What's new

Grayson Allen

This thread is really weird and people are really stretching whatever point they’re making. So let’s talk about the truth:

Grayson Allen is 4th on the PG depth chart and 3rd or lower on the SG depth chart which is to be expected. The issue in drafting him is as much about where he was destined to be on the depth chart early on as much as it was his pedestrian physical ability. The bottom line here, though, is expecting a guy to just come in at totally random spots and be crushing it is irrational.

Yeah, he might be a bust, but that’s usually what you get anyway. It would be nice if he got some opportunities but we’ll see how this all unfolds.

Sincerely,
-A Guy That Absolutely Hated the Pick
I feel like he should be able to crack the crappy pg rotation we have. Maybe beat out neto for 3rd string minutes? He has better size, athleticism, and shot than neto. Played 4 years at a top 3 college ball school for probably the greatest coach of all time. He can't get 3rd string pg spot? Makes it seem like he isn't very good and was a bad pick.

I wish he would get playing time.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I feel like he should be able to crack the crappy pg rotation we have. Maybe beat out neto for 3rd string minutes? He has better size, athleticism, and shot than neto. Played 4 years at a top 3 college ball school for probably the greatest coach of all time. He can't get 3rd string pg spot? Makes it seem like he isn't very good and was a bad pick.

I don't know, NATO is shooting pretty well this season. I'd much rather have NATO than Rubio shooting. I'm starting to think we'd be better with NATO starting and bringing Rubio off the bench.

This thread is really weird and people are really stretching whatever point they’re making. So let’s talk about the truth:

Grayson Allen is 4th on the PG depth chart and 3rd or lower on the SG depth chart which is to be expected. The issue in drafting him is as much about where he was destined to be on the depth chart early on as much as it was his pedestrian physical ability. The bottom line here, though, is expecting a guy to just come in at totally random spots and be crushing it is irrational.

Yeah, he might be a bust, but that’s usually what you get anyway. It would be nice if he got some opportunities but we’ll see how this all unfolds.

Sincerely,
-A Guy That Absolutely Hated the Pick
The problem really isn't on him, but on DL's decision to draft him cuz what we clearly needed at the time was 3pt shooting and length/athleticism at the forward spot, and Allen could give us neither.

Allen might've gotten more opportunities on teams that are either bad or slim on the backcourt. Yes. But why us? We don't have enough playing time for him. We are drafting above his expected position(either late 20's or early 30’s in the second round). Players who fit better with the team were available (Shamet, Robert Williams, etc) I honestly wouldn't be surprise to see him not finishing his rookie contract with us cuz just like Tony Bradley, do you see him ever playing more than 10mpg on this team in conditions other than some extreme circumstances like Ricky, Neto and Exit all out at the same time? I don't. He ain't playing over Mitchell, Royce or Exum. And whoever the new PG we get this summer, Allen ain't playing over him either.

And people need to cut the BS about how Allen is supposed to be one of those who ”don't really matter“. Yeah yeah, let's all pretend that one of the only viable ways for a small market team like us to get better isn't through the draft so we can keep on wasting first round draft picks.

Looking at those pics of him on vacation, he looks very young and certainly not ripped, as if, as athletic as he is, he has solid room to improve his body even more, which could help in multiple ways, including his athleticism.
Sounds like he and Mr. Bradley need to visit the Santa Barbara conditioning program in the off season and play a lot of summer league ball.

His handle isn't tight enough to play major PG minutes. He puts the ball way too high/raises his elbow when he attempts to dribble. Those are things that were OK in college but simply won't cut it when he comes to the league. Either got called offensive fouls or lost control with the ball multiple times as a result. So again, a lot of work for him to do in the summer.

Last edited:
Yep.

I seem to remember Greg ostertag, Bryan Russell, Andrei Kirilenko, and Paul Millsap all either starting or playing significant time during their rookie seasons too. Maybe the real issue is that Sloan didn’t give crappy rookies a lot of playing time? I know I know everyone on here wanted to give deshawn Stephenson and CJ Miles 82 games and 48 mins a game. But... neither exactly ended up being Michael Jordan or Ray Allen (as they were compared to in pre-draft scouting reports).

