What's new

Good Article - "NBA Free Agency 2016: Utah Jazz cap situation and future-proofing"

I think they made a mistake. And sure they're pros, but so is every executive for every other team. That doesn't mean ****. They can be pro's and still make a mistake. You're making this an "us against them" thing. It's not. It's just saying they're not perfect and they screwed up.

I think DL's second guessing of himself at year end was telling and showed he knew that they had messed up.

Tucker has a team option around $5M... could probably be had in trade for a second. I like him.. I like solid bench guys that can do a few things well and play a couple different positions.
Too bad it isn't a player option.

If this sounds bitter, it's because, on this topic, I am.

U act as though the cupboard is bare. How near sided most of u are. We didn't need to make any big signings at all. Had there been less injuries, we'd have made the playoffs and we'd be looked at as farther along then Portland. Our starters continue to improve and our bench looks amaizing right now and without realizing it this team is all of a sudden one of the deepest teams in the league with Neto Mack Burks Lyles and one of Gobert and Favors in the game at all times. Then add the extra depth of a better then solid defender and rim protector in Whithy and Swiss Army knife in Ingles, who is much better then people here give him credit who will be the 4-5th wing in the rotation over the next few years and oh ya... We will be drafting in the lotto this draft. Oh, and Exum most likely turns into an allstar pg while Gobert Hayward Lyles Favors Hood all have allstar potential over the next few years. Before u retort back that Hayward and Favors are done improving. They have yet to stop progressing season to season. So come talk to me when they actually have stopped.

All those minutes Chris Johnson and Joe Ingles got this season will really pay off next year.

Joe Ingles played 15.3 minutes a game. Johnson played 12.2 Those 27.5 minutes were played almost entirely because Burks (and Exum to a lesser degree) went down for the year.

Joe Ingles played 15.3 minutes a game. Johnson played 12.2 Those 27.5 minutes were played almost entirely because Burks (and Exum to a lesser degree) went down for the year.
That's what I have been saying.
The plan was that those two not even touch the court except in garbage time and if hayward, hood, or burks missed a couple games.

U act as though the cupboard is bare. How near sided most of u are. We didn't need to make any big signings at all. Had there been less injuries, we'd have made the playoffs and we'd be looked at as farther along then Portland. Our starters continue to improve and our bench looks amaizing right now and without realizing it this team is all of a sudden one of the deepest teams in the league with Neto Mack Burks Lyles and one of Gobert and Favors in the game at all times. Then add the extra depth of a better then solid defender and rim protector in Whithy and Swiss Army knife in Ingles, who is much better then people here give him credit who will be the 4-5th wing in the rotation over the next few years and oh ya... We will be drafting in the lotto this draft. Oh, and Exum most likely turns into an allstar pg while Gobert Hayward Lyles Favors Hood all have allstar potential over the next few years. Before u retort back that Hayward and Favors are done improving. They have yet to stop progressing season to season. So come talk to me when they actually have stopped.

What are you even say!!!! Do you even no? Please stop act like jazz can't make mistake!!!

Doesn't matter about the injuries. Sign a good or even decent player so it gives you flexibility to move more players to acquire better players. The contracts signed last year would have been easy to move. They should have seen that.
There's really no point repeating this any more. It's already been said dozens of times. The apologists refuse to understand or even consider it.

Every team has injuries every year. Go ahead and plan on perfect health and have 8 NBA players and the rest d leaguers and see what happens. This year it was burks Exum favors and Gobert... Prior year it was Hood and I believe favors missed a little time. The injury excuse was dumb... We had more than our fair share but we're bound to have some.

There's really no point repeating this any more. It's already been said dozens of times. The apologists refuse to understand or even consider it.

I think around here protocol is just to say it again but louder.

A few of the dumbest cakkers are ducking the conversation now. That's progress.

Personally, I think y'all are a little touched in the head with stifle tower syndrome. In other words. I'm not sure why so many fans want to take what is said to the media quite so ****ing literally. What do you guys expect DL to say when asked about the team? We have 4 or 5 guys we'd like to keep and are really hoping we can trade the rest for better players? I'm sorry, but THE CAKE IS A LIE!, and it always has been. It's just one of those things management says to the media to try and appease the fans while at the same time not killing morale among the players.

It really cracks me up that over the last few years, DL matched a contract for Hayward that 90% of fans thought he shouldn't, gave a contract to Burks that a lot of fans questioned, and by all accounts, he and Quin were preparing to match a ridiculous contract for Kanter, but now fans think he was somehow not aware of the financial situation the team would be faced with over the next few years.

Here's a thought: Did anyone ever consider that maybe FAs aren't lining up to come sign in Utah? Some of you guys act like opportunities to improve the team were just jumping in the air trying to land in our boat, and DL has been beating them off with a stick. Well, sorry, but I think you're full of ****.

Just one season ago, Utah had the best Defense in the league, 4th best point differential, and was one of the best teams in the NBA for half a season before injuries kicked our ***. But now it seems, everyone wants to blow it off as a fluke, because apparently most fans only watch players when they are playing offense.

Perhaps management could have been a little more aggressive, but most of the complaints here are just based on jumping to a bunch of conclusions about opportunities that none of know the details of, or whether or not they existed at all.

Personally, I think y'all are a little touched in the head with stifle tower syndrome. In other words. I'm not sure why so many fans want to take what is said to the media quite so ****ing literally. What do you guys expect DL to say when asked about the team? We have 4 or 5 guys we'd like to keep and are really hoping we can trade the rest for better players? I'm sorry, but THE CAKE IS A LIE!, and it always has been. It's just one of those things management says to the media to try and appease the fans while at the same time not killing morale among the players.

