What's new

Hood or Favors?

Jazz4ever

Assuming DL can only pick one of them after paying George Hill and Hayward who would you keep?
Both have been dissapointing this year even amid injuries.
To me Hill has to be paid, even if it takes maxing him at age 30 its got to be done.
So on the chopping block is Hood or Favors. Assume each must be maxed. Who would you pay, or neither??

I wouldn't classify Hood as a disappointment at all. He's run into a rough patch but overall I think he's played well and expanded his game to more than just jump shooting.

I think we can keep both. If we cant I would have to wait and see this season. I assume Favors will get back into shape and play better than he did last season. If that is the case I think he is a must keep. It also depends on how well Burks plays when he comes back and if he stay healthy. Obviously all of them are signed through this season and the next at least except Hill. We do not have to make a decision about either Favors, Hood or Burks this year or next.

It also depends on what we could get back in a trade of either and how much they are going to get paid on their next contract.

IDK, but the PF and SG positions are clearly the most replaceable positions.There is no way we arent signing Hood on his next contract. Even if someone maxes him and we have to match, he is a very tradeable contract.

IDK, but the PF and SG positions are clearly the most replaceable positions.There is no way we arent signing Hood on his next contract. Even if someone maxes him and we have to match, he is a very tradeable contract.

Agree on the PF... there are so many things teams do to work around at that position and I think big wings are just more effective there in general. I think favors skill set is best used with a shooting five. Jokic or porzingis... maybe even embiid. I think him and Rudy can share the floor and be effective but isn't ideal.

I like Hood... can't let this recent string hurt the perspective there. I still worry a bit about durability but dude is smart and is a worker. I could see him improving every year similarly to Hayward... Gordon has already exceeded what I thought his ceiling was. I also think there are not many good shooting guards and that because of his ball handling you can play multiple wings with him. He's an okay defender and tries hard on that end.

To me Favs was always the odd man out of Rudy emerged and Rudy has done that for sure. We need to retain Hayward prior to moving favors imo plus he will have more value if he can stay on the court. I believe he can be extended by whatever team trades for him but haven't studied the new cba in depth.

There was an interesting trade on another forum... it's literally impossible to work the numbers until this summer but it was basically favs and Burks for McCollum and ed Davis. Kinda intriguing.

With Hill on board that'd be a no from me... but if he left this offseason that'd be interesting. I think CJ would be better on both ends of the floor as a pg... Davis is a great fit with Lyles... and could probably play some with Gobert.

Hood. A max for him is much cheaper. Lyles fits the need for a stretch 4. I think Jazz could find a 4/5 to replace most of Favs production. Finding a shooter like Hood would be more difficult, IMO. I'm also factoring in my concern over Derrick's durability.

Tough question. I'd probably choose Hood, as I think this is the direction the NBA is heading, skilled wing players are at a premium. We have Gobert clogging the middle already, so having another shot blocking big is a luxury, which I'd love to have, but I'm of the opinion that Favors will become increasingly injury prone, which is, in my view, reason enough to prefer Hood. With that said, I am concerned about how inconsistent Hood continues to be. He also shows some signs of being injury prone as well. I'd hate to let either go, but IF forced, at this moment, I'd choose Hood, with injury proneness being my primary concern about Favors.

PF seems pretty replaceable. I know a couple on here claim Gobert and Favors can work long term but the first game Favors starts, Gobert's turnovers jump to 6. Coincidence?

On Zach Lowe's Raptor themed podcast this year they where talking about available PF's to trade for and Lowe brought up Favors. He said he doubts Utah will trade him this year because they have to go all in to compete to impress Hayward, but wouldn't be surprised if the Jazz trade him next year.

*Also kind of funny in same podcast they start talking about Bruno Caboclo. The two Raptors guys on the podcast say that he is terrible in practice and in the D-League (said he plays Jerry Stackhouse 1-on-1 for practice and the games aren't even close), very little hope he turns into anything. Then they laugh that Raptors could have drafted Rodney Hood.*

Last edited:
Why would anyone max Hood?
Burks received a 4/40 deal. That is the type of deal Hood will get (obviously it will be more money, because the cap is a lot higher, but Hood will get that "above average starter" money...because he is a very average starter).

I think the Jazz are considering trading Favors once he's healthy and can re-establish his value. They probably want to keep Hill, Hayward and Gobert as their core for now. Having Hill on the floor is night and day on both ends of the court. Even if they lose Hayward, however, I think they've decided that Gobert is the closest thing we have to a franchise player, and they've realized how effective Rudy can be with space and ball movement, which Favors doesn't deliver. Favors' flakey health has to be another factor they consider.

Favors is a good player, but he's going to get a near-max deal from someone once he proves he's healthy (think Joaqim Noah). A bunch of teams are going to come calling, and Favors could be gone anyway. I think Hayward and Gobert are the identity of the Jazz, and relatively young guys like Hood, Lyles and maybe Exum can fill in the gaps.

I think the Jazz are considering trading Favors once he's healthy and can re-establish his value. They probably want to keep Hill, Hayward and Gobert as their core for now. Having Hill on the floor is night and day on both ends of the court. Even if they lose Hayward, however, I think they've decided that Gobert is the closest thing we have to a franchise player, and they've realized how effective Rudy can be with space and ball movement, which Favors doesn't deliver. Favors' flakey health has to be another factor they consider.

Favors is a good player, but he's going to get a near-max deal from someone once he proves he's healthy (think Joaqim Noah). A bunch of teams are going to come calling, and Favors could be gone anyway. I think Hayward and Gobert are the identity of the Jazz, and relatively young guys like Hood, Lyles and maybe Exum can fill in the gaps.

No, like Lowe said 0% chance Favors gets traded with Hayward's impending FA.

No, like Lowe said 0% chance Favors gets traded with Hayward's impending FA.

This is correct... we can't rock the boat. I think Favs value only increases by the end of the season. Only way we'd move him is if there was an injury to LeBron or Curry/Durant and someone felt like they should cash out of a ton of future assets to go for it this year.

Outside of the Raptors no team in that tier really has anything close to what I want. Boston obviously has assets but it's a terrible fit.

I don't foresee any trade for us this year unless it was something revolving around the GSW pick... maybe Diaw+GSW pick for Lou Williams (he'd be great in the Shelvin Mack spot). Just an example... don't go crazy.

PF seems pretty replaceable. I know a couple on here claim Gobert and Favors can work long term but the first game Favors starts, Gobert's turnovers jump to 6. Coincidence?

They have started 10 games together this season.

They also are putting up fantastic numbers when playing together this season as others have stated.