Bryon Russell and DeShawn Stevenson. KYP know your personnel lol

Neto might actually be our best point guard. Ricky is the golden child of the coaching staff and roster, and Dante is The Chosen One of the front office.

He’s not cracking the rotation anytime soon. It looks like he’s figured that out already, unfortunately.

The problem really isn't on him, but on DL's decision to draft him cuz what we clearly needed at the time was 3pt shooting and length/athleticism at the forward spot, and Allen could give us neither.

Allen might've gotten more opportunities on teams that are either bad or slim on the backcourt. Yes. But why us? We don't have enough playing time for him. We are drafting above his expected position(either late 20's or early 30’s in the second round). Players who fit better with the team were available (Shamet, Robert Williams, etc) I honestly wouldn't be surprise to see him not finishing his rookie contract with us cuz just like Tony Bradley, do you see him ever playing more than 10mpg on this team in conditions other than some extreme circumstances like Ricky, Neto and Exit all out at the same time? I don't. He ain't playing over Mitchell, Royce or Exum. And whoever the new PG we get this summer, Allen ain't playing over him either.

And people need to cut the BS about how Allen is supposed to be one of those who ”don't really matter“. Yeah yeah, let's all pretend that one of the only viable ways for a small market team like us to get better isn't through the draft so we can keep on wasting first round draft picks.
This organization doesn’t trade or give up on young players. You mentioned Tony Bradley; well, there you go.

This organization’s decision-making regarding point guards has been a complete embarrassment.

This organization doesn’t trade or give up on young players. You mentioned Tony Bradley; well, there you go.

This organization’s decision-making regarding point guards has been a complete embarrassment.
Ur a embarrassment

this is my problem with Allen right now. He was suppose to be a gym rat. That means some one that is always in the gym working (see mitchell) It is the all star weekend and the player have a week off. I can understand the players that have played a lot need some rest but Allen hasn't been playing he should be in the gym working on his game.

But where is he? https://thebiglead.com/2019/02/16/grayson-allen-girlfriend-morgan-reid/

He is in the Caribbean banging his girlfrield. I have seen her i would be banging her too but i am not a player in the midst of a crappy rookie season that needs time to get better. This tells me a couple of things

1st maybe he isnt the gym rat i thought he was. or
2nd after looking at the pics his girlfriend is posting they are alllllllll about her that might mean she controls their relationship. That she is the alpha in the relationship and that she doesnt seem to care about him and his basketball career as much as she cares about herself.
3rd he is still to young mentally to be the player we need.

I am concerned about Allen right now and we should be

i honestly can't tell if this is a serious post or serious trolling. so much foolishness from top to bottom.

this is a guy who has played in less than half the teams games and only played meaningful minutes in maybe one-third of those of games (about 8-10 games in total). judging him on such a small sample size is short-sighted and lazy at best. this thread reeks of someone wanting to make a thread strictly to hate on him with 2-3 others in here with the same bull$hit and biased rhetoric.

Neto might actually be our best point guard. Ricky is the golden child of the coaching staff and roster, and Dante is The Chosen One of the front office.

He’s not cracking the rotation anytime soon. It looks like he’s figured that out already, unfortunately.
Sadly, I agree.

There’s something wrong with you if you think this.

this is a guy who has played in less than half the teams games and only played meaningful minutes in maybe one-third of those of games (about 8-10 games in total). judging him on such a small sample size is short-sighted and lazy at best. this thread reeks of someone wanting to make a thread strictly to hate on him with 2-3 others in here with the same bull$hit and biased rhetoric.
I was actually curious about this so I went to do some stat checking. I don't know of a way to do this automatically unfortunately so I just went and did this manually from his game log.

He's shooting 37.2% from the field in games where he gets over 10 minutes on the season, and 34.0% from deep. I'm not invested enough in Allen to go do all of his counting stats or FT% but there seems to be some truth to Allen performing better when he gets more minutes, but 37.2/34 shooting splits from the field/3pt line is still bad for a 4 year pro that you pick hoping to be NBA ready but at least it's not a total disaster like his overall season %s are.