What's new

Happy Solstice!

Merry Solstice everyone!!

I am an ex-pastafarian. I had to leave when I realized that they discriminated against the ravioliarians, and I view them as a legitimate part of the religion. Stupid fundamentalist pastafarians.

A few days late, but will be making the traditional Spaghetti and Meatballs for Solstice dinner.

I'm actually not saying "Merry Christmas" again because I do not celebrate Christmas, because I'm not a Christian. I think it is far more honest for me to not participate in Christian customs than for me to do so in order to fit in with a Christian society. For me to say "Merry Christmas" is phony. It's just a way to conform and to get along while subverting my own truth.

To be honest, it's hard and often uncomfortable for me to not participate in Christmas. As a person who usually wants to be low key being different in this way forces me into a spotlight I don't want to be in. But I feel it is important to have the integrity to be who I am regardless of how difficult it is for me to not just go with the flow.

I celebrate the Solstice, and I'll be upfront on this, I do so because it coincides with the predominate winter celebration in the culture in which I have lived my entire life. It gives me a chance to celebrate the passing of the darkest days of the season and the ushering in of longer and warmer days ahead, while others celebrate the birth of a supernatural deity. I feel my celebration is more natural, is the more important thing in our life cycle, than to imagine a being and story and focus on that, than the actual thing that is happening, which is the longest night of the year and beginning of longer warmer days ahead. All of us, in our heated homes, are protected from the cold, not by Jesus, but by the technology that many Christians are waging war against while calling the war they started the "war against Christmas."

I didn't start this war. All I ever wanted to do was to be true to myself. To have integrity in my actions and my expressions. I did so with a certain degree of risk. I do so at my own discomfort. I'm not taking the easy road, but I am taking the honest road, the high road. I will not tell you "Merry Christmas" because I am not a Christian and I would be playing a part instead of being myself if I did that. I would simply be conforming and surrendering. I would be lying. So I will not lie to you, I will not insult you and I will not degrade myself.

I will wish you a happy Solstice, and I will gladly accept your Merry Christmas, if you will offer it to me.

May all of us be here for the next trip around the sun! We can do it over again and celebrate the coming of spring one more time.

Yeah but you could say "I hope you have a merry Christmas" without espousing the religion while also showing respect for those who do. I don't find it a big deal either way. I say "happy Hanukkah" to my Jewish friends and I'm not Jewish. To each his own really.

I'm actually not saying "Merry Christmas" again because I do not celebrate Christmas, because I'm not a Christian. I think it is far more honest for me to not participate in Christian customs than for me to do so in order to fit in with a Christian society. For me to say "Merry Christmas" is phony. It's just a way to conform and to get along while subverting my own truth.

To be honest, it's hard and often uncomfortable for me to not participate in Christmas. As a person who usually wants to be low key being different in this way forces me into a spotlight I don't want to be in. But I feel it is important to have the integrity to be who I am regardless of how difficult it is for me to not just go with the flow.

I celebrate the Solstice, and I'll be upfront on this, I do so because it coincides with the predominate winter celebration in the culture in which I have lived my entire life. It gives me a chance to celebrate the passing of the darkest days of the season and the ushering in of longer and warmer days ahead, while others celebrate the birth of a supernatural deity. I feel my celebration is more natural, is the more important thing in our life cycle, than to imagine a being and story and focus on that, than the actual thing that is happening, which is the longest night of the year and beginning of longer warmer days ahead. All of us, in our heated homes, are protected from the cold, not by Jesus, but by the technology that many Christians are waging war against while calling the war they started the "war against Christmas."

I didn't start this war. All I ever wanted to do was to be true to myself. To have integrity in my actions and my expressions. I did so with a certain degree of risk. I do so at my own discomfort. I'm not taking the easy road, but I am taking the honest road, the high road. I will not tell you "Merry Christmas" because I am not a Christian and I would be playing a part instead of being myself if I did that. I would simply be conforming and surrendering. I would be lying. So I will not lie to you, I will not insult you and I will not degrade myself.

I will wish you a happy Solstice, and I will gladly accept your Merry Christmas, if you will offer it to me.

May all of us be here for the next trip around the sun! We can do it over again and celebrate the coming of spring one more time.

What about “Happy Holidays”?

