What's new

Hood or Favors?

Hood.

Have always thought Favors play too soft. Great player, but something's always been missing, imo.

Why would anyone max Hood?
Burks received a 4/40 deal. That is the type of deal Hood will get (obviously it will be more money, because the cap is a lot higher, but Hood will get that "above average starter" money...because he is a very average starter).

You're ****ing clueless.

Favors is a good player, but he's a luxury we can't afford. Title contending teams simply can't spend 40+% of the cap on their PF and C. Those days of Bynum/Gasol and Duncan/Robinson are long gone. The Clippers can't win because they have 2 bigs eating the lane and cap yet can't shoot a lick.

We are blessed to have Gobert owning the middle. We need to have a PF by committee approach with Lyles, Diaw, and a small option. A guy like Barnes would be perfect, and who knows Hayward might be able to do it a little when Burks and Hill return. We need to target a stretch 3/4 and hope Bolomboy develops as guy to replace Diaw soon.

Sent from my VS980 4G using JazzFanz mobile app

It's embarrassing how underrated Favors has become.

Agreed. Favors was a near allstar before his injury. Neither Hood or Lyles comes close right now, especially defensively where they both suck a lot. But that's "fans" for you. You get hurt 2 months and they already want to trade you to China.

Now the best move would be waiting to see if Favors can play 100 % healthy again for at least half a season. If so, he's basically irreplaceable.

Jazz is a contender only if Favors is healthy. The killer defense comes from having both Gobert and Favors inside, with Hayward / Hill outside. If you remove one, Jazz is still a very good team but probably not a contender anymore.

Agreed. Favors was a near allstar before his injury. Neither Hood or Lyles comes close right now, especially defensively where they both suck a lot. But that's "fans" for you. You get hurt 2 months and they already want to trade you to China.

Now the best move would be waiting to see if Favors can play 100 % healthy again for at least half a season. If so, he's basically irreplaceable.

Jazz is a contender only if Favors is healthy. The killer defense comes from having both Gobert and Favors inside, with Hayward / Hill outside. If you remove one, Jazz is still a very good team but probably not a contender anymore.

But his health is incredibly worrisome to me. He has what are generally minor injuries repetitively now and they have cost him time and performance like major injuries. I am very concerned that his body is already breaking down on him. I hope I am wrong but I would not consider a big contract for him until I was convinced otherwise, as in, starting to be very productive again very soon and playing the rest of the season.

But his health is incredibly worrisome to me. He has what are generally minor injuries repetitively now and they have cost him time and performance like major injuries. I am very concerned that his body is already breaking down on him. I hope I am wrong but I would not consider a big contract for him until I was convinced otherwise, as in, starting to be very productive again very soon and playing the rest of the season.

Sure. We just have to wait and see where it goes now.

So, are you "max Hood" guys the same guys that swore that Burks would get maxed out? lol.

What about Hood screams "max" player? His below average PER? His below average defensive rating? The fact that other than getting more minutes, he hasn't improved since his rookie year? In fact, his shooting is down this year.

Glad to see this board is still completely over-rating average NBA players. CJ Miles, Alec Burks, amIright?

Hood will get Alec Burks money. Whatever the equivalent of 4 years/40 million under the new cap. And he will be worth it. He is a good player. Nowhere near a max player.

I'm not disagreeing. Sacramento showed how to negate Rudy. With a healthy Favors, it wouldn't have mattered if they kept Rudy outside.
But we've also seen how the offense struggles without a quality SG.

Of course Utah is better off with both. But Utah has played very well without Derrick. And Hood is streaky. It's a tough choice, but I think Utah gets a better return on investment with Hood ~18m than Derrick at ~30m ( the assumption was max for either). Max Hood and there's still money available to get a 4/5.

Again, you sign both along with Hill and run the 2018-2019 season. If you are contending, you pay the luxury tax. If you are out of contention you trade a piece that you feel like you can replace before the trade deadline. If things have went south you have Hill, Hood, Hayward, Gobert, and Favors all on long remaining contracts which are easily the most tradable. There is nothing wrong with having good players on big contracts, they win games AND act as team assets. You just can't have stiffs on big contracts. None of those players are stiffs.

