What's new

How did Exum look last night?

He played his best game yet but I still think he's struggling to find his role and gain chemistry within the offense. This is not all in him as I think the guys around him don't quite have chemistry with him either.

Don't take this the wrong way but I think he can become a poor mans Ben Simmons type player for this team. He has good to great court vision and can become efficient around the rim. As I said about chemistry, I think the players around him just need to learn that he will get them the ball in scoring position if they make the right cuts and reads but this takes an understanding from Dante as well. Unfortunately that is what off-season, pre-season and an 82 game schedule is for.
Self bump except I think hes starting to find his place and when he needs to attack.

They're playing Exum off the ball more than on it, but it's working more or less. It means he can use his ability to score without screwing up the offensive sets too often.

Derp, Exum sucks.

Prolly jazz should just give qualifying offer or just let him go.

No way they should pay him actual monies.

One of my biggest issues that I see with Exum detractors is that he looks "awkward" while he plays.

If I can be honest, who gives a ****? Style doesn't give you any extra points. Burks looks cooler than the majority of the players in the league but he can't get off the bench. I just want effective.

So yeah, his weird almost flatfoot layup on the run and floater don't look normal, but somehow, they work. That's all I care about.

Exum certainly has issues and flaws, but awkward? Meh. I don't care about that. And you shouldn't either. Just care about whether it's effective or not.

One of my biggest issues that I see with Exum detractors is that he looks "awkward" while he plays.

If I can be honest, who gives a ****? Style doesn't give you any extra points. Burks looks cooler than the majority of the players in the league but he can't get off the bench. I just want effective.

So yeah, his weird almost flatfoot layup on the run and floater don't look normal, but somehow, they work. That's all I care about.

Exum certainly has issues and flaws, but awkward? Meh. I don't care about that. And you shouldn't either. Just care about whether it's effective or not.
I completely agree. Someone even went so far as to say his movements looked feminine. Give me a break. Did the ball go into the basket or not?

It made me think of something I heard a while back. In general shooting free throws underhanded is more accurate than the way we see all players shoot today. I think any player who can't shoot 65% or better the traditional way should be forced by their coach to learn to shoot underhanded. The only reason players don't shoot using the more accurate technique is that is would make them look silly, because, after all, that technique is called "granny style."

Agree. Huge style points for AB.

They're playing Exum off the ball more than on it, but it's working more or less. It means he can use his ability to score without screwing up the offensive sets too often.

Him starting his drive while catching the pass makes him even faster.

It’s a pretty good offensive system for him because he’s not a full pg imo.

Exum's current PER: 21.2, best of all rotation players (Rudy is 2nd @ 21.2). His TS%: .658, 2nd only to Rudy (.663).

Note: For the record, I don't believe in PER. It's an invention of Hollinger, a lazy dumbass who didn't want to take the time to analyze boxscores, let alone watch the damn games, so he came up with a formula to compress the boxscore into a single number he could calculate and sort in a spreadsheet. It only really tells you who the best fantasy basketball players are. There is correlation between the best players in the league and PER, because these guys also stuff the stat sheet, but it throws out too many anomalies for the bulk of the league. Thabo is one example - a player who logs heavy minutes for good teams but is 'below average' according to PER. Then there is Ekpe and Joe - Ekpe has the higher PER (15.4 v 14.2), but he can't get off the bench when Rudy and Faves are healthy, while Joe - who is also rated below-average - starts and plays 30 mins+ every game.

Caveat: Yeah, I know, very small sample size, tanking opponents and/or their best players missing, he still looks goofy, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Seeing Simmons shoot like that would definitely seal ROTY for Mitchell :)

Mitchell is awesome for a rookie.

But Simmons is an absolute monster. Granted his shooting ain’t the best, but damn his overall play is amazing.

On a side note, Fultz will be really good but if the Sixers drafted Mitchell that would have been a really fun Sixers team to watch.

Ok I knew it. Elan_Prodigy you are correct.

Quin after the game said some stuff about not having had the 'opportunity' to put Dante in for more minutes since his return!!!! I knew it I knew it. Nothing about 'easing' him back etc. Just that Q as per normal doesn't envisage Dante being a main (trusted) difference maker.

Sucks.

Mitchell is awesome for a rookie.

But Simmons is an absolute monster. Granted his shooting ain’t the best, but damn his overall play is amazing.

On a side note, Fultz will be really good but if the Sixers drafted Mitchell that would have been a really fun Sixers team to watch.

I think the Sixers are a really fun team to watch as is. Simmons and Embiid are monsters

Having a player with elite speed and length combined with vision can really break open an offense. Look at the play @ 0:21, you're forcing rotations that the defense is not ready for as they might be in PNR coverage. This is why I thinking letting Exum walk would be a mistake because if it comes together (and I think it will), he is an absolute difference maker.

Him starting his drive while catching the pass makes him even faster.

It’s a pretty good offensive system for him because he’s not a full pg imo.

With a tighter handle and pull-up game he can absolutely be a full-time PG, and that's where his ceiling is the highest.