What's new

Game Thread: Utah vs. UCLA, Oct. 3rd (Th), 8pm MT, Fox Sports 1

Not all of those picks are on Wilson. How many were tipped by receivers? 3? 4?

Props to Utah. This game was closer than I expected. They did a good job of corralling that QB for most of the game.

Lol.

First caller into the ute post game show just blasts Byu and says that he hopes Chuckie kicks BYU's butt.

Lol.

Now he's blasting Erickson's play calling.

Gotta love fans.

Oh! Just repeated it again, hopes BYU loses.

Yep. Utes are soooo over the rivalry.

No mention of UCLA. A complaint about the playcalling. And several mentions of BYU.

How typical.

Wilson was by no means brilliant but the receivers really let him down on some of those interceptions. Tough game to lose but it certainly could have been worse.

Lol.

First caller into the ute post game show just blasts Byu and says that he hopes Chuckie kicks BYU's butt.

Lol.

Now he's blasting Erickson's play calling.

Gotta love fans.

Oh! Just repeated it again, hopes BYU loses.

Yep. Utes are soooo over the rivalry.

No mention of UCLA. A complaint about the playcalling. And several mentions of BYU.

How typical.
Says the Zoob who is trolling the Ute game thread.

So can someone that knows (a lot) more about football than me explain to me why every ball that Wilson throws is seemingly impossible to catch? Is he throwing TOO hard? Is there a weird... I don't know... wobble or something? What the **** am I missing?

My thoughts on the game:

1. Damn that stadium got cold in the last quarter or so. And yes, I stayed until the final whistle.
2. 5 of those 6 interceptions were NOT - I repeat NOT - Wilson's fault. 4 of them were tips, 3 of the 4 tipped interceptions were bounced off the hands of the Ute player. And 1 more interception was a blown route by Dres. Sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks.
3. Don't know what happened to Poole. Yorkie came in for a series, and just all of a sudden was decimating UCLA's linebackers. And then... midway through the 3rd, York is out too, and Lucky comes in. I don't get it. Either we had two injured running backs, or DE/BJ wanted to use 3 different types of running game.
4. Our O-Line got dominated. We couldn't hold an edge, so no matter who was running, they couldn't get around it because it collapsed. This was true for the RB's as well as Travis on the read option.
5. Their O-Line dominated. When we were applying decent pressure, their line diverted to the outside and opened up huge holes for Hundley to stroll right down the middle and gain 5-55 yards.
6. Weather was not a factor.
7. The PAC-12 refs sucked the suckiest suck that ever sucked. And yet, I don't think they were a factor in the game.
8. Oh, so close. Thrill's right - another "moral victory". I've had enough of those, thanks.
9. My nose is still cold. Must mean the contents of my flask is finally wearing off.

My thoughts on the game:

1. Damn that stadium got cold in the last quarter or so. And yes, I stayed until the final whistle.
2. 5 of those 6 interceptions were NOT - I repeat NOT - Wilson's fault. 4 of them were tips, 3 of the 4 tipped interceptions were bounced off the hands of the Ute player. And 1 more interception was a blown route by Dres. Sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks.
3. Don't know what happened to Poole. Yorkie came in for a series, and just all of a sudden was decimating UCLA's linebackers. And then... midway through the 3rd, York is out too, and Lucky comes in. I don't get it. Either we had two injured running backs, or DE/BJ wanted to use 3 different types of running game.
4. Our O-Line got dominated. We couldn't hold an edge, so no matter who was running, they couldn't get around it because it collapsed. This was true for the RB's as well as Travis on the read option.
5. Their O-Line dominated. When we were applying decent pressure, their line diverted to the outside and opened up huge holes for Hundley to stroll right down the middle and gain 5-55 yards.
6. Weather was not a factor.
7. The PAC-12 refs sucked the suckiest suck that ever sucked. And yet, I don't think they were a factor in the game.
8. Oh, so close. Thrill's right - another "moral victory". I've had enough of those, thanks.
9. My nose is still cold. Must mean the contents of my flask is finally wearing off.

Pretty good assessment though I didn't think thier o-line dominated....... I remember utah gettin pressure on thier qb quite often.

I thought this game all about turnovers.
I feel utah outplayed them for the most part but all those turnovers doomed them.

Course I drank a 40 and had quite a few shots (including one called a "252", which is bicardi 151 + ice 101) so I might not know what I'm talkin about.

