What's new

Happy Solstice!

Warmer? Maybe not. Days will start getting longer though. The longest "night" happened yesterday for you. So you can look forward to longer and longer days from here until around Dec. 21st, when the days will start to get shorter again.

Solstice is a beautiful holiday! It is a marker of hope and happiness. Each one, Winter and Summer, are times of joy for reasons that hove nothing to do with the arbitrary or mysterious.
I don't think we celebrate that here.. I haven't heard of it.. haha..

I don't think we celebrate that here.. I haven't heard of it.. haha..
It is not really a holiday, per se. It is a thing that our planet does as it rotates around the sun. I'll post an instructive picture.

170906_vod_orig_equinox_16x9_992.jpg

So for me, in the Northern hemisphere (where normal people live) the Summer Solstice is the day with the longest period between dawn and dusk. The Winter Solstice is the longest night, as far as periods between when the sun sets and rises again. The Vernal and Fall equinox marks the days when the period between sunrise and sunset are equal to the period between sunset and sunrise (day and night are exactly equal). These are not supernatural, they are not religious, they are not man-made holidays. These are things that happen to us and our planet as it spins around the sun on it's tilted axis.

But it matters. It affects us. It is part of who we are and how we interact with the planet we live on. It is real.

So for me, in the Northern hemisphere (where normal people live) the Summer Solstice is the day with the longest period between dawn and dusk. The Winter Solstice is the longest night, as far as periods between when the sun sets and rises again. The Vernal and Fall equinox marks the days when the period between sunrise and sunset are equal to the period between sunset and sunrise (day and night are exactly equal). These are not supernatural, they are not religious, they are not man-made holidays. These are things that happen to us and our planet as it spins around the sun on it's tilted axis.

But it matters. It affects us. It is part of who we are and how we interact with the planet we live on. It is real.

Exactly. More real than your Tobias Harris folly

I’m freezing my **** off and it’s dark before dinner. I hate June

Days will start getting longer though. The longest "night" happened yesterday for you. So you can look forward to longer and longer days from here until around Dec. 21st, when the days will start to get shorter again.

Actually, the days start getting shorter now, until the Autumnal Equinox, about Sept. 21st, when days and nights are of equal length, after which the days keep getting shorter still, until the Winter Solstice, about Dec. 21st, the shortest day of the year, after which the sun begins its journey north again, and the days begin to get longer once more.

Oh, but maybe it's flipped where One Love lives? Now I'm really confused. Where's my coffee, lol..

So, Happy Summer Solstice!

And once we reach the 4th of July, Summer flies by, every year, lol...

I don’t believe it.

Actually, the days start getting shorter now, until the Autumnal Equinox, about Sept. 21st, when days and nights are of equal length, after which the days keep getting shorter still, until the Winter Solstice, about Dec. 21st, the shortest day of the year, after which the sun begins its journey north again, and the days begin to get longer once more.

Oh, but maybe it's flipped where One Love lives? Now I'm really confused. Where's my coffee, lol..

So, Happy Summer Solstice!

And once we reach the 4th of July, Summer flies by, every year, lol...
I was explaining this to a person in the Southern Hemisphere...

It's almost that time again!

The Winter Solstice is this Saturday. We will be observing the special occasion with the traditional meal of spaghetti and meatballs.

It's almost that time again!

The Winter Solstice is this Saturday. We will be observing the special occasion with the traditional meal of spaghetti and meatballs.
Try not to be so Americentric. It’s only winter solstice for 88% of the world.

So today is the Solstice (Winter Solstice in the Normal... I mean Northern Hemisphere). Today is a day that for me marks the end of the year and the beginning of a new and brighter future.

As I have mentioned recently, I'm working nights, 6pm-6:30am. Since the end of Daylight Savings 90%+ of my waking hours have been spent when it is dark outside. Since the end of Daylight Savings time I have noticed a significant difference in my emotional state. I can't tell you how grateful I am and how happy I am to have reached this point when it stops getting darker and darker and starts getting brighter. It literally feels like I can see light at the end of the tunnel, finally.

I have a lot to think about in regard to who I have been recently. I have been thinking about it and it hasn't been easy because I have not been anything close to my best self. I think that is obvious to many of you who have been reading my posts over the last several months.

I would like to apologize to @Jason with sincerity and meaning. I hope that I never have to apologize to you again. I mean that. I commit to you that will be a better citizen of your forum. If I cannot keep that promise I will unburden this community with my presence.

I would like to apologize to @jazzrule. I don't like you, I don't want to be your friend, but my conduct was unacceptable. I don't want to treat anyone the way I treated you, despite any sort of disrespect and dishonesty I receive. In short, I should have treated garbage better than I treated you. Not because garbage is good, but because I am better than that. Have a nice life.

Well, here we are. Obviously the new year doesn't start until the calendar tells us it does, but for me the Winter Solstice is when I put the past year behind me and begin looking towards a new and brighter future. Never in my life have I wanted that moment to come more than I do right now.

With a vaccine on the way I think that all of us can start to see a brighter year ahead. Please, I beg you, continue to be safe. A woman I've known since we were two years old, who has essentially been part of my family as my sister's and my wife's best friend for more than 30 years lost her husband on Tuesday. He was 43 years old, had no significant health issues and was the father to a 17 year old son. He died from Covid-19. This is not the time to take chances. This is the time to make it just a little bit longer so that we can put this behind us.

I don't want the Solstice to be political, but all the same, we're moving on from one administration to the next one. For many of us, myself certainly included, the last 4 years has been a strange dark time for the U.S.A.. I look forward to change. I don't have any expectations of greatness or glory, all I can hope for is normalcy. Just that would be perfect right now.

Last but not least, the days will begin to get longer. This means so much to me as a night shift worker working from 6pm to 6:30am. It is hard to express the difference this makes as I can begin again to live more and more of my life in daylight. This is what makes this time special for me. This is also why so many human civilizations have had their most important cultural celebration at this time. The Solstice is not an attack on your more specific celebration, it is a feature.

I wish our nation well and I wish the people of the world well as we move forward into the light.

Isn't it Sunday?
Aren't you jumping the gun a little bit?
Does this mean you're a premature...............
celebrator?