What's new

Hayward's Woes

You act like it wasn’t 100% clear he was not re-signing with the jazz.
I do not remember it being 100% clear. He clashed with Sloan but after Sloan retired he felt like it is his team now and was shocked and unhappy about the trade.

He's soft and always has been. Maybe it's just me being a hater but I can't think of one time he displayed an ounce of leadership his entire time in Utah. A majority of the moves he's made have displayed insecurities and playing second fiddle. The way he left Utah for example, he starved for the attention knowing full well that he was leaving. His ego needed the attention.

In Boston he's simply scared and lacks the confident leadership they need. His talent is not the issue, his insecure, immature, meekness is. The best thing for him would be to go somewhere where he's coddled like he was here. Where people appreciate his talent rather than expecting him to be something he is not. A leader of a championship team.

He's soft and always has been. Maybe it's just me being a hater but I can't think of one time he displayed an ounce of leadership his entire time in Utah. A majority of the moves he's made have displayed insecurities and playing second fiddle. The way he left Utah for example, he starved for the attention knowing full well that he was leaving. His ego needed the attention.

In Boston he's simply scared and lacks the confident leadership they need. His talent is not the issue, his insecure, immature, meekness is. The best thing for him would be to go somewhere where he's coddled like he was here. Where people appreciate his talent rather than expecting him to be something he is not. A leader of a championship team.
Good post.

Gordon should get sent to Charlotte where he wanted to go the first time he tried to leave. There, he can be pretty good and fans will say he is good. They can stomach his contract because he is better than what they have. He will do better with lower expectations.

Boston should surrender a pick to dump him to Charlotte. Seems like a win win.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I love a good redemption story. Or a story of a person overcoming obstacles to achieve.

Haywagon just isnt a good character for such a story yet. He hasn't suffered enough. When Boston fans boo him, his teammates confront him, Brad betrays him, and Robyn takes 62.5% of his fortune...then he might seem like a sympathetic character.

None of that makes sense. Many guards had career years next to Hayward. None of those guys where volume shooters like Mitchell, but its not like Hayward hogged the ball or took a ton of shots. Paul George still manages to put up ridiculous stats next to Westbrook, so I don't see why Mitchell couldn't do so with Hayward.

The fact is the Jazz would be really ****ing good if Hayward stayed.
Yep.
If he had stayed both teams would be better. In years to come he will likely regret the move more than the Jazz though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using JazzFanz mobile app

Hayward was never as good as some on here made him out to be. All things considered, Hayward was worth a max with us because we don't attract max type players but he wasn't worth the max with Boston because they do.

Even at his best, he wasn't as good as Tatum was last postseason. At his normal, Hayward is Jalen Brown without Brown's upside. Boston was short sighted to sign Hayward. His contract will end up ruining what could have been a dynasty for Boston.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
In Celtic history this situation will be right up there with Len Bias.

Haywards a *****, always was always will be.

But, the jazz offense was designed around him to get his looks. Hr was good at coming off the screen and popping the midrange a lot. Boston litetally is asking him to fit in right now, while the jazz system was made for him. He was solid, but you aint winning **** with hayward as your first option on offense.

You acting like Ainge fired them and made them lose money. Being traded is part of the NBA. If you don't want yo be traded, take a pay cut to get a no trade clause or get a trade kicker so your less attractive in a trade.
It's the way he did it, the timing of it all ... being traded is one thing, but the circumstances alter what happened.

During the whole saga, I almost got the feeling that Boston was just as interested in "stealing" a player than they were about the player himself. I get it. I never really felt sorry for Cleveland losing Boozer. It was a pretty cool thing to have a top grade free agent choose the Jazz over another organization. Haywood choosing them validated them as an organization. I think less thought went into "what exactly player are we getting" and "how does this help us win the East?"

Even at the time, during the conversations with Celtic fans on Reddit, the point was made, why not throw some resources to get Paul George, Butler, or Cousins who are better players? You have the resources to get the best, get the best. "Nope, because we can get Hayward for free and keep our resources!" Like a max salary cap slot isn't a "resource."

It was like totally redesigning the décor of your living room to match the lamp you got a deal on at the yard sale, then discovering the lamp only works with a European power output. for $10 more you could have got a better lamp, that worked with everything you already had, and would be fully functional.

Couldn't happen to a nicer fanbase.

Len Bias was a much bigger talent than Hayward. He was drawing comparisons to Jordan, and rightfully so.

That's true - Boston was already a top 5 team in the NBA when they drafted Bias. His death shifted what became the power structure in the Eastern Conference in the early 90's. His game set/athletic ability was at least 10 years before his time and, unlike Jordan, he already had a mid-range game when he was drafted.

During the whole saga, I almost got the feeling that Boston was just as interested in "stealing" a player than they were about the player himself. I get it. I never really felt sorry for Cleveland losing Boozer. It was a pretty cool thing to have a top grade free agent choose the Jazz over another organization. Haywood choosing them validated them as an organization. I think less thought went into "what exactly player are we getting" and "how does this help us win the East?"

I don't disagree with your sentiment but to be clear, with Boozer it was all about the $$$$$$

He came to Utah because they had the cap space and were able to offer more than The Cavs.

With Hayward it was the opposite.

We don't know what kind of career Bias would have had. The league has seen plenty of can't miss college talent that did not excel at the next level. However, he had the tools to be great. It is really sad that he passed so young.

I was not comparing him to Gordon on a talent basis, but rather on the negative impact his injury and uncertain recovery will likely have on the team. His max contract keeps them scrambling rather than steam rolling the East.
Len Bias was a much bigger talent than Hayward. He was drawing comparisons to Jordan, and rightfully so.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with your sentiment but to be clear, with Boozer it was all about the $$$$$$

He came to Utah because they had the cap space and were able to offer more than The Cavs.

With Hayward it was the opposite.

The Boozer thing was shady. He would have made like $700k if the team had exercised their option. Pelinka asked them to not exercise the option and in return Boozer would sign the mid-level exception (like $40M over 6 IIRC). Cavs couldn't really admit to that as it could result in tampering. So yeah, Booze was about the $$$, but that was a shady deal. I remember joking to a buddy that the Jazz should sign Boozer to a big contract after the team picked up the offer. Surprised when it actually happened.

Hayward was a free agent and made a decision. He went about it really poorly, and ultimately made a bad choice, but IMO, the Boozer thing was much dirtier.

MJ would not be the false idol MJ he is today if Len Bias had played in the NBA. Very good chance that the discontinued Nike Revolution would have fallen into Len's lap instead of MJ's.