It really cracks me up that over the last few years, DL matched a contract for Hayward that 90% of fans thought he shouldn't, gave a contract to Burks that a lot of fans questioned, and by all accounts, he and Quin were preparing to match a ridiculous contract for Kanter, but now fans think he was somehow not aware of the financial situation the team would be faced with over the next few years.

Here's a thought: Did anyone ever consider that maybe FAs aren't lining up to come sign in Utah? Some of you guys act like opportunities to improve the team were just jumping in the air trying to land in our boat, and DL has been beating them off with a stick. Well, sorry, but I think you're full of ****.

Just one season ago, Utah had the best Defense in the league, 4th best point differential, and was one of the best teams in the NBA for half a season before injuries kicked our ***. But now it seems, everyone wants to blow it off as a fluke, because apparently most fans only watch players when they are playing offense.

Perhaps management could have been a little more aggressive, but most of the complaints here are just based on jumping to a bunch of conclusions about opportunities that none of know the details of, or whether or not they existed at all.
Utah has been able to sign free agents and make trades in the past. KOC did both to great effect after Stockton retired and Malone left. Is it possible that the only players who Utah has had any shot at signing or trading for the last 4 years are Mack and Booker? I suppose. It doesn't seem very likely.

Lol, GVC just negged me. Ouch. Anyway, like I said, I think DL could have been more aggressive, and I'm far from a cake baker. However, I think the team was in fantastic shape before Exum got injured, and it just gets a little annoying to listen to people gripe about what a complete failure DL has been. I think it's horse ****, and will continue to call a spade a spade. Carry on.;)

We could have traded for some of the salary dump guys or offered some of the guys like Lin or Casspi twice as much and they would have come here and still would have been bargains. We didn't try to get in those conversations (at least it seems).

I get it we likely won't get top tier guys but don't act like we were some juggernaut. We had a good run to end a season but a handful of those wins came as teams were laying down.

We have some good pieces for sure... But we had opportunities to get more good pieces and punted. Management isn't flawless.

Lol, GVC just negged me. Ouch. Anyway, like I said, I think DL could have been more aggressive, and I'm far from a cake baker. However, I think the team was in fantastic shape before Exum got injured, and it just gets a little annoying to listen to people gripe about what a complete failure DL has been. I think it's horse ****, and will continue to call a spade a spade. Carry on.;)

Also, I didn't have an issue with not getting another pg on the Lin level but then we gave up on Trey Burke at the first sign of issues. Neto was never meant to be the backup this year. If we weren't commited to Trey, which it seems we weren't, why not upgrade with a better backup in the offseason.

Every team has injuries every year. Go ahead and plan on perfect health and have 8 NBA players and the rest d leaguers and see what happens. This year it was burks Exum favors and Gobert... Prior year it was Hood and I believe favors missed a little time. The injury excuse was dumb... We had more than our fair share but we're bound to have some.
The problem with their argument goes beyond the no-injury assumption. Even if the average player misses ~5 games, cutting each player's minutes by 10% would create another 25.5 minutes per game for another player.

An example using the roster from the start of this past season: Assume 77 games are played by each player, so that each position needs 51 minutes per game filled. Here's a rotation that provides appropriate(-ish) minutes for the stars, vets, youth and main depth players:

5 - Gobert(33) Favors(18)
4 - Favors(15) Lyles(18) Booker(18)
3 - Hayward(35) Ingles(12) Hood(4)
2 - Burks(28) Hood(23)
1 - Exum(27) Burke(12) Neto(12)

Totals:
Hayward(35)
Gobert(33)
Favors(33)
Burks(28)
Hood(27)
Exum(27)
Lyles(18)
Booker(18)
Ingles(12)
Burke(12)
Neto(12)

Taking ~10% off each player's minutes and adding a free agent rotation player (with 27 minutes per game) -- bringing the rotation to 12 players:
Hayward(32)
Gobert(30)
Favors(30)
Free Agent(27)
Exum(26)
Burks(24)
Hood(24)
Lyles(16)
Booker(16)
Ingles(10)
Burke(10)
Neto(10)

Beyond this cutting of 10% of existing rotation minutes, you have 46 'depth' minutes going to Neto, Burke, Ingles and Booker. Further, if players are in need of more playing time, other players can be traded for other assets. There was plenty of flexibility to add talent to the roster. If DL and Quin aren't creative enough to make use of additional talent, the Jazz are screwed. The team doesn't have enough talent to contend now or in the future. Operating out of Utah, the team can't let prime opportunities to add talent or other assets go to waste.

We could have traded for some of the salary dump guys or offered some of the guys like Lin or Casspi twice as much and they would have come here and still would have been bargains. We didn't try to get in those conversations (at least it seems).

I get it we likely won't get top tier guys but don't act like we were some juggernaut. We had a good run to end a season but a handful of those wins came as teams were laying down.

We have some good pieces for sure... But we had opportunities to get more good pieces and punted. Management isn't flawless.

We were beating the best teams in the west with a defense that was best in the league by a long shot, but go ahead and downplay it. Like I said, we don't really know what conversations DL has been involved in. Everybody was crying in their beer after the deadline passed because they just knew the Jazz just sat on their hands and didn't try to make any trades. Then we find out that Utah was trying to acquire Teague and backed out because they didn't want to give up Hood, and funny thing is, NOBODY else traded for Teague either, because, low and behold, the Hawks were just seeing if they could rob somebody.

Like I said, I was never a cake baker, and I wanted Utah to trade for Lawson BEFORE Exum even got injured. I just think fans make a lot of assumptions and get a little to impatient with the process. Right now I think DL has done just fine. Now if the team sucks again next year and DL allows a situation where Hayward walks for nothing, I will gladly pick up a pitchfork and march right along with the rest of the malcontents to the tar and feather pole. Until then, I'm giving DL the benefit of the doubt because I believe the competition for players right now is extremely stiff.