What's new

Hood or Favors?

To me Hill has to be paid, even if it takes maxing him at age 30 its got to be done.

Capologists can correct me, but I think you're talking 4 years, $140MM? This would be overpaying the market in my opinion, especially at age 31 with durability concerns. I doubt the Spurs or other suitors where he fits well would shell out that type of money. I think he goes for something like 4 years, $75-90MM. But then again, my brain is not fully re-calibrated to the new cap levels.

Favors or Hill would have been a better question.

No it wouldn't. Hill is expiring this year and Favors has 1 year left. Hill is a no brainer right now. Hood will be due for a new contract at the same time Favors expires, and with Utah's financial situation, they very well might end up having to chose between Hood and Favors. If that ends up being the case, there's a good chance we see a significant trade sometime next year.

If Favors was completely healthy, I'd keep him over Hood. That's nothing against Hood, but Derrick Favors continues to be underrated among Jazz fans. However, it looks more and more to me like Favors is going to be chronically banged up, to the point of even when he's healthy enough to play, he's still not healthy enough to play at 100%.

I think if Utah had to make a decision right now, you'd keep Hood over Favors.

I think the Jazz are considering trading Favors once he's healthy and can re-establish his value. They probably want to keep Hill, Hayward and Gobert as their core for now. Having Hill on the floor is night and day on both ends of the court. Even if they lose Hayward, however, I think they've decided that Gobert is the closest thing we have to a franchise player, and they've realized how effective Rudy can be with space and ball movement, which Favors doesn't deliver. Favors' flakey health has to be another factor they consider.

Favors is a good player, but he's going to get a near-max deal from someone once he proves he's healthy (think Joaqim Noah). A bunch of teams are going to come calling, and Favors could be gone anyway. I think Hayward and Gobert are the identity of the Jazz, and relatively young guys like Hood, Lyles and maybe Exum can fill in the gaps.

If there's one thing we've learned from this stretch of games missed by Favors, it's that Trey Lyles is no where close to being able to fill those shoes. Favors is just a flat out better player. Whether or not he ever gets back to being 100% healthy seems to be a big question mark, but replacing him with an inferior player because of better fit is and always has been fool's gold.

Lets hope the cap projections are understated.

If they arent - the Luxury tax should still be around 130MM for the 2018-2019 season which means they can afford them both..

Rudy 23MM
Hayward 27MM
Hill 20 MM
Favors 19MM
Hood 23MM
Burks 11M
Lyles 3MM
2 2017 1st rd picks 3M
2 2018 1st rd picks 3M
Bolomboy 1M

Thats ~133M with 3 spots left to be filled (They've got so many 2nd rd picks to fill those spots cheaply with..) So they'll be in the lowest lux tax bracket. No big deal. This year's roster is super cheap lets hope this is what they're saving for..

We do not need Favors long term. His durability, impending contract and lack of good playoff fit next to Gobert make him expendable. But we can't trade him until this summer because of Hayward. Which sucks because we will get less value.

Sent from my VS980 4G using JazzFanz mobile app

Lets hope the cap projections are understated.

If they arent - the Luxury tax should still be around 130MM for the 2018-2019 season which means they can afford them both..

Rudy 23MM
Hayward 27MM
Hill 20 MM
Favors 19MM
Hood 23MM
Burks 11M
Lyles 3MM
2 2017 1st rd picks 3M
2 2018 1st rd picks 3M
Bolomboy 1M

Thats ~133M with 3 spots left to be filled (They've got so many 2nd rd picks to fill those spots cheaply with..) So they'll be in the lowest lux tax bracket. No big deal. This year's roster is super cheap lets hope this is what they're saving for..

I think hill, Hayward, and favors all get more than what you have them listed at.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz

I'd say max hood. But Favs is under rated here big time. We don't another big that can guard outside the key like Favs can. But I would love to see Favs on a team where he's appreciated. Cause the guy is still young. And still has an amazing IQ on both sides of the court.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

If there's one thing we've learned from this stretch of games missed by Favors, it's that Trey Lyles is no where close to being able to fill those shoes. Favors is just a flat out better player. Whether or not he ever gets back to being 100% healthy seems to be a big question mark, but replacing him with an inferior player because of better fit is and always has been fool's gold.

The premise here is that the Jazz can't afford to keep everyone. So yeah, in a vacuum you'd keep Favors, but the question is relative value and how far into the luxe tax the Jazz are willing to go. Favors is going to want to get paid in a big way, and he'll get it on the market. Lyles already shoots better out on the floor and moves the ball better than Favors, and he's on rookie-scale for 2 more seasons after this.

The other guy no one's talking about in this thread is Alec Burks. Is it a foregone conclusion that he'll be a cap casualty?

Something we need to think about as well is if we do trade Favs or don't sign him. It will put us back at least 2 years. Lyles is at least that far out before you can count on him on a nightly basis. Even longer if he doesn't learn fundamentals of basketball like help defense and rebounding. This is something the front office has to seriously take into account. Cause we aren't going to win it now. So u either stay and let them grow together as you are. Or turn the tables and wait a bit longer.

Something we need to think about as well is if we do trade Favs or don't sign him. It will put us back at least 2 years. Lyles is at least that far out before you can count on him on a nightly basis. Even longer if he doesn't learn fundamentals of basketball like help defense and rebounding. This is something the front office has to seriously take into account. Cause we aren't going to win it now. So u either stay and let them grow together as you are. Or turn the tables and wait a bit longer.

Not necessarily, it just means the Jazz would probably go to a permanent stretch PF on the floor at all times. You could go after Niko Mirotic in the off season for 12 million and he and Lyles would share the time as a stretch PF. Mirotic is having a down year but you'd count on his 3 point shooting would bounce back to at least 35%.

I would somehow convince them both even if it takes to find a mind manipulator to hypnotize them accept cheap salaries. Both are important pieces. While Lyles seems like he can take over, he doesn't have the same defensive ability which will also affect Gobert's efficiency.
On the other hand Hood is an all around starter. So its a hard call.
Both must stay.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Why would anyone max Hood?
Burks received a 4/40 deal. That is the type of deal Hood will get (obviously it will be more money, because the cap is a lot higher, but Hood will get that "above average starter" money...because he is a very average starter).

Good to see you and your hilariously off takes back on the board.

Favors with screwed up knee and bummed back is light years ahead of Lyles.

It's embarrassing how underrated Favors has become.

Sent from my SM-G930P using JazzFanz mobile app

A guy misses 1 month of basketball and is limited for another month and everybody is ready to disregard years of solid two-way performances. Hood has never played with the consistency and at the level Favors played for the last two years and Favors is just a year older than Hood. I love Hood, but it boggles my mind why anyone would think Hood is the better player.