What's new

How amazing will it be...

Game was unwatchable after the first 5 minutes, good to end on a win but to score 35 pts in the first 6 minutes or so and than not score again or really do anything on offense from their on out is pretty weak....game should've been 60 - 0 at half

Do the utes have a gas pedal?

Do they? Yes. Did they display a good offense? Of course not. They definitely missed Booker but it also comes down to terrible throws from Wilson and complacency after the big 1st quarter. It seems like Kyle plays not to lose at times rather than finishing games out like you should. Credit goes to the BYU defense but I also feel the conservative play calling didn't help either. JMO.

Do they? Yes. Did they display a good offense? Of course not. They definitely missed Booker but it also comes down to terrible throws from Wilson and complacency after the big 1st quarter. It seems like Kyle plays not to lose at times rather than finishing games out like you should. Credit goes to the BYU defense but I also feel the conservative play calling didn't help either. JMO.
Agreed.
Lots of coaches get too conservative too soon. So common. I hate prevent defense.

I can understand playing to the strenghts of your personal though and the lead was HUGE.
Plus, end of the day, it worked

Do the utes have a gas pedal?
Their defense seemed to today. After the big lead they backed off of the WR's and didn't attempt to put pressure on Mangum as much. The team went with their typical BS conservative game plan after getting the lead. If they continued to play the same defense they did to start the game they win more comfortably. But they didn't, the game plan changed once they got the lead and they stopped attacking on defense.
It's not just Utah's offense that plays not to lose once they get a lead.

BTW can Mangum succeed without the tallest WR's in college football? He relies on those guys bailing him out and winning jump balls a lot. He should have thrown 3 more picks today than he did DB's just missed the INT's.

BTW can Mangum succeed without the tallest WR's in college football? He relies on those guys bailing him out and winning jump balls a lot. He should have thrown 3 more picks today than he did DB's just missed the INT's.

You can't really down him for playing to his WR's strengths.

This is all true, but it doesn't go far enough. An aggressive defense got them that lead, but after they had it they stopped playing aggressive defense. They backed off and started letting BYU get a rhythm.

A. He is a freshman and was co mvp of the elite 11 qb camp and was the most accurate qb there.

B. Who says he won't have the tallest receivers next year?
9 returning receivers are over 6 foot 2. Five are over 6 foot 3. 3 are over 6 foot 4.

Matthews is definitely a big loss but even looking at this year blackmon (6 foot 2), pearson (6 foot tall), juergens (5 foot 10), and Henderson (6 foot 1) all had allot catches and yards.
Plus the running backs caught some balls.

It's not like he only passed to tall guys. Mangum spreads the ball around. Happened to have 3 super tall dudes, two of them seniors, and he took advantage of that sometimes. Him using his tall weapons doesn't mean he can't throw to shorter guys. Taking advantage of the defense with the weapons at your disposal is what any qb should do.

So in answer to your question.... Yes I think mangum will be a very good qb with whatever body type his receivers have

Props to the Utes for coming out ready to take it to the Cougars. Props to the Cougars for not giving up and making it a game. I almost thought they were going to complete the comeback in the fourth quarter. One of the most bizarre games I've ever seen, certainly one to remember for the ages.

Oh, and props to both teams and both sets of fans for pretty good sportsmanship all around.

A. He is a freshman and was co mvp of the elite 11 qb camp and was the most accurate qb there.

B. Who says he won't have the tallest receivers next year?
9 returning receivers are over 6 foot 2. Five are over 6 foot 3. 3 are over 6 foot 4.

Matthews is definitely a big loss but even looking at this year blackmon (6 foot 2), pearson (6 foot tall), juergens (5 foot 10), and Henderson (6 foot 1) all had allot catches and yards.
Plus the running backs caught some balls.

It's not like he only passed to tall guys. Mangum spreads the ball around. Happened to have 3 super tall dudes, two of them seniors, and he took advantage of that sometimes. Him using his tall weapons doesn't mean he can't throw to shorter guys. Taking advantage of the defense with the weapons at your disposal is what any qb should do.

So in answer to your question.... Yes I think mangum will be a very good qb with whatever body type his receivers have
Interesting, I guess we'll see.
I'd guess half his pass attempts against Utah were jump balls. Very few of them were completed. When he got in trouble this game he relied on Jump ball passes a lot, and most of them were incomplete. If he continues to do that with smaller/less athletic receiver's he could get himself in a lot of trouble.

Over all in this game I was semi impressed with Mangum after that 1st quarter, though I do attribute a lot of his success late in the game to Utah backing off on defense.

Technicality. I don't think you can call what happened in the 2nd half a success, just because the 35 point lead was barely enough to cause the cougars to run out of time.
I get what you are saying but I call a win success. The goal of every game is to win. Maybe if whitt calls the offensive plays more aggressively byu gets a few pick 6's.
You never know. What I do know is that whitt went ultra conservative, byu almost cameback, and utah successfully won the game