And yes it was cold

I actually think the ref's got most of the calls right, but please correct me if you think I'm wrong. Murphy's foot hit the pylon but landed out of bounds. They got the call right on the onside kick, nice play by Trev. I also think they were correct on the tipped ball/interception which negated the pass interference, even though it was deflating. That illegal block on the run back sucked, but I didn't see the video on it so I'm not 100% sure on that one.

Besides the tipped balls the receivers were dropping quite a few good passes. Blame Wilson all you want, but from what I saw he played really well and got balls for the most part in the right spots. That last interception was bad, but he had to force something with the game on the line and not having many options.

Good game, lots of bad bounces in the favor of UCLA. It sucks to have big plays called back and end up losing a close game. I thought the defense actually played well considering how good Hundley and the UCLA offense is, gave them a chance to win. That pick 6 was a great team defense play, nice to see.

One play Utah needs to work on is the quick snap play after a close play that could be overturned. When the officials conferred and determined that a ball was not tipped and the result was pass interference, the Utes took their time getting to the line and gave UCLA a chance to call timeout and for the play to be reviewed. That's the time to have the "quick snap to Wilson for a run up the middle" play, just to make it so it can't be reviewed.

The game was cold, but not as cold as the walk out of the stadium while sheets of sleet pounded us. At least it had the decency to wait until I was driving home for the blizzard to hit.

One of the highlights was meeting UGLI and FishonJazz last night. Good chatting with you guys and thanks again for the shot, UGLI.

My quick thoughts on the game:

-Utah is slowly turning themselves into a legit PAC 12 team. Last night was a heartbreaker but the Utah squads of 2011 and '12 get BLOWN OUT OF THE WATER by that UCLA team.

-I'm finally starting to feel like our young Defense is turning the corner. Even though it was a loss, I feel much better about this team than I did 2 weeks ago.

-Wilson's throwing motion will hold him back and always be an issue. Maybe all those INTS aren't on him last night but I've never seen a 6'7" QB get so many balls tipped at the LOS.

-this team already has 3 wins and is certainly good enough to beat Colorado and Wazzu. I also think they'll go down to Arizona and win. They may also be good enough to steal a win against ASU at home or USC on the road. 7 wins and a bowl game would be HUGE considering their SOS.

-The OSU and UCLA games are daggers in the heart but I feel this team is going to break through very soon. I can see 8 wins happening next year.

I actually think the ref's got most of the calls right, but please correct me if you think I'm wrong. Murphy's foot hit the pylon but landed out of bounds. They got the call right on the onside kick, nice play by Trev. I also think they were correct on the tipped ball/interception which negated the pass interference, even though it was deflating. That illegal block on the run back sucked, but I didn't see the video on it so I'm not 100% sure on that one.

Besides the tipped balls the receivers were dropping quite a few good passes. Blame Wilson all you want, but from what I saw he played really well and got balls for the most part in the right spots. That last interception was bad, but he had to force something with the game on the line and not having many options.

Good game, lots of bad bounces in the favor of UCLA. It sucks to have big plays called back and end up losing a close game. I thought the defense actually played well considering how good Hundley and the UCLA offense is, gave them a chance to win. That pick 6 was a great team defense play, nice to see.

Does anyone have that last play to Murphy I was at the game and didn't get a good look at it. I've been searching all morning and cant find one.

Fish is here, just talked to YB's brother, where da *** Bronco at??

Sorry. These Thursday games are difficult to get to before kickoff. I tried to sneak out mid afternoon, but to no avail. I'm going to be out of town next week, so I'll miss the Stanford game (boo). I have n#9 marked on the calendar.

As far as the game goes. Ugh... If you had told me before the game that we would only lose by 7, I might have actually been able to see that moral victory that Thriller trolled about. But that game was more than winnable. To throw 6 picks (regardless of whose fault they were...) and still only lose by 7 - no moral victory. We should have won that game. One of the things that irritated me the most was that UCLA was (by my count) 3-0 on 4th down conversions. In the second half, though, the defense stepped up and kept us in range.

My toes were numb by final whistle (like lefty, I stayed til the bitter end) from standing there waiting for the winning drive that never quite materialized. They teased me plenty though. After Wilson's 5th pick, half the stadium got up and left, and yet we weren't out of it until that final interception. The officiating sucked, but it sucked all around.

It was a good game in the sense that we didn't just crumble and let UCLA run wild, but take away just one or two of those interceptions, and we probably win.

I left the stadium disappointed.

For what it's worth, I commit to finding you and shaking your hand before the Stanford game, UGLI. I know it's on me up to this point. Last night I was still sick and probably shouldn't have gone to the game anyways.