact that Gobert and Neto were available at our two later picks. Schroeder and Giannis were both on board at 14 as well. Jazz still could've drafted on potential and innate talent, rather than resume and need. Bad draft or not, the scouting report on Trey was entirely ignored. Would've much rather swung on the long shots like Giannis and Schroeder, especially in a bad draft where everyonewas essentialy wasting heir pick, than go for slow and steady. A very bad decisin that I hope is never repeated.

Wait, we did trade our second round pick in 2014 for a second rounder in a worse draft.

So far I''d say th DL era is 2/3 in each draft.

Didn't we let them ALL go for nothing?

2 all stars (jeff and mill), 2 pretty good players (junk yard and Korver), and 3 vets (Mo, Jefferson, and Williams).

How the hell didn't we get just a 2nd round pick for some of these guys? Sheesh

How was Enes awful in the 1st half? I don't remember him playing a whole lot. I do remember him being the only starter being able to make a shot (was 3/6 at half time). I also remember him rotating on D, then having to run out to the 3 pt line full speed because noone rotated to the perimeter. Are you blaming him for that? That's on our 1-2 gaurds.

I agree 100%.

Didn't we let them ALL go for nothing?

2 all stars (jeff and mill), 2 pretty good players (junk yard and Korver), and 3 vets (Mo, Jefferson, and Williams).

How the hell didn't we get just a 2nd round pick for some of these guys? Sheesh

No.

And, when did Jefferson make the All-Star team? tia