I'm mostly a scrooge type, so this isn't really an issue for me.

I just tell everybody to go **** themselves. It works for all seasons.

What about “Happy Holidays”?

That's the "war on Christmas" war cry.

I've got nothing against Christmas. I've got nothing against saying "Merry Christmas." My Post was because our President gave a speech in which he said "we're going to start saying 'Merry Christmas' again." I will not be saying "Merry Christmas" again.

The "War on Christmas" was started by Christians. This is a war that is being fought in their imaginations. Christmas is the Golden State Warriors of holidays. All the big players are on the Christmas team. Unfortunately I just can't root for the champion on this one. I was born a Solstice fan. I was raised a Solstice fan. I live the Solstice life. Ride or die.

As many know, there is a relationship between Christmas and the Winter Solstice. I can only guess that there would be many Christians that would be/are uncomfortable in examining the similarities between the Christian mythos and other spiritual traditions existing in the so-called pagan world. The similarities for instance in the stories of Christ, and the Roman Dionysius, or the Egyptian Osiris as savior gods that arose from the dead:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/xmas_sel.htm

What I don't like at this time of year is arriving at the Autumnal Equinox, when the day and night is of equal length, and then seeing the days grow shorter and the sun set further south in the sky each day, until we reach the Winter Solstice and the sun begins its return. Autumn is great, and it's great to arrive at the Winter Solstice, but that point also ushers in the coldest time of the year around here.

I do like the idea of a Christmas tree, also something that has deeper roots in non Christian traditions, because it symbolizes everlasting life. It's an evergreen, a symbol of life in the depths of Winter. It's ever green, ever living.

Beginning about the time of the Autumnal Equinox this year, actually a little earlier, during late Summer, the Mrs. and I started driving to a local vantage point on Narragansett Bay to watch the sunsets. Several days a week. We've noted the sun setting further south ever since, as the days grow shorter. I like having 4 seasons, but look forward to the sun's return North and the arrival of the Vernal Equinox!

As many know, there is a relationship between Christmas and the Winter Solstice. I can only guess that there would be many Christians that would be/are uncomfortable in examining the similarities between the Christian mythos and other spiritual traditions existing in the so-called pagan world. The similarities for instance in the stories of Christ, and the Roman Dionysius, or the Egyptian Osiris as savior gods that arose from the dead:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/xmas_sel.htm

What I don't like at this time of year is arriving at the Autumnal Equinox, when the day and night is of equal length, and then seeing the days grow shorter and the sun set further south in the sky each day, until we reach the Winter Solstice and the sun begins its return. Autumn is great, and it's great to arrive at the Winter Solstice, but that point also ushers in the coldest time of the year around here.

I do like the idea of a Christmas tree, also something that has deeper roots in non Christian traditions, because it symbolizes everlasting life. It's an evergreen, a symbol of life in the depths of Winter. It's ever green, ever living.

Beginning about the time of the Autumnal Equinox this year, actually a little earlier, during late Summer, the Mrs. and I started driving to a local vantage point on Narragansett Bay to watch the sunsets. Several days a week. We've noted the sun setting further south ever since, as the days grow shorter. I like having 4 seasons, but look forward to the sun's return North and the arrival of the Vernal Equinox!

It was a common tactic among early christians to use existing pagan holidays to "assimilate" the local culture. That is where Christmas Day being in late December, the christmas tree, and various other symbols of modern christianity came to be. But it still blows my mind how many people legitimately think Dec 25th is literally the day Jesus was born.

But it still blows my mind how many people legitimately think Dec 25th is literally the day Jesus was born.

It blows my mind that someone can take stock of the mass of Christian culture in the US and still have their mind blown by this.

It blows my mind that someone can take stock of the mass of Christian culture in the US and still have their mind blown by this.

Oh NAOS you scamp!

Can't wait! I am trying spaghetti carbonara this year. Have a new recipe.

SSo many ancient "civilizations".... according to the archaeologists who never fail to see the signs.... reckoned time by the sun or moon. #SkyClockers

You blokes could just lighten the **** up and enjoy a holiday without being so freaking pretentious about the nitty gritty of it all

Happy-Summer-Solstice.jpg

The traditional spaghetti and meatball dinner is being prepared now...