What's new

Hood or Favors?

We can debate this all day, but the Clippers are not contenders. They have a top 3 PG and a fantastic spot up shooter. They also have a fantastic 6th man. However, they spend a majority of their money on a PF and C. Neither can shoot. They can't play at the same time in crunch time.

The Clippers are irrelevant. Don't get me wrong, they are good. They just don't have the pieces to win a title unless teams in the playoffs get major injuries.

It is bad business to let anybody go including Favors. Its also bad business to spend max on 2 bigs when neither of them can shoot and one is a injury risk. Its awful business to pass up on good trade chips.

Sent from my VS980 4G using JazzFanz mobile app

Sounds like what people said about Dirk and the Mavs before they won it.

Bad business is to chase the popular model when you dont have the personnel to do it. Be the best version of what your personnel will allow and compete. The Clippers can win the Championship just as much as anyone who isnt the Warriors or Cavs can win it.

And Griffin isnt a good trade chip. He is on an expiring contract w/ knee issues.

We can debate this all day, but the Clippers are not contenders. They have a top 3 PG and a fantastic spot up shooter. They also have a fantastic 6th man. However, they spend a majority of their money on a PF and C. Neither can shoot. They can't play at the same time in crunch time.

The Clippers are irrelevant. Don't get me wrong, they are good. They just don't have the pieces to win a title unless teams in the playoffs get major injuries.

It is bad business to let anybody go including Favors. Its also bad business to spend max on 2 bigs when neither of them can shoot and one is a injury risk. Its awful business to pass up on good trade chips.

So you think Favors who can't shoot as you say, and is an injury risk is a good trade chip? And trading Favs is instantly going to make us contenders? I love the enthusiasm, but we aren't playing for a title this year. So not sure why everyone wants to ship him off so quickly. But I say lets do it. You clowns are excited to get it done like something AMAZING is waiting in the aftermath. So sign me up.

And Dirk got the perfect defense first compliment at C for that run. Its called chemistry and fit. Dirk and Chandler had it perfect.

So you think Favors who can't shoot as you say, and is an injury risk is a good trade chip? And trading Favs is instantly going to make us contenders? I love the enthusiasm, but we aren't playing for a title this year. So not sure why everyone wants to ship him off so quickly. But I say lets do it. You clowns are excited to get it done like something AMAZING is waiting in the aftermath. So sign me up.
I never said contenders. I'm talking about the long haul. We don't need Favors long term at max. We need for him to get us something via trade this summer to help towards our eventual chance at contention.

I never said contenders. I'm talking about the long haul. We don't need Favors long term at max. We need for him to get us something via trade this summer to help towards our eventual chance at contention.

Nah, this is what you said about Favors: "Favors is a massive ***** and always has been".

Nah, this is what you said about Favors: "Favors is a massive ***** and always has been".
He has. He's a big, talented *****. If he had half the fight of Draymond or Horace Grant or Malone or a number of PF throughout the years, he could be a legend. However, he lacks the fight to win, get through nagging injuries, etc.

He has. He's a big, talented *****. If he had half the fight of Draymond or Horace Grant or Malone or a number of PF throughout the years, he could be a legend. However, he lacks the fight to win, get through nagging injuries, etc.

lmao. Just cuz he doesnt yell and scream.

Assuming DL can only pick one of them after paying George Hill and Hayward who would you keep?
Both have been dissapointing this year even amid injuries.
To me Hill has to be paid, even if it takes maxing him at age 30 its got to be done.
So on the chopping block is Hood or Favors. Assume each must be maxed. Who would you pay, or neither??

I agree on Hill and would take Hood in a heartbeat. He's been mired in a minor slump of late coming off being sick but even when he's off he's an asset as he's one of the few guys on the team that can create for himself and shoot over people if necessary, also he's left handed which is a bit of an advantage in most all sports as people are not programmed to defend it. As for Favors, at one time the best player on the team IMHO, but his chronic back and leg issues detract from the core familiarity. Also, Gobert has emerged as our low post presence making Favors a lane clogger (as he's not a stretch).

I agree on Hill and would take Hood in a heartbeat. He's been mired in a minor slump of late coming off being sick but even when he's off he's an asset as he's one of the few guys on the team that can create for himself and shoot over people if necessary, also he's left handed which is a bit of an advantage in most all sports as people are not programmed to defend it. As for Favors, at one time the best player on the team IMHO, but his chronic back and leg issues detract from the core familiarity. Also, Gobert has emerged as our low post presence making Favors a lane clogger (as he's not a stretch).

I think Hill is hitting his peak as a player. He does things effortlessly the way Stockton used to. He hasn't played in a month and he wasn't even breathing heavily. He actually could be a top-5 PG, factoring everything into the equation, including defense and game management. You could get three more peak years from him after this one. Along with Hayward and Gobert, you have your core. Of course you keep Hood. Next we'll have to see how Favors and Burks hold up healthwise, and then you have Lyles who is continuing to improve. Dante is the big question mark but with Hill signed up, we can be patient with him and shouldn't have to pay him big money right away if he eventually develops. Jingles is another guy who can be a role player for several years. Boris and Joe will be gone in two years. Next year could be our year to contend.

Last season there was some really long streak of losing games without Favors in the lineup--anyone remember the exact number?

Sent from my SM-G930P using JazzFanz mobile app
12 game losing streak spanning two seasons.
2013-14: 0-9
2014-15: first 3 DNPs for Favors, Jazz 0-3

Last season, Favors missed 16 straight games, Jazz were 7-9.

A guy misses 1 month of basketball and is limited for another month and everybody is ready to disregard years of solid two-way performances. Hood has never played with the consistency and at the level Favors played for the last two years and Favors is just a year older than Hood. I love Hood, but it boggles my mind why anyone would think Hood is the better player.

Who's better isn't really the question though, it's who helps the team win more. As I said in an earlier post, at one time I considered Favors the best player on the team. He hasn't returned with quite the same vigor, but I still believe that he will regain his wind and find his form. But what the pro-Favors crowd isn't taking into account is the fact that Favors spends an appreciable percentage of his time on court spelling Gobert. Also, when he has played alongside Gobert, Favors covers the opposing center and Gobert covers the power forward on most nights. Now this strategy makes sense because not only is Favors the stouter and stronger of the two, but he is also the slower of the two as well. Favors made his name on interior defense not perimeter and is simply not quick enough to cover the quicker fours and fives in this league. Then there's the spacing issues on offense. So the question becomes not only whether Favors can put his chronic injuries behind him but also if he can coexist with a much improved Gobert in a league that has fallen in love with small ball.

Now don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to keep both, but the fact that Favors will demand more money on his next deal coupled with the other issues makes me lean towards Hood.