Favors is a good player, but he's a luxury we can't afford. Title contending teams simply can't spend 40+% of the cap on their PF and C. Those days of Bynum/Gasol and Duncan/Robinson are long gone. The Clippers can't win because they have 2 bigs eating the lane and cap yet can't shoot a lick.

We are blessed to have Gobert owning the middle. We need to have a PF by committee approach with Lyles, Diaw, and a small option. A guy like Barnes would be perfect, and who knows Hayward might be able to do it a little when Burks and Hill return. We need to target a stretch 3/4 and hope Bolomboy develops as guy to replace Diaw soon.

No, the Clippers cant win because there are better teams out there, some untimely injuries, and Doc the GM made bad moves filling out his roster.

No, the Clippers cant win because there are better teams out there, some untimely injuries, and Doc the GM made bad moves filling out his roster.
No, the Clips can't win because they don't have the wing play to compete with other teams. Why? Because they spend so much money and influence on two big guys who have zero range. Without Chris Paul, those guys would be average.

So no Cy, you're wrong. The Clippers don't contend because they are poorly constructed. You don't build around 2 bigs anymore.

No, the Clips can't win because they don't have the wing play to compete with other teams. Why? Because they spend so much money and influence on two big guys who have zero range. Without Chris Paul, those guys would be average.

So no Cy, you're wrong. The Clippers don't contend because they are poorly constructed. You don't build around 2 bigs anymore.

The Hell? Blake Griffin has nice touch for a big. "Zero Range" is kind of a silly thing to saddle him with. The Clips have screwy chemistry with parts that don't make the whole better. Those good "parts," especially Chris Paul, are a bit overrated as well.

Definitely not wrong. They built around the two great players they drafted and they did that well. If you are saying that this was a mistake, then you clearly know nothing of team building and making the best of what you have.

Doc just made some bad moves for their role player spots and has drafted terribly. They dont have a single contributor on their roster from the last 6 years of drafting. Their teams have been great, but they just have gotten some bad luck with injuries.

Arent you an old-school Jazz fan? How can you really call to break up a team as good as the Clippers just because they have failed the first handful of times? How long did it take Malone and Stockton to finally get to the Finals?

Arent you an old-school Jazz fan? How can you really call to break up a team as good as the Clippers just because they have failed the first handful of times? How long did it take Malone and Stockton to finally get to the Finals?

Too long. Their careers were peppered by playoff upsets to lesser teams.

The Hell? Blake Griffin has nice touch for a big. "Zero Range" is kind of a silly thing to saddle him with. The Clips have screwy chemistry with parts that don't make the whole better. Those good "parts," especially Chris Paul, are a bit overrated as well.

The only thing that really sucks for the Clippers are Blake's injuries are mounting. I've always thought Blake was the closest thing to Malone since Malone, but he isnt quite as big so I dont know how well he will do into his 30's if the injuries keep piling up. I hope they don't though, Griffin is one of my favorite non-Jazz players.

So, are you "max Hood" guys the same guys that swore that Burks would get maxed out? lol.

What about Hood screams "max" player? His below average PER? His below average defensive rating? The fact that other than getting more minutes, he hasn't improved since his rookie year? In fact, his shooting is down this year.

Glad to see this board is still completely over-rating average NBA players. CJ Miles, Alec Burks, amIright?

Hood will get Alec Burks money. Whatever the equivalent of 4 years/40 million under the new cap. And he will be worth it. He is a good player. Nowhere near a max player.

Don't remember anyone saying Burks would be a max player. If you go back to the extension thread when he was resigned it was about 50/50 happy/unhappy.

We can debate this all day, but the Clippers are not contenders. They have a top 3 PG and a fantastic spot up shooter. They also have a fantastic 6th man. However, they spend a majority of their money on a PF and C. Neither can shoot. They can't play at the same time in crunch time.

The Clippers are irrelevant. Don't get me wrong, they are good. They just don't have the pieces to win a title unless teams in the playoffs get major injuries.

It is bad business to let anybody go including Favors. Its also bad business to spend max on 2 bigs when neither of them can shoot and one is a injury risk. Its awful business to pass up on good